Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Single or two barrel
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikes 71Bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 11:56 am    Post subject: Single or two barrel Reply with quote

Will it make much difference if I switch to a two barrel carb on a stock 1600 dp for a 71 bus? Or should I build it up to a 1835?
Or just keep the hole thing stock??

One last question- is the new tin out on the market as good as the orginal?
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 12:02 pm    Post subject: Single or two barrel Reply with quote

Two barrel with a good header will give you more power.Just make sure it's jetted correctly,if too rich you will ruin the cylinders and evertually the bearings from contaminated oil. I run a header and 34pict with a 009.While it's no hotrod it will do 75 on the freeway and it's reliable. The next motor going in it is a type 4, 2 liter that I intend to convert to upright. One word best describes new tin "SHIT" . I prefer scrounging for original tin and repainting it.The german stuff fits!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 12:40 pm    Post subject: Single or two barrel Reply with quote

Stick with 1776, 1835 cylinder walls (92's) are to thin and will overheat and warp, especially in a bus. 2 barrel weber progressive is a decent set up as Tim says if jetted properly....I have good luck tuning them...
Aftermarket tin should come with a warning label, or at least a first aid kit/coupon for free trip to Emergency room.... not only does it not fit, it's sharper than a GINSU OJ Sipmson model...
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 12:58 pm    Post subject: Single or two barrel Reply with quote

Forget two barrels, and go with a set of dual kads- cheaper, better performance, better gas mileage. kadrons will really wake up your stock engine without costing much cash.
static
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 4:26 pm    Post subject: Single or two barrel Reply with quote

I use a stock carb on my '71 bus.
In my opinion, that is the way to go.
Go stock. Save your money for fun things, not engine rebuilds and speeding tickets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tyler 5447
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 7:11 am    Post subject: Single or two barrel Reply with quote

I would stay stock. I loved my 71 panel with its stock engine, It would cruise at 70 in good conditions. The progressive seems to be a decent carb though. I just installed one on my 74 westy, I just got it dialed in the other day. My only gripe is that the clip thing that holds the thing that holds the accel cable to the carb keeps flying of whil I'm driving, Probably something I did wrong. I will say that the progressive setup is much better than the dual kadron kit I took off of it.
Later,
Tyler
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: