Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Painting engine tin
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 6:51 am    Post subject: Painting engine tin Reply with quote

Would appreciate any tips relating to painting engine tin. Thanks
dstefun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 12:15 am    Post subject: Painting engine tin Reply with quote

The best job would be to glass bead it and then get it powder-coated. If that's not in the budget then clean and prep it well (sand all rust to bare metal and prep as necessary)POR-15 rust coating is great if it's really bad. Otherwise just prime bare spots and paint. Rustoleum makes a great poof can in gloss, flat, or satin black. Stay away from the cheapo poof cans and you'll do just fine.
ekimthemad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 8:20 am    Post subject: Painting engine tin Reply with quote

Powder coating would be best but you would be better off if you sand blasted instead of glass beading it. The glass bead is round and tends to leave a smooth surface. The rougher surface from sand or aluminum oxide gives the paint or powder something to grab. I did my engine tin (I powder coat for a living) several years ago and it still looks great. It is also easy to clean compared to most paint jobs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 8:30 pm    Post subject: Painting engine tin Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I have read of these terms and have often have wondered just what is powder coating, bead blasting and sandblasting, and where do I go to get any of this done? Thanks.
ekimthemad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 8:44 am    Post subject: Painting engine tin Reply with quote

Well I guess I can answer the question as to what those terms mean since I deal with them everyday. Powder coating is a paint process that is dry. The piece is cleaned either chemically or mechanically (sand blasting) then sprayed with a dry powder. The powder sticks through electrostatic attraction. Then the piece is placed in an oven for anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour or so. Once the piece has cooled it is ready for service. The nice thing with powder is that there are no solvent like liquid paints so it is better for the environment. There also is no lengthy cure time to speak of. It is also much more durable then liquid paint when applied properly.

Sand blasting and bead blasting are technically the same thing. They just use a different media to accomplish the same thing. Basically a media such as sand glass beads, plastic granules, or many other things are used with air pressure to wear away paint and rust. Depending on the desired surface finish required dictates the media used. Generally for powder coating aluminum oxide or sand is best. Most commercial blasters no longer use real sand do to a lung disease called silicosis. Most now use a synthetic.

As to who should do these things for you. Well I would either do it myself if you have the equipment and patience. You could also find a company to do it for you. I would recommend you find someone that is into cars and also someone that will do the blasting and powder coating. If it is a piece that has had grease on it make sure they also thermally degrease it before painting. This means they heat it up and drive any grease from seams and welded areas. Also make sure they have been doing this for awhile and know what needs to be done to the parts as far as masking goes. The last thing you want to have to do is get this stuff out of threads or have to scrape it off of something.

Sorry to be so long winded but I wanted to try and explain as best as possible. If you have any more questions just ask.

Mike Paskiet
Summit Powder Coaters
59 single cab, 69 bus, 73 super beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: