Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Does this happen often to you?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Does this happen often to you? Reply with quote

So its Sunday morning and I'm at home doing a little clean up from the night before when I get a knock on the door. An older man is standing on my porch and after I greet him he tells me he is from Dallas Texas and he will buy my buses (almost as if he was doing me a favor). Honestly, I'm a little offended. There are no other cars in my driveway besides air cooled VWs. These weren't accidentally placed here. I tell him that they are not for sale. Shocked he asks, "non of them?" I tell him, "No. I'm a collector also." He asks me in what I perceived as a pretentious tone "What are you going to do with them?" And I told him I drive them. I thanked him and excused myself and he went and got back in his car and as he was leaving scoped out my driveway pretty hard which I didn't really care for.

I'm not saying I have never approached a house where a car that I wanted is in the driveway or the backyard/field but I have 5 air cooled VWs in my driveway right now. Its not like a random sighting in a neighborhood of one VW that the current owners dead uncle left them and they have no intention of ever doing anything with. Also, this wasn't like getting approached in a parking lot while you are driving you vehicle and an admire, not knowing how into your ride you are, asks if it is for sale.

I don't know if this person is a member on here or not and no offense to them in the retelling of this story if they are. My question for those of you with a stack of VWs in your driveway is this, does this happen to you?
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pandanom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Rolling Eyes
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Precisely why I keep all of my ACVWs out of sight from the street.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
codeMechanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep a for sale sign on mine with a price tag of $20,000 it keeps all the potential flippers off my lawn. Cool
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

///Mink wrote:
Precisely why I keep all of my ACVWs out of sight from the street.

yeah, I live in an older part of town with single car driveways and garages. I can get one car in when I dont have something else torn down in there.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grumpyveedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

watch your shit, he might come back and buy them with for no money in the middle of the night. What was the guy driving?
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, yes...I once had a guy knock on my door to ask if I'd sell my old bus. (I think the smoke billowing out of the front door when I opened it kinda freaked him out - this was a long time ago.)

I also had a guy stop by to offer to buy my house once... Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grumpyveedub wrote:
watch your shit, he might come back and buy them with for no money in the middle of the night. What was the guy driving?

Looked like a little ford escape or something like that, dark colored. I have my neighbors on alert, they always are.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had that happen a few times... not quite as bold, usually when I'm working in the yard or garage. People out for a walk will ask if any are for sale.

Air Riders, VW Club
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Bubblehead
El Chupa Nibre

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live on a busy street, and I get a lot of folks stopping by inquiring if I have parts for sale or can do service work on their vehicles. I've actually made friends with several real cool people that way.
Samba Member #4862
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Bubblehead wrote:
I live on a busy street, and I get a lot of folks stopping by inquiring if I have parts for sale or can do service work on their vehicles. I've actually made friends with several real cool people that way.

I'm with you, I've met good people that way too. Its just the presumptuous attitude. Every time I approach someone about a car I do so with respect. Simple really, you have what I want. I also go in practicing what I preach, not everything is for sale despite popular belief.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
2true
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you live? I need some parts!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mikee
Samba A.D.D. Boy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sister sold her oval window bug like that, Some guys drove from LA to san diego to get a bus in OB. Well I guess the dude already sold the bus, they drove around and saw her bug in front of the apartment building. They walk up and ask who own the bug, she replied she did. They asked if it was for sale, she gave them some hight price, they paid cash and drove off.

bugnut68 wrote:
I would have kicked the guy right in the dick, balls, ass and face and destroyed his weed. Hippies suck.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have had a similar situation happen to me when someone drove down my dead end road and inquired about my vw's. he was actually a nice guy and was looking for some parts for his bay westy. still made me a bit paranoid since you don't know what people are thinking or if they are trustworthy. there is no excuse for that guy having an attitude after you told him your vw's were not for sale. i bet he thinks his shit don't stink either. being polite and having mutual respect will get you much further.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
420GOAT
Samba Member

Location: Wilmington, CA on a nice quiet street but still in the 'hood

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one time i had this gangster fool ask me too trade him my 67 ssrs camaro for his 74 k5 blazer, of course i said no im not into 4x4s. he said ok , well i went to the mall and when i came out my ignition was broken. they tried to steal it as if the ignition was on the column like a k5 or later chevy by using a dent puller, well my shit is mounted on the dash and the steel is very thick so they broke their tools and left.......fuck that guy till this day i still know who he is, but i never see him, he's probably locked up or on the run. watch your shit!!!
BryanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, on occasion every one has been real nice about it. I keep all my crap in the back yard that is fenced in, on side with a privacy fence and the other sides visually closed off by neighbors buildings. You only get a glimpse of them as you drive by so it doesn't happen often.

The shop is a different story, people come by all the time, but that is what we want, unfortunately the awful happens too, just look in my sig line.

If the guy gave you an ill feeling then watch your stuff, cant hurt to be too cautious.

Motorwagen LLC
Concord NC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know the guy seemed on the up and up. He appeared to be an honest fellow and I think his old lady was in his car with him. I just really didn't like the way he checked my driveway up and down when he was pulling away. Being cautious is the answer I think.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
orangeeyesore
Samba Bammer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was out walking my dogs one night and saw ( what turned out to be ) a 56 og paint fire panel and a 57 og paint panel in a driveway. im not really the door knocking kind so i went home, got in my bus and drove back down there. i sat in front of the house for about two minutes when a guy comes out holding 2 bottles of beer. he walked straight toward me, i cut the ignition, got out and we spent a couple hours talking busses. i figured that since there were 2 in the driveway, not just one, that they belonged to another enthusiest, but i still wanted to have a look.

As it says, who have you got as a quote in your signature line and why?
zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he liked what he saw enough to knock on your door, he was probably just spending a few more minutes admiring the view before he left and didn't see another bus for the next year or so.

I've still only seen 3 on the road by chance over the past decade. It may be different where you are, but I still stop and take pics of bugs, buses, or whatever if I see them "in the wild".

Then again, he could be a thief that'll clean you tonight while you sleep. Wink
Nic B-C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the time, i personally would have been pretty stoked rather than annoyed. Really dont see the problem far better than a neighbour harrassing you to move your old junk out of sight!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: