Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Squeaky front end suspension
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aguabonita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Squeaky front end suspension Reply with quote

hey all,
When I hit a dip or bump (of almost any size or traveling at almost any speed) I get an audible squeak up front on the passenger side. Maybe it's more of a squeeshing sound. There is no clunking to my knowledge.

Am I to assume that this is an upper ball joint issue? Or do you folks think it's bushings to blame?

I have fairly new shocks so I don't think it's my shock.
Kevin
kevtherev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bush is a likely candidate....try some silicone spray/release/lube...or cockpit polish...or whatever you doodles call it Very Happy for instant relief

Front upper wishbone bush...squeak means it's worn out
floggingmolly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Squeaky front end suspension Reply with quote

hwy1westy wrote:
When I hit a dip or bump (of almost any size or traveling at almost any speed) I get an audible squeak up front on the passenger side. Maybe it's more of a squeeshing sound. There is no clunking to my knowledge.

Me gots that too. I hear it's the bushing. Loogy posted something about this a coupla days ago, should be on the first or second page here.
tikibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most likely point is the upper control arm bushings.

Does it mean a complete overhaul or a simple squirt of "fix"?

When has your Vanagon been for a front end alignment?

When was the last time the anti-sway bars rubber bushings been replaced?

Are there signs of pulling to the L or R of the Vanagon?

My .02's is that the rubber bushings are toast all over.

Here is the test:

Park V and have a few good folk with you.
Test with your ear when the person(s) rock, jump, shake V.
Find the squeak.
This means No Beers to make a keen ear.
Founding member of the Empire State VW Camping Club.
http://www.empirevwcamping.org/
1984 Westy - Tiki
1997 Honda Civic -The Green Hornet
1971 Volvo P-1800E- needs TLC
aguabonita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, well I don't seem to be swaying all over and the alignment seems good to me.

I guess what i'm most worried about is whether it is a ball joint. From what I understand (which is very little Rolling Eyes ) if one of those fails it could be bad, very bad indeed.

So how do you know whether it's a ball joint, because if it is a ball joint i'll get it replaced quickly? If it's a bushing I figure I can wait a bit.
Kev
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanagons tend to wear the upper bj's, and not the lowers. The painless procedure to replace the upper bj's involves releasing the upper control arm from the spindle (where the ubj resides). At this point, you have the upper control arm just about off the vehicle.

I say do both, upper control arm bushings and upper ball joints, then get her aligned. Get the Febi bushings (as per Loogy). See rockauto.com.

Salud!

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

riceye wrote:
Vanagons tend to wear the upper bj's, and not the lowers. The painless procedure to replace the upper bj's involves releasing the upper control arm from the spindle (where the ubj resides). At this point, you have the upper control arm just about off the vehicle.

I say do both, upper control arm bushings and upper ball joints, then get her aligned. Get the Febi bushings (as per Loogy). See rockauto.com.

Salud!

I'm looking at the same combination of projects. UBJ and upper control arm bushings.

I'm assuming, besides the regular process of getting the UBJ replaced, adding the bushings to the job will also require compressing/removing the spring, and also removing the shock. Am I correct in this? Any gotchas I need to be aware of?

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the Bentley, but I don't remember having to compress the spring to replace the ubj's, and the shock stays put. Jack up the front and support with stands under the body, not the lower control arm. All the pressure should be off the upper control arm.

There are two socket head capscrews holding the control arm to the ball joint. Clean them up well before torquing on them with an Allen wrench. After releasing the ball joint, just remove the upper control arm shaft, and the upper control arm is ripe for the picking. Be sure to keep all the parts in their original location wrt right and left.

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hiram6 wrote:

I'm assuming, besides the regular process of getting the UBJ replaced, adding the bushings to the job will also require compressing/removing the spring, and also removing the shock. Am I correct in this? Any gotchas I need to be aware of?

The spring does not need to be compressed. In fact, if you leave the shocks attached, you can leave the whole suspension hanging (as in the van is up on jack stands and the jackstands are under the body, not the suspension) and still get the upper control arm off with no problems. Like riceye said, clean all of the crap out of the allen headed bolts before trying to remove them.

If you are careful and do not let the long bolt (the one that goes through the upper bushings) turn, you can mark the location of the eccentric washers so that when you put it back together, your alignment won't be too far off. You will still need to get an alignment though.

Since you are replacing the upper ball joints, a pickle fork works pretty well for removing the upper ball joint from the upright.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I'm ordering the bushings from rockauto today. I'm sure their inventory turns on this specific item have increased dramatically in the last few days!

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
captainpartytime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting new tires next week on my '82 diesel westy w/o power steering. I had planned on getting an alignment and then replacing the UBJ, Control Arm Bushing, Tie Rod Ends, Sway Bars, Wheel Bearings. It sounds like I should replace all the mechanical stuff first and then get the alignment. Does this seem correct?

1982 turbo diesel Westfalia
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Always get an alignment after replacing wheels, tires, or suspension components. Never before.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
aguabonita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,
I will definitely replace my upper control arm bushings. It sounds as though these are the most common to give out. I squirted them with some Liquid Wrench to no avail. Oh well.

What about those ball joints though? I still don't know how to tell if those should be switched out. Those seem like more of a pain from what i've read and i've already spent a bunch on the Van in the past couple months. I do want to be safe though so if need be...

Stupid van. I love her but...
Kevin
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hwy1westy wrote:
What about those ball joints though? I still don't know how to tell if those should be switched out.

After you have the front wheels pulled off, clean out the two allen headed bolts that attach the upper ball joint to the upper control arm and remove them. Now you can swing the upper control arm free of the upright. At this point you can inspect the upper balljoint looking for a torn boot or any play between the ball and socket.

That is all that is needed to check the upper ball joint.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
smithnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar noise on my '84 westy, and the bushings fixed it. I replaced the upper ball joint at the same time, then broke the lower two weeks later. I replaced all of the rubber components, ball joints, and tierods in the front suspension and my van felt so much better. You can get it close by marking the eccentric bolt, but with new bushings, and ball joints it is going to need an alignment.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think two problems are slowly being conflated here. Squeaking upper control arm bushings does not mean that they are worn out. That determination is made by looking at how the spindle is centered in the bushing, as shown in Bentley. The squeaking is another problem but is not a symptom of imminent bushing failure.

I've had my van for ten years and in that time I've put 140k miles on it, including a lot of off-road exploring in addition to the 3 miles of torture it has to endure daily just to get in and out of my residence. The bushings have squeaked the entire time. The spindles are nonetheless dead on center. The rig has gone thru several sets of tires in that time, which wore evenly, and has been aligned every time it gets new rubber. The alignments haven't required more than the slightest adjustments; my alignment shop issues a before/after sheet of the figures, and the before figures are always basically in range.

When I bought it it had torn UBJ boots, so I replaced the joints. Very easy. I also replaced the wheel bearings, and the track rod bushings both sides because I thought those were the cause of the squeaking. Obviously they weren't. Those UBJ boots tore in a short time, and I just last year finally put on two new UBJ's.

The upper bushings are still perfectly centered, and they still sound like a bag o' rats.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.

Last edited by tencentlife on Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
allsierra123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are the bushiongs soft rubber or are they a poly bushing? I had the same squeeks in a jetta some years back and I replaced the soft rubber with a poly kit and never had them again.
tikibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tencentlife is right...

Hate to say it... Cool

Here is my skinny of the squeak. The other post I led you to have at least 3 persons to push down on the front suspension. One on the front bumper, the other two to be at Drivers side and Passenger side.
You say push down. Your UNDER the Vanagon. Listen. Hence, no Beers. Track the Squeak.

The Vanagon doesn't veer L or R. Doesn't "clunk" with a stout bump to the suspension. The Upper and Lower Ball Joints won't let you know there F-ed until it is too late.

My .02's is this. Replace all rubber. Yup. If the Squeak is that uproarious to the point of pulling hair out of your head...

I live with mine. Whaa you say????

Replaced all the front rubber and it still squeaks. I did it. Still Squeaks!
Arrgh! I feel like the Charlie Brown of Vanagons.

Sometimes, ya just gotta do the job and it still drives you mad that it does what it does, just to let YOU know that your not the Master of Be All.
Founding member of the Empire State VW Camping Club.
http://www.empirevwcamping.org/
1984 Westy - Tiki
1997 Honda Civic -The Green Hornet
1971 Volvo P-1800E- needs TLC
aguabonita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikibus wrote:

Sometimes, ya just gotta do the job and it still drives you mad that it does what it does, just to let YOU know that your not the Master of Be All.

oh trust me, this van has caused a paradigm shift in my relationship with cars. This has become the age of the demise of the Kevincentric universe and has slowly evolved into the Vanacentric universe.

Good points made by all. Bushing are all rubber. Tired, old rubber at that. But the spindle seems pretty well centered still, though I haven't taken the wheel off so I don't know if my point of view has been skewed. Just haven't had the time. I'll check things out more closely over the upcoming 3-day wknd. I'll also try tiki's vanagon bounce methodology as well.

I appreciate the advice and encouragement given.
Kebmo
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: