Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

73 questions
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 5:00 pm    Post subject: 73 questions Reply with quote

i am the proud new owner of a 73 bus. well actually i will be tommorow when we sign papers but anyway. i have a couple questions. can i put the crank out camper type windows on my bus without major modification? did 73's come with dual carbs or did i luck out? it needs an exhaust system what do you all recomend? and where is a good place to get parts. i.e. rear seat etc. and lastly how do i find out what model mine is? it has an outside electric hook up with 3 plugs inside, large windows with smokers vents and a roof mounted vent. their are no seats in the rear. thanks in advance josh
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 5:16 pm    Post subject: 73 questions Reply with quote

oh and what size motor do i have? sorry so many questions but i was a bug guy for a while then got into jeeps for a couple years so i am kinda startin from scratch here
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 5:47 pm    Post subject: 73 questions Reply with quote

I think the camper (jalousy) windows in with no problem. They screw in so you would have to do that. 72-74 Buses came stock with dual carbs, you're lucky yours still has them (mine doesn't) I am looking for the right exhaust for mine so I can't help you yet there. If you don't have any rear seats at all I would recommend scrounging through junkyards for some.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 6:36 pm    Post subject: 73 questions Reply with quote

cool thanks
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 6:41 pm    Post subject: 73 questions Reply with quote

you can have the exhaust off mine if you want it the previous owner ran flex hose from the exchangers to 2 big ole cherry bombs that are clamped to the bumper. it sounds pretty cool but will never pass inspection in PA. oh and my fiance just reminded me its a 72 not a 73
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 6:47 pm    Post subject: 73 questions Reply with quote

good purchase, ive had my 73 westy for about 5 years, empi makes a decent dual exhaust set up for it, runs about $100, you can get it from kustom1 wearhouse in cali, motorworks here in colorado, and quite a few other places, just pick up a vw trends or hot vw's and look at the advertisements in there, it should have a 1700cc engine, dual carbs, you might have the old oil bath set up, i put dual webers on mine, i believe they are 38's, great improvement from the old set up, the camper windows will install with no problem, best thing to do for seats is look in the junk yards, and here on thesamba, lots of people parting out buses, ive seen quite a few 72 and 73's being parted out.
good luck
keep on busin
Tyler
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 6:53 pm    Post subject: 73 questions Reply with quote

also, for parts check out, www.gowesty.com
www.busdepot.com
www.motorworks.com
with the electricle outlet i would assume its a westfalia, but you never know, does it have a pop-top??
well.....have fun:)
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 8:31 am    Post subject: 73 questions Reply with quote

it doesn't have a pop top. it does have a little fold out table. as for carbs i think they may be aftermarket they have K&N filters that are extremely dirty. i am so happy i found this site, since i really dont know any one who has any experience with bus' my dad was big into bugs so i have some help. my plan is to make it a weekend campin toy its pretty ruff right now but solid it looks like its been painted at least 10 times with with everything from sprasy bombs to rollers so i am gonna have to take it down to bare metal ugh! thyanks for all your help
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 9:22 am    Post subject: 73 questions Reply with quote

Not a Westy. All Westys have crank out windows already. There were seveal other camper mfg. but I think they were all pop tops. Sounds like a custom job to me. If you want to make it a camper, a full width Z bed would give you a seat and a bed. They are on here all the time.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 2:13 pm    Post subject: 73 questions Reply with quote

well i picked it up today and have been drivin around for 3 hours i love it. i also found out more info from the owner he says the guy before him rebiult the motor and worked it a bit and the carbs are after market. it does move alot faster than i thought a bus would when i test drove it i didn't take it out on the road because iot had no tags.
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 6:45 pm    Post subject: 73 questions Reply with quote

No tags? That's never stopped us from driving!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 6:51 pm    Post subject: 73 questions Reply with quote

i agree, i just got done putting my interior back in and drove it around with out insurance, some things you just have to do,
keep on busin,
and have fun with it,
Tyler
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 4:56 am    Post subject: 73 questions Reply with quote

well since the police station was right next door to where i bought it i settled for drivin all around his yard. i drove it all last night i must say it is one of the coolest vehichles i have ever owned and with that rigged exhaust i get more looks than a ferrari would.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: