Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to Use Paypal to Make a Payment for Samba Parts
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: How to Use Paypal to Make a Payment for Samba Parts Reply with quote

Moderator notes:
Photos and information updated on April 4, 2013 by EverettB
Contact EverettB if you have any questions or additional information that should be added to the first post in this thread.
If you pay someone as a "Gift" you will not have any recourse if a problem occurs. Avoid this practice.

==========================================================

Tutorial

Most Samba buyers and sellers use Paypal - here's how to avoid problems.

Paypal is more familiar to the eBay user, where it is fully integrated and payments can be made with a single click once an auction ends. Some people are not even aware you can use Paypal outside of eBay so a tutorial is provided below.

To efficiently use Paypal to buy you should do the following

Before using Paypal to pay a Seller

Address
If you do not have an address listed in your Paypal profile, automatic shipping will not work. You will not be able to track your parts - the seller may have to send you clarification emails and may even refuse to sell to you until the address is filled out. Make sure it is current and correct too!

Paypal Balance or "E-Checks"
It's best to set up Paypal automatic bank transfers OR keep a balance in your Paypal account. Using the E-Check option can delay your transaction as most sellers will want to wait for an E-Check to clear before shipping parts, which can take a few days or even longer.

How to use Paypal to Pay

1. Go to http://www.paypal.com
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2. Enter your Login and Password

3. Click "Send Money"

4. Enter TRADING PARTNER's EMAIL ADDRESS into the "To" box

5. Enter the payment amount into the "Amount" box

6. Click "Goods"
Note:
If you pay someone as a "Gift" you will not have any recourse if a problem occurs. Avoid this practice.

7. Click "Continue"

The next screen will confirm the amount and contact information

8. Confirm your payment amount

9. Confirm your shipping address
(Address was omitted in screen capture below for privacy)

10. Cut & Paste the Samba Item description into "subject" or enter a suitable description for the item

11. In the message type in the following:
Link to Samba ad or any additional specific information you need to send.

12. Click on "SEND MONEY" button

13. Done.

Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice. The same holds true for people mailing payment via snail mail. I hate it when I get payment a couple of weeks after the fact and I have to deduce what it's for.
Tim10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icy..

I always insist they email a copy of the money order and include our emails in their payment.

Money orders only show up 1/2 the time and frequently don't have required clues.

T.
Tim10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHECK YOUR ADDRESS

I just had an instance where someone moved.. the shipping documents showed his prior address. Unfortunatley from this side it's tough to tell who lives where.

Tim

Last edited by Tim10 on Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAILING ADDRESS

If you move - file for forwarding address service with the United States Post Office.

Then edit and save your new mailing address in Paypal.

Unfortunately I had to pay to get a properly address part back from the postal service - I'll then have to pay to send it again.
Tim10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shipping Mistake - Please Use Full information in paypal - Tyler Davison and Edward Hatcher

I received a Paypal that only said "this is Tyler" the other one said "looking forward to the cups" Unfortunately abbreviated notes are tough to figure out.

Copy of note to 2 parties

Unfortunately there has been a misshipment that I'm going to ask you two to
    help clear up.

I shipped some CV cups to the wrong addrress - they went to Tyler Davidson
    instead of Edward Hatcher.

Unfortunately it's common to receive abbreviated information.

Tyler.. please send the CV Cups to EDWARD HATCHER (address below). OR do not
    open the box and return to sender. I'll pay postage either way.

Please confirm this message
    Tim

Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another way to complete a transaction through paypal is to use the money request feature. This makes the transaction easier on the buyer and ensures the seller knows what item or service the transaction is for.

Here's how it works.

The buyer and seller agree to the transaction. The seller goes to paypal and fills out the money request form including the buyers email address. This creates an "invoice" that is sent to the buyer via email. The buyer can then click his way through to make a payment. If the buyer decides not to buy or does not respond to the request, the request will expire after a few days.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anchovy wrote:
Another way to complete a transaction through paypal is to use the money request feature. This makes the transaction easier on the buyer and ensures the seller knows what item or service the transaction is for.

This is a bit kinder than I would have said. I started doing that because some of my buyers were too retarded to figure out how to send $.

This brings up another recent change in PP.

Some PP users will know that there are 3 types of PP accounts. Personal, Premier, and Merchant.
The majority of users have a Premier account, so this does not apply to them.

The Personal account does allow some transfers without any service charges. If the sender has funds in his account, your Personal acct can receive it without any fee. I found that for small amounts, usually buyers have enough in their account so they don't have to use their credit card.

Last month, PP changed the rules a bit. If you send a $ request like Anchovy described above, PP now looks at this as a business transaction, so they now charge a fee even though the buyer has the $ in his account. To avoid this fee, you now have to get the buyer to initiate the transaction. In this case, there's no fee. You also have to get the buyer to select the "Personal" tab, not the "Purchase" tab.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
werksberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I hate when I get a Paypal payment with no message what the payment is for and since I don't have a crystal ball.....

My ads have this and if buyers would use it, the world goes on most easily:

Copy, fill this out & paste it in the “message section” at Paypal:

Part # 30-405-71/79
Description: ’71-’79 Bus ABS lower front kick panels
Year and model of your vehicle:
Samba Screen name:
Area code & Phone number:
Any special instructions:

But maybe Paypal needs to make the message link LARGER so people could see it better & use it easier too.

Follow my new products on my Facebook Werks Berg
Click the below ADs link for products & feedback.
Search "werksberg" on Photobucket for products photos & Please remember to buy "American made products!"
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

werksberg wrote:
Yea, I hate when I get a Paypal payment with no message what the payment is for and since I don't have a crystal ball.....

My ads have this and if buyers would use it, the world goes on most easily:

Copy, fill this out & paste it in the “message section” at Paypal:

Part # 30-405-71/79
Description: ’71-’79 Bus ABS lower front kick panels
Year and model of your vehicle:
Samba Screen name:
Area code & Phone number:
Any special instructions:

But maybe Paypal needs to make the message link LARGER so people could see it better & use it easier too.

One way to sort out which part is being purchased is through pricing.

If you make the pricing a little different by item you will know which item is being paid for without the buyer telling you. For example, charge $25.00 for item "A" and charge $25.50 for item "B". When the payment comes through without a comment, you can tie the transaction to the part by the value.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
girlwithtruck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: so can i use pay pal to buy a car on samba? Reply with quote

will it work when buying a car on samba?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: so can i use pay pal to buy a car on samba? Reply with quote

girlwithtruck wrote:

You use Paypal for anything, as long as the buyer accepts it.

A lot of people will not want to take paypal for a vehicle sale though because of various reasons - fees involved, the fact that you can dispute it later when vehicles sales are typically "as is" and considered final, and so on.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
werksberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some recent changes at Paypal:

If you leave a message with your purchase, it shows up in the automated e-mail sent the seller but not on the PP spread sheet......unless you run the cursor over the sheet icon to the far left. I found that out the hard way! Rolling Eyes

I tried to talk to PP that they left off the message buyers sent on the spread sheet but all the supervisor stated was "....if it's not ebay related, we don't care...!" Twisted Evil

But here's a little trick I just saw...if a buyer sends a purchase payment as a Gift (or maybe services) there's no fee charged to the seller but no shipping address shows up. So the buyer really needs to state their shipping address!

More games from PP.... Wink

Search "werksberg" on Photobucket for products photos & Please remember to buy "American made products!"
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

werksberg wrote:
If you leave a message with your purchase, it shows up in the automated e-mail sent the seller but not on the PP spread sheet......unless you run the cursor over the sheet icon to the far left. I found that out the hard way! Rolling Eyes

I noticed this too - totally annoying.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: so can i use pay pal to buy a car on samba? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
girlwithtruck wrote:

You use Paypal for anything, as long as the buyer accepts it.

A lot of people will not want to take paypal for a vehicle sale though because of various reasons - fees involved, the fact that you can dispute it later when vehicles sales are typically "as is" and considered final, and so on.

Some more detail:
When you send a deposit through Paypal it is non-refundable. So for a seller this can be good - the buyer cannot get a deposit back for any reason.

Paypal only allows disputes on full and complete payments so deposits are excluded.
werksberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in a PP dispute over a $150 Ford solid lifter kit from ebay. The buyer states it was not as advertised, but calls me to tell me that USPS damage the package (the same package type that I have sent 25+ kits the same way) and the largest bagged parts are missing. The much cheaper small parts are there....go figure!

I tell him to go to PO to see if they are there & file a claim with the PO but he just states he is filing with Paypal instead...

I write in the PP dispute I will replace the missing parts, free. Next thing I know I get a message he is sending back the parts he got and for full refund.

But it comes to my home instead of the business PO box! WTF! Paypal gave out my personal information! Evil or Very Mad

I'm out the cost of the kit & the sale price too! Nearly $300 and the guy never had to prove it was damage. I know if a USPS package is damaged during delivery, the Post man will ask the receiver if they want to make a claim.

I'm trying a last ditch effort to get back the value of the solid lifters that he kept, but I'm not holding my breath! Evil or Very Mad

I'm done with my rant.... Rolling Eyes

Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

werksberg wrote:

But here's a little trick I just saw...if a buyer sends a purchase payment as a Gift (or maybe services) there's no fee charged to the seller but no shipping address shows up.

I've been using that trick for a while now. You really have to know what you're doing to get it right, so I include the following instructions to follow after they enter your email and the amount:

click on the "Personal Tab",
Then click on "other", then "send"

It only gets to you without the fee if they had the $$ in their PP acct already. Credit card gets the fee every time. I find for small value parts (less than $50), most people have the cash waiting in their acct.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ed Economy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Pay Pal problems with international shipping labels Reply with quote

I hope this is the right place for this...
Anybody had Pay Pal problems with international shipping labels ?
I recently got a new computer & printer, when I sell a item on Samba and they pay with pay pal I pay and make my shipping labels from the pay pal website online real easy to do.
Today I had a couple of International samba sales Canada & UK after when I paid for my shipping labels it is blank and says I need to install Java TM or Java 2 runtime environment Click on here, I have reinstalled every form of new Java available and still nothing. The Java site says I am good to go but every time I try to remake the label it cost me $10.88 and I get the same pop up that says do a Java update after 3 hours today I am ready to throw in the towel on any international sales. I just gave both guys full refunds for now. Anybody gone thru this?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't done any in a while (a month?) but I've never had any trouble. I don't print international stuff on labels though, I print it on paper since it prints out multiples pages.

I have had that Java thing come up but I just installed it and it worked.

You shouldn't have to pay again though? I thought you could reprint the same label for up to 24 hours. I know I have done that on USA labels.

You can also cancel unused labels and get your money back but I assume you are doing that already.
Blaubus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buyers, PLEASE
Update your paypal shipping address if you move.

every other transaction i make these days gets shipped to the old out of date shipping address. and then, the buyer emails me to tell me about it! WHY? i cannot magically bring that package back!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: