Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas tank removal
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 11:01 pm    Post subject: Gas tank removal Reply with quote

The engine on my 72 Westy is out, the firewall removed, and everything is disconnected from the tank, but there seems to be not enough clearance to pull the tank out. There is a 2" long fitting in the center top rear of the tank which has a hose connected to it for venting. It is about 1/2" in diameter. When I lift the tank to remove it, the fitting hits the roof of the engine compartment. If I try to move the tank to the left, I have a BN4 heater and the tank hits the ductwork that has the heater temerature control cable connected to it (the heate ris removed). The piece of ductwork won't come out unless I remove the control cable (I think), but it appears that the tank has to be out to detach the cable, so i am kinda stuck in a Catch-22 there. I know it has to come out somehow! Any helpful hints appreciated.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 12:46 pm    Post subject: Gas tank removal Reply with quote

Got it out. Some tips on removing tank where ther is a BN4 heater in the engine compartment. Removing heater is not enough, you must remove the piece of ductwork from under the z-bed. This will free up the piece of ductwork that encloses the heater temp control switch and sits right next to the tank. With this piece freed up, you can now move it out of the way and swing the tank out from the left side. Other helpful tips are to disconnect the wires attached to the sender unit, remove blower fan, and remove the charcoal canister if mounted on the roof of the engine compartment.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: