Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Formula Vee
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Formula Vee Reply with quote

I remember as a kid seeing a few VW's around with the "Formula Vee" striping just above the running boards. I've been looking around for Formula Vee stuff for my '73 Super-managed to locate a shifter, shift knob, stripe kit, clock, and single speaker that mounts to the rear firewll.
Was the Formula Vee a package option? Or just a name VW came up with for its individual accessories? Anyone know where I can find a complete list of items that were available back then (I've already found the VW accessories brocure in the Archives).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen this?

http://www.sebeetles.com/f_vee.htm

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tuna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link Glenn. That site is a great resource for those special models. Smile

Tuna
EMPI Imp Homepage

1970 EMPI Imp
1969 Bug - 2056cc Type 4 powered Cal-Look'r
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link Glenn shows pretty much ties it up but don't forget the 'Thundertone' Taper Tip Tailpipes !
kristopher staller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a source for reproduction stripe sets:

http://www.actiongrafix.net/store.html
Hypnolobster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That hood scoop looks really cool.

Excessive, silly and not something I'd ever affix to my car, but still really cool.
discochris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we bought our 78 two years ago, my dad found his old walnut Formula Vee Wolfsburg logo shift knob from his last Super Beetle in the 70's. I cleaned it up and varnished it and put it in our car. I couldn't believe he still had it, or how cool it was that he gave it to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always laugh when I think about those special Formula Vee production VW's.

They were named after the race cars, but there wasn't a single piece of the production cars that was legal to run on the Formula Vee race cars.

The last Formula Vee race car parts were from the 1965 production. Nothing newer then 1200cc. Wide 5 lug wheels and King & link pin front end.
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been on the sebeetles website, but overlooked that somehow. It sounds like it was an actual option package at one time. It seems like Formula Vee products were still available in 73, when my car was made, but I couldn't find anything on it being a package at the time-more like a name for the individual accessories. The wheels look real similar to the Riviera wheels still available today.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wheels were for-runners of todays Rivearas but had smooth spokes. The "Formula Vee" was all dealer parts department stuff, not a factory option package. There was a "Formula Vee" kit starting in 1971 part number ZVW000FV1 or FV2 and my foggy memory says it consisted of Taper Tip Tailpipes, wood shift knob, "wood" dash appliques, bumper guards, FV side stripe, full wheel covers that looked like the "Formula Vee" mag wheels (ZVW616206 was the part number for the wheel covers), door window visors and a color coordinated hood scoop.
There were in reality over a hunderd accessories that VW offered under the "formula vee" packaging. Extractor exhausts, wheel trim rings, complete shifter, wheels in three styles, three or four different steering wheels, steering wheel covers, fog lights, fanfare horns, hood scoops in all colors, tachometer with mounting grill,
El Postino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to buy a 1971 Super Beetle - fed up with water-cooled! . Above the running boards I think it had "Super Vee" - it may have said "Formula Vee" - can't remember, only saw it once but it looked like the yellow one with the 'rack on the sebeetles site. Will the Vin number be more specific as to the model etc?. I don't have the vin at the moment but it's a sweet bug.
toyvergnugen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link to a 1973 Accessory catalog. The site also has several other years.
http://www.webwrench.com/airaccess/1973catalog.shtml
bug_freak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Formula Vee Reply with quote

thanks for the link Glenn. I have a formula vee and i want to restore it to its original condition; this site really helps.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
mezzorover
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm restoring my 1970 Formula Vee Beetle, but when I bought the vehicle, there was an additional diagonal stripe across the engine hood. I can't seem to find a rear shot of the Formula cars, but I wondered if the PO had added that diagonal stripe? Or is that part of the original stripe kit?

I kinda liked it. Maybe I will just have a new one made and say originality be damned! Twisted Evil

Cheers,
J.
coxy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friends Formula Vee replica in the UK

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Classifieds Feedback
oibovveroi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coxy,very nice vw you have.
coxy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not mine, it belongs to my friend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Classifieds Feedback
coxy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is mine - 1973 GT Beetle

fastmc25
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what they should of looked like.... Cool

This was mine......... it will be missed.... Crying or Very sad

Paul

1973 Type181 Kubelwagen (Thing 2 ) 2110cc
1971 Transporter (Pickle) 1914cc
1961 Deluxe Beetle (Christine) 1776cc
1973 Adventurewagen Baja Bus (Clyde) 3.4L
1970 Formula Vee Beetle 2276cc

I identify as: “A Pissed Old GI ”
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mezzorover"]I'm restoring my 1970 Formula Vee Beetle, but when I bought the vehicle, there was an additional diagonal stripe across the engine hood. I can't seem to find a rear shot of the Formula cars, but I wondered if the PO had added that diagonal stripe? Or is that part of the original stripe kit?

I kinda liked it. Maybe I will just have a new one made and say originality be damned! Twisted Evil

Cheers,
hi i worked at two vw dealers in the 1960s and 1970s ...we made a lot of formula vee bugs ...the formula vee bugs started in 1966 there was just a stripe kit in 1966-to 1967 that had the letters F V in the kit... there were numbers that made 1300 or 1500 it looked like this F V 1300 ...we allways put the stripe across the rear engine hood ...in 1968 the strip kit was changed to say formula vee.. they came in white black or red .. some times we just put the stripe kit on nothing else on the bugs ... most of the time we put the wood streering wheel on... wood dash kit with formula vee tack wood knobs ..formula vee shifter there were 4 differnt shifters offerd over the years.. hood scoop frount ...there was a rear hood scoop offerd in 1968 it was made out of steel like the frount scoop ..we allso instald fan fair horns ..bumper guards and stone guards all around formula vee mag wheels .and then in 1970 a formula vee emblem that went on the rear engine lid ...i had a 1970 formula vee bug that cost me $2,500.00 the bank had to come to the dealer ship to see it.. because the most a 1970 bug cost was $1,900.00 my payments were $75.00.. i had a 1968 formula vee bug ...then a glitter bug in 1971 that was wild lol hope this helps you out spencerfvee PS i am allso building a formula vee bug a 1970
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: