Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bay window middle seat in my 67 deluxe
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
deluxekombi67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Bay window middle seat in my 67 deluxe Reply with quote

can anyone tell me the real difference in lets say a 68 or 69 middle seat out of a bay window compared to a 67 middle seat...can it be made to look right when I redo it to match the rest of my interior? I cant afford the $$ a original will cost but really need a middle seat (and mine is a walk trough also to make it worse) and the bay seats are $50 in my local you pull it yard when they come in...any pictures would be of great help. thanks!

Hell yea i LOVE the Mullholland look and im from Florida so what? Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fabric is different and the grab bars are on the back of the seat as opposed to the top like a 67. I'm not sure, but I believe the arm rest is different too.
'65 Honda Dream
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the '68 seat is nearly the same as a '67 seat. it is relatively easy to make a '67 seat out of a '68 seat.

the main difference is that the '68 seat has a piece of folded sheet metal on the top of the backrest, whereas the '67 seat has tubing all the way up and across the top. welding the tubing on should be pretty easy. finding the grab bars will be rather difficult. the pad on the armrest is different also.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just roll the bay middle seat until you get the correct one.
I'm rockin a black bay middle in my 67. It doesn't match the rest of my interior but people can sit on it and it was only $12.00

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bill-E-BoB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Adam. You could reupholster it to match your interior...and save up for a correct seat. In the meantime, the only people who would know the difference would be those of us in the know about busses. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sort of going off of what OG Velvet was saying. I thought the bay window seats all have the arm rest coming from the front of the seat, and the '67 had the arm rest coming from the seat back area.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

opensunroof wrote:
I'm sort of going off of what OG Velvet was saying. I thought the bay window seats all have the arm rest coming from the front of the seat, and the '67 had the arm rest coming from the seat back area.

the first year or so of 2/3 bay seats had the arm rest that comes from the back and dead ends.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
deluxekombi67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so does anyone have a picture of a real 67 3/4 middle seat. Id love to see what the difference is. Id Also love to see a picture of the bay window seat in your 67 VWADAM so i could get a look at how it looks.

Hell yea i LOVE the Mullholland look and im from Florida so what? Smile
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The picture below shows why a '67 and later (including bay window) short (3/4 length) middle seat legs will not line up properly in a '66 and earlier bus.

This is the same middle seat shown above in Lind's post mounted in my '65 DD Panel. The seat leg near the driver's side cargo door is lined up and mounted properly. The middle leg, as you can see, is off by one floor rib (about 1-2 inches). This is also why I no longer own this seat.

Just another one of those '67-only things that will drive you nuts. However, in the case of this particular thread, it should mean that a '68 and later short middle seat should bolt right into a '67-only bus if it has the correct short middle seat mounting plates. In the picture below the mounting plate is not present for the middle leg (panel buses don't have middle seat mounting plates).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a bay window short seat on eBay right now
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34206&item=4530120607&rd=1
Probably not worth the cost of shipping it to the west coast though...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I've combed the threads about this, and I'm still a bit confused.

I have a 1966 bus. Right now it has a full middle back seat that is a 1967 seat with the cross support bar on the legs.

I want to put a 2/3 middle seat in it instead of the full middle seat. I know that the shorter seat was for walk-through models and mine is coded to have a full seat.

At any point. I am looking at buying a 1968 short bay middle seat to convert and make more period correct. I just can't afford the real 2/3 split middle seat now and I don't think I can ever justify paying over 2k for a real one.

If I snapped some pictures of my cargo floor with a tape measure, would you be able to tell me if the 1968 2/3 seat would work. I need to do some work to my cargo rocker and floor. So, if need be, I can replace the whole half of the floor instead of just a small section if it would allow me to be able to mount up the 1968 bay seat easily.

Thanks for the help.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the information in this thread above, I think all you would have to do is have the center mounting points on the cargo floor in the correct place for the seat. The mounting points in the middle of the floor, toward the cargo doors.

The outer mounting point, near the driver's side, should already work.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so here are some pictures of the middle seat mounting area on my bus. The guy that I am trying to buy the seat from has told me that the distance between the middle leg and the two side legs is "18 inches, minus 1/8 inch on each outside leg."

My seat is buried in storage right now, so I can't pull it out. Does the rail actually sit on the plate area or does the leg sit in one of the grooves in the floor? I am such a newbie. I am looking through Bentley next to check that out.

In the meantime, here are some shots with a tape measure.....Do you think the 1968 Bay 2/3 would work with the current set up? Or would I have to weld plates in another location?

Thanks!

Here is an overall shot with a tape.

Here is a shot of the far left driver's side plate and then the next one over to the right towards the cargo door.

Here is a shot of of the second and third plate from the driver's side moving towards the cargo doors.

Here is a shot of the third and fourth plate from the driver's side moving toward the cargo doors.
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have pictures of what a Bay short seat looks like mounted to the cargo floor? I would be curious to see a few pictures.
mintonman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 68 2/3 middle seat in my trailer. I can get you the measurements and any pix you may need tomorrow if you'd like, just let me know. From what I know, they mounts are the same.
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mintonman wrote:
I have a 68 2/3 middle seat in my trailer. I can get you the measurements and any pix you may need tomorrow if you'd like, just let me know. From what I know, they mounts are the same.

That would be great! I will send you a pm now.
mintonman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry they are a little hard to see and I put the tape measure in the middle of the first leg because I believe the legs sit in the middle of the plates welded on the floor.

They read 0, 18&5/8, 37&1/4

Last edited by mintonman on Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Spitty1974
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mintonman wrote:
Sorry they are a little hard to see and I put the tape measure in the middle of the first leg since the legs sit on the plates welded on the floor.

They read 0, 18&5/8, 37&1/4

Thank you for taking the time to take the measurements for me and posting them on this thread. I am going to go check the measurements against my floor.
Spitty
mintonman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a pic I took of it today spitty

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: