Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Snow camping heat loss
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
targis58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: vent installation Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:

Real simple.
I installed a stainless Nicro Solar/ battery powered roof vent 8 years ago for interior ventilation.
can you sshow a picture of your set up?
motelvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Window insulation kits... Reply with quote

skicam wrote:
I tried Go Westy and Van Cafe but could not find any window insulation kits... any clues what site ? Also, what is the limbo site ? Sorrr, I'm a newbie...

Here they are at EuroCampers.

http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=4757891&showprevnext=1
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and here is the bus depot kit, for $85 less than eurocampers..

http://busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=J12747
Crughy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the transparent insulation film they sell at Home-Depot and such for home windows?
It's transparent, you apply it on the glass, it stays with static.

That would make only "thermo" windows, all the rest would remain the same.
It would be pretty safe to use on side windows in the back.

It's called Energy Film. Pretty expensive per sq f, but for us, not such a pb.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet...=100588592

Energy Film is a thin, transparent window film that provides immediate year-round energy savings by retaining interior heat in the winter and blocking solar heat in the summer. Energy film is an inexpensive and easy way to make the home or office more energy efficient while providing UV protection. It is easy to apply and uses no adhesives.

* Summer / Winter Insulating Film
* Saves up to 12-18% of Annual Energy Costs
* 99% UV Rejection, 85% Light Transmission, 65% Solar Heat Rejection
* Easy Application without Adhesives
* MFG Model # : 01-0119
* MFG Part # : 01-0119
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am working on doing some type of window insulation for a trip this winter. Any reports about this Energy Film stuff helping to keep the heat in?

Steve
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a complete set of window insulators with the silver plastic bubble wrap stuff from Home Desperate. About $40 worth of bubble stuff. I use a suction cup on each corner to hold them to the windows. I keep the top down at night but I've also insulated my entire van with the silver plastic bubble stuff and it helps a lot. I don't usually camp in much below 30 F so I just usually heat the van up with the stove and an upside-down clay flower pot to radiate the heat and then get into a 15 F sleeping bag. I'd like to find a small Plat Cat heater to help heat the van instead of the stove. Plat Cats are vented catalytic heaters so they don't produce as much moisture and CO2. Insulating the van, I think, is the biggest bang for the buck.

Jeff / San Anselmo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wildenbeast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone thought about using this?

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_category.php?id=329

It looks similar to the cell-style energy efficient blinds / window coverings for your house. I have the double-cell blinds / window coverings in my house and they make a difference there but has anyone installed these in their van and then noticed a difference camping in the winter?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I am going to scratch the window film from my list because during the day when I want heat coming in through the windows it will block it.

Seems like the foil/bubble wrap is the most popular solution.

The GoWesty shades look interesting however they look like they don't fit very tight against the windows. Seems like lots of cold air would get around them.

Steve
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a set of JustKampers window insulation. I will sell it for $99

used once when it was 6F outside

they work well for keeping heat in, but you have to generate the heat somehow. I used a propex heater, got the van to 50F inside, top down.

I did a test, turned off the heater, in 2 hours I lost 20degrees, that tells me that in 4 hours, the inside of the van will be the same temp as the outside

moral of the story, insulation will slow down the heat loss in your van, but what you need when sleeping is a nice fat down comforter
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if I posted this in the past, but years ago when I still had the old Propex 1600 compact (5000 +/- btu) heater in my Syncro, I camped outside SLC one night at 10 below. I had made panels of 1/4" foil/bubble insulation for all of the windows before I left on the trip. Also had a single piece covering the entire inside of the ceiling of the poptop and one across the windshield. Hanging behind the front seats was a fleece blanket. Under the carpet in the camping area was 1/2" carpet foam with two layers of rugs. Oh, and a layer of this over the engine. The results: I stayed toasty all night with 65 degrees inside, heater cycling on/off about half the time on. No windows were opened, skylight closed.

So...it IS possible to stay warm in the extreme cold, but like any 'house' it needs to be insulated. You'd be amazed how much cold radiates from metal.

If I were to want to camp top-up, I would get one of Fancher's pop-top insulation kits: http://fanchers.com/232/Pop%20Top%20Insulation.htm

Karl
westyventures.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> heater cycling on/off about half the time on

heater on half the time got you to maintain 65 inside

in my case heater on constantly to maintain 55 inside

the main differences are (I had all the windows including windshield insulated)

> Also had a single piece covering the entire inside of the ceiling of the poptop

this is probably the single fastest way to lose heat, thru the pop top, especially the sides of the poptop, with poptop down Im talking here.. all windows and vents closed

> Hanging behind the front seats was a fleece blanket.

this is the single best way to increase propex efficiency, reduce the size of the heated area to the sleeping area.. the front cab is a source of cold leaks around the dash

> Under the carpet in the camping area was 1/2" carpet foam with two layers of rugs. Oh, and a layer of this over the engine.

great details thanks!
Boegrrl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just insulated all the windows with foil bubble wrap cut to fit and using small industrial strength velco strips from Lowes. Bubble insulation cost 29$ + 15' Velcro 25$.

A very nice store employee and clever Canadian named Dave was positively misty eyed as I described the pop-top. He owned a Westy and drove thousands of miles to and fro the US years ago. I estimate that a Canadian and Vanagon owner knows about cold.

He took a look and suggested along with the bubble wrap below, I should take Movers Blankets cut to fit the inside of the raised canvas Top and also held in place with industrial velcro. The 3 big blankets 3/8" thick made of recycled denim were 7.95$@= 24$.
Oh Yes, a Mr Buddy, just in case it is that cold tomorrow night!
tikibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winter Camping at every level means survival.
Drive a 15 foot metal box into the woods in 5 F temps an expect a comfortable sleep is to the Donner Party lamb chops served with mint sauce.

Basic rules apply. If ya never been tent camping in snow, then I suggest you try.

Park Van ass end towards wind. Find anything that gets you away from the wind. Very Limited open/close of the Sliding door. Gotta piss Males? Go thru the passenger side door. Females, I wish I could be nice, but it is getting out there and squatting. If your close to the person(s) then do what you have to do right inside the van, toss the giggler out in a snow bank. shouldn't be there in the first place.

It is all about heat loss. On a good run the Slider door is open 5 sec. More? heat gone. Just gotta live with it.
Founding member of the Empire State VW Camping Club.
http://www.empirevwcamping.org/
1984 Westy - Tiki
1997 Honda Civic -The Green Hornet
1971 Volvo P-1800E- needs TLC
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: