Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Safari window for a Vanagon?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Rear Safari window for a Vanagon? Reply with quote

I was just going thru the Bay Window gallery when I spotted this image,
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I am seriously jealous here. Does anyone make this for Vanagons?

I know that when moving this window would suck exhaust right into the Van but still... I wan't it!

Picture this as a Vanagon with a kayak sticking out instead of a surfboard!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about picturing a Kayak on the roof like where it belongs,
not crowding the interior, getting the back seat/bed wet and muddy/sandy..
Imag: http://www.telusplanet.net/public/gary2a/rack/roof/boatload/roofrackskayak1.jpg

now for a nice nights sleep on a stuffy night.. I can picture opening the back glass some..

I've had thoughts of buying a back door from an american full size van and welding/grafting in the rear pop out section metal and pieces.
will likely make that attempt on one of my spare back hatchs this winter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pete000
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish they made one, Doubt it would be very easy to do because of the way the glass is installed.
Koni Shocks
H & R Red Springs
Addco Sway Bars Front-Rear
18 X 7.5 and 18 X 8 OEM Porsche Wheels
Recaro Power-Heated seats
westernair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I so much want one for my Doka!
I have considered even taking a side slide window and modifing the frame to fit and then have new glass cut for it.
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westernair wrote:
I have considered even taking a side slide window and modifing the frame to fit and then have new glass cut for it.

I like that idea... almost more than the Safari window. In fact, with a slider it would be easy to make a short trip from the lumber yard with some long molding sticking out the back, although sucking in exhaust is still a concern. The Safari would look cooler, but I think the slider is a good option.
zohami
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a good place to start.

http://eisparts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=EIS/CTGY/SAFARI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, a rear safari window for a Vanagon would be pretty easy to do. The Vanagon windows are held in place with flanged rubber just like 50-79 buses. The same hardware and seal design would work. They'd just need to custom fabricate the glass and metal frame.

I like the idea. Someone should get a list of interested parties together and then approach one of the safari reproduction manufacturers.

David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allsierra123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be really awsome. I like the idea. It would also make the vehicle a bit more versatile.
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would be willing to put together an effort and try izzy's, as they are local to me. those windows aren't cheap, but it would be cool! i would be in just for dog ventilation alone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
allsierra123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if they could be fitted with small gas shocks so they could open way up.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Vanagon rear Safari Reply with quote

Please take into consideration that the Vanagon lift gate glass is Curved. All of the "Safari" style windows you see,are easily made because the frames are a standard extrusion and once you figure out how to bend it,you attach a hinge and pivot tabs and other pieces and get your "FLAT" glass and cut it.
Bending glass is an expensive operation and not one meant for a low production project.
If you could find some way to attach hinges and accessories to a factory glass,then maybe, but remember Tempered glass can not be cut drilled or modified.
Any way nice 85 Crew on the Hawaiian guys header.

Stacy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westernair wrote:

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon rear Safari Reply with quote

stacy schneider wrote:
Please take into consideration that the Vanagon lift gate glass is Curved. All of the "Safari" style windows you see,are easily made because the frames are a standard extrusion and once you figure out how to bend it,you attach a hinge and pivot tabs and other pieces and get your "FLAT" glass and cut it.

Stacy

Yeah, I thought about that, but it seems like a flat, framed window would fit the aperture just fine. It just wouldn't look as sleek. I don't know, though. I'll have to look at my van when I get home.

David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steelhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing it might suck fumes under some conditions. Only one a way to find out (take out the window and temporarily mount something at an angle to test).
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that the rear safari window would suck in exhaust. When they first started coming out for the aircooled busses that was the first thing people learned. I was driving my 2wd on some dirt roads in big sur and the front was a little dusty, while the rear of the van was covered with silt. I even was able to fool some tourists into thinking I was coming back from baja from the amount of dirt on the back. All of that dirt along with exhaust would be in my van with a rear safari. I think that safari's are sick and would love to have them, but they are not recommended to be used while driving.
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, i just want something for my mutts while i'm parked. they aren't allowed in the passenger area. i didn't realize the back was curved, sure doesn't look it. i think that would make it pretty hard to get one made.

maybe pop out side windows....drivers side that is Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
When they first started coming out for the aircooled busses that was the first thing people learned.... I think that safari's are s[l]ick and would love to have them, but they are not recommended to be used while driving.

I assume you meant "slick" instead of "sick" Smile

That shouldn't have been any surprise to the Safari window builders... and they should have warned folks about it when they bought them. All the 70's era American vans had warnings on the back windows not to drive with them popped open because you would suck in exhaust fumes.

Back in the days before A/C they sold deflectors that you could mount on either side of the back of a station wagon so that you could drive with the rear window open. The deflectors (like smaller versions of those cheesy "wings" punks put on the trunks of their Japanese sedans) would deflect air around the side of the car into the turbulent area in the back and keep the exhaust from trying to fill in the area. My dad had them on our Dodge station wagon and they seemed to work pretty well... either that or the CO and leaded gas fumes are part of the reason my memory is so shot today! Smile

I like the idea of hinging the window enough to install lift struts so that you can actually load the back area of the van through the window. That is sounding pretty tricky since it was pointed out that the window is curved. Maybe the way to go is Safari windows on either side in back like some pickup shells have. Then you could drive with them cracked open and you would only have to worry about the wind tearing them off at high speed.
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volksaholic wrote:
Maybe the way to go is Safari windows on either side in back like some pickup shells have. Then you could drive with them cracked open and you would only have to worry about the wind tearing them off at high speed.

i don't know about either side, i for one KNOW that me, my wife or my daughter would eventually open the slider while the side window was open Smile
allsierra123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you could source the south african slider. Its not cheap and you would have to figure out how to get it to the US. But its been done on the rear side window.
vwlovr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

allsierra123 wrote:
Well you could source the south african slider. Its not cheap and you would have to figure out how to get it to the US. But its been done on the rear side window.

yeah, i thought the SA slider was bigger. the euro one is the way to go, but you could spend $800 to fit both windows
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: