Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

fuel pump (help)
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 9:11 am    Post subject: fuel pump (help) Reply with quote

My 1978 Westfalia .I have never seen this problem before. How can I fix it? It appears that my fuel pump is always running, even with the key turned off. The only way I have found to turn it off is by pulling the battery cable off. When I try to start it, it is flooded although I have managed to get it running by hooking a battery charger to it for a little extra kick and cranking the heck out of it. After it started, it ran fine. After I shut it off, I couldn't start it again and the fuel pump kept running. I need help quick, I am planning a trip in this thing
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 10:46 pm    Post subject: fuel pump (help) Reply with quote

Sounds like it could be a stuck or defective double relay...., should be on the eginge compt firewall left side????
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dstefun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 11:01 pm    Post subject: fuel pump (help) Reply with quote

As I understand it, the fuel pump is controlled by a double relay which is controlled by the computer. The computer gets its signal from the air flow meter, which must be open (engine getting air) for the pump to work.

So you could have a stuck relay or an air flow meter stuck open, or a bad computer.

Good luck! The VW F.I. workshop manual is at http://www.conservatory.com/vw/manuals_nyx/L-Jetronic.html

I think one test you could do would be to disconnect the battery (DO THIS FIRST!), pull the big plug off the computer and then connect the battery. If the pump still comes on without the computer even connected, it almost has to be a stuck relay. (The other side of the relay fuel pump connection goes direct to battery +.)

NEVER connect or disconnect the computer without disconnecting the battery first or you run the chance of blowing the computer.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: