Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Normal Oil Temp for a Bus...
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 7:32 am    Post subject: Normal Oil Temp for a Bus... Reply with quote

I recently installed a Gene Berg dipstick oil temp sensor (GB228) on my '77 Westy (2.0L FI). The temp sensor is calibrated to turn the oil light on when the temp. reaches 220-225F. I just took my first sustained (1hr) drive this morning with the temp. sensor installed and the light was flickering on and off for the majority of the drive (never came on completely solid).

I have read/heard many differing opinions on "normal" running temps. for busses most of which say they run in the 230-250F range. If this is the case it would make sense that the light would flicker as I am probably running right at 220 or so.

Any feedback on "normal" running temps. for a bus w/ a 2L? just wanted to confirm my theory and put my overheating paranoia to rest.

thanks!
DRS1984
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 2:22 pm    Post subject: Normal Oil Temp for a Bus... Reply with quote

my bus rarely gets above 210, and thats on a long drive, on hot roads. however mine is a 69 bus with an upright 1600. i don't really have much experience with a 2liter engine. but i noticed that nobody has been replying to yer message so i figured that any info is better than none.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 9:06 pm    Post subject: Normal Oil Temp for a Bus... Reply with quote

Alot would depend on how old (milage) your engine is... what grade oil you run and if your engine compartment is sealed up properly, gaps in the tin or an old foam seal or none at all will definantly make your temps higher. Oil really begins to cook down and the life of it is decreased at 230 (conventional and most multigrades, have not tested any other synthetics or such myself) I prefer to run 20w50 and on an older engines in the Texas heat I will not hesitate to add a product such as "LUCAS" oil stabilizer, it's a proven product in my book...
Proper maintenance, timing settings and octane as well as your load will also affect the temps.....as well as the ambient temp out on the highway... I think 230 250 is high, anything over 220 or so means there may be an underlying problem such as debris on the oil cooler or other things that can be easily seen as noted above...
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joel Rosado
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 7:53 pm    Post subject: Normal Oil Temp for a Bus... Reply with quote

MY BUS RARELLY PASS THE 180 F MARK AND I LIVE IN THE CARRIBBEAN;DANNY
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: