Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

lug nuts
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
revned_churchof42@hotmail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 11:50 pm    Post subject: lug nuts Reply with quote

I have a 71 t2 westy, switched the wheels to 300 series mercedes, looks nice, cool. Here's the prob, All the parts dealers say I have lug bolts, wrong! I have 14mm ball seat nuts. I suppose one of the two past owners switched to studs and nuts, so instead of switching back, I'm looking for a good set of ball seat lug nuts (14mm), closed end, and don't cost $12.00 each, as I need 20. Could some wonderful somebody point this greatful dead head in the proper direction?
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 7:31 am    Post subject: lug nuts Reply with quote

Try a good foreign auto parts recycler- They may have what you need, used. if that doesn't work, try tire rack, or discount tire- both ave websites, and handle all sorts of wheels and accessories, so may be able to supply what you are looking for.
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 3:41 pm    Post subject: lug nuts Reply with quote

They are available at BusDepot.com
http://199.217.241.240/octpartsimages/251-601-139.JPG

Or, if you feel like paying lots of money,
they are called part # N201121 at http://www.justkampers.co.uk/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
revned_churchof42@hotmail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 6:48 pm    Post subject: lug nuts Reply with quote

I've searched every parts dealer and wheel house in ca. central valley, all the wheel and tire web sites, well a lot anyway, bone yards, etc... I guess it's Porche nuts or switch back to bolts. Bolts me thinks. But hey, thank you so much for your input, I do appreciate it. And, Static, I said I was looking for nuts, you sent me a link for bolts. I love the justcampers.co.uk, but could not find so much as a wheel, let alone something to hold it on.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: lug nuts Reply with quote

Ok perfect. I wanted to find the oldest thread I could and breath some life into it. Laughing

I just swapped over to VW/Audi 15" steel rims. As you will notice in the pic they have smaller seats than the stock 14's. That's because they must of had 12 x 1.5 Studs or Lug bolts. The Bay uses a stock 14 x 1.5 studs. Funny as one would think the Bay wouldn't be able to slip these rims on at a smaller size.

I am presently using the stock Bay lug nuts to hold these on. But the seat being smaller on the new rims, the nuts barley seat in the rim. Also the stud is to short and Im not even using all the thread inside the nut.

So at a minimum I was looking into new longer studs. But I was wondering if I should get 12 x 1.5's with new nuts or should I keep the 14 x 1.5's and open the nut seats some how?

Im not even sure I can go down to 12's from 14's with the hole size for the stud press ins?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: lug nuts Reply with quote

A lathe with a ball turning or radius toolpost could resize the seating areas on the nuts easily.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: lug nuts Reply with quote

Was there even internet in 2002?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: lug nuts Reply with quote

Yes, but it was reeeeeeeaaaaaaallllyy slow if the operator went on a break.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: lug nuts Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
A lathe with a ball turning or radius toolpost could resize the seating areas on the nuts easily.

I figured. May have my guy look at it.

And to answer the OP - 71 was the first year of small 5 and Lug nuts with studs. Rolling Eyes Wink Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: