Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clockwise or counter-clockwise
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nor_AL_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Clockwise or counter-clockwise Reply with quote

Hi, sorry for the noobish question, have searched forums and am still not sure so here goes. I'm trying to lower my 67 down one outer spline and so I pull the swing arm out and rotate it counter-clockwise? With a inclinometer gauge it now reads 19.5 deg with no spring tension. So one outer spline would it read approximately 18.5 deg?

For anyone new to this procedure it took me about 30 minutes to get to this point in the lowering process.

Thanks for any help. Scott

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
junk4cash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll want to go counter clockwise. Mark the notches and go up one notch. The springplate on mine was nearly level when I was finished. Not sure how many clicks I went ( I think 1) but the meter was right in the middle at 0 degrees. Good luck !
Nor_AL_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks that's what I was thinking, and I guess it will read approximately 11.5 deg since 360/44 splines is about 8 deg per spline.
junk4cash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds correct to me. Just make sure you don't pull the torsion bar out with the spring plate. Also, don't go down too far. I did mine and put it all back together then realized that I went down to far and the thing was slammed. Remember, when you're done, roll your car backwards to settle it. If you just let it down, you might not think you lowered it enough.
Mr. Bungle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you've got a good handle on it.

remember to rotate the spring plate clockwise on the passenger side tho!! Wink

Zundfolge Car Club

Stock Motor Challenge website
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66zeke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man i set mine up so the spring plate is level and now i cant really get out of my driveway Sad
junk4cash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

66zeke wrote:
man i set mine up so the spring plate is level and now i cant really get out of my driveway Sad

Hmmm... maybe mine was 10 degrees. It's been a while since I did it. So are you gonna go up a notch then ? It really will surprise you how much it will drop when you roll the car back so the camber settles.
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reindexing the torsion bars, make sure the spring plate is pushed on all the way. Then stick 2 of the big bolts back in to hold the axle in place.

Jump up and down on the bumber (if you have one) or do what ever you need to do to make sure it is settled into the new height BEFORE tightening everything back up.

If you went too low, or not low enough, it's nice to find that out before you have it all buttoned up.

Also, don't forget about your rear wheel alignment when you are done. You need to make sure you have the toe set and that it is the same on both sides.
HERC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All excellent info....
Also, just as a basic reference. One outter notch should put your plates just about dead even with the spring plate resting stops.
(These are the stops that you pryed your plates off of to get them relaxed)
Nor_AL_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all, for all the great hints and tips. It was much easier than I guessed, probably the hardest part was getting the toe-in adjustment back as I had marked. I used a brass bearing punch to 'nudge' it back to the previous position.

I also purchased a couple 1.5" bolts to get the outer torsion cover back on. I screwed two on to get the cover tight and then was able to put the original bolts in with no problem.

The inclinometer reading was just as the math told me it would be, that was reassuring. It will be a while until I can put it back on the ground as I have a 3.5" narrowed beam being built Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: