Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rebuild syncro driveshaft for $45
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balancing is included at this shop. And he built a jig years ago for MellowCat, who has had several Syncro shafts through his shop. You can of course drive your Syncro through here on a summer trip and drop it off and keep going with rear wheel drive. Then pick it up on the way back through.

Whatever you do, best of luck and all that.

Cheers
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Artvonne
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no magic to drive shafts and u-joint replacement, but there are a few details that can help make it a greater success.

The yokes, the parts on the ends that attach to the gearbox and front diff, and the shaft, should be marked so you can put the shaft back together in the same orientation as removed. If you spin either of yoke you will lose the original balance.

The bump marks you see on old u joints is called brinneling. Its generally from a lack of grease.

The post earlier that spoke about CV joint wear should be noted, as well as tire size and wear. The object is to have both axles rolling smoothly at exactly the same speeds so there is no binding. You might also consider clocking the cv joints, especially if you've added any lift.

I would lose the do-nut. In a perfect world its okay, but its truly not necessary. No 4x4 can ever be completely vibration free, your going to feel something with all that machinery in motion and tied together. As long as everything is tight and retains its original balance, your not going to have trouble. The donut was put there so the soccer moms wouldn't feel "anything". But really its just something else to go wrong. Keep it simple.

Be careful "beating" them out. You do not want to damage the tube, its really not that thick. A dent can not only throw off balance, but can weaken the shaft. Use a leather mallet and strike the shaft on the weld area at the yoke. Several small blows with a decent mallet are gentler than one big one with a BFH. Same goes for tapping the end yokes over a socket, several light blows are better. It is possible to bend the ears and throw the yoke bores out of alignment, leading to both vibration as well as rapid u joint wear.

Last is the slip yoke. If you can keep it greased it should last a long time. Once it gets dry it can wear very rapidly. Once it starts to have perceptible wear, youll begin having balance issues.
westfaliarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: U joint part numbers Reply with quote

Hi! I am gonna try the cheap route and see what happens! Does anyone have current parts numbers or where I can find ujoints for my stock driveline?! Thanks David
whip618
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are a fair replacement for the stock u-joints and be sure to check the internal bushings for wear.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Phil

Samba Member No. 3307
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westfaliarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much!

Are the grease zerks going to work or will I need to modifly or change them?
whip618
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I opted to modify mine in order for it to rotate freely

Phil

Samba Member No. 3307
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jalan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuild syncro driveshaft for $45 Reply with quote

I just called NAPA and found that the u-joints are still available. Precision and SKF are now one company and they use the Precision part number UJ813.

Have two on order so will be rebuilding my shaft this week.

Current price is $30 each
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuild syncro driveshaft for $45 Reply with quote

Good to know, thanks.

My driveshaft is smooth and quiet and I have NEVER done any maintenance. 177,000miles. Is there anything I should be doing NOW, to increase its longevity? I can renew the U-joints of course, but is there a trick to sneak some grease into the needles I have?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
jalan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuild syncro driveshaft for $45 Reply with quote

What wears out on the stock shafts are the bushings behind the guibo. That is the rubber shock/vibration absorbing donut. It would be worth your time to pull the shaft apart, replace the o-ring and grease the joint. Make sure you mark everything so it goes back together the same way or you will be looking for somebody to rebalance the shaft.

Some years ago I had an old Mercedes I was restoring that didn't have zerks. Before I put in the new joint I removed a cap and drilled and tapped a hole for a zerk in the center of one end cap. You have to use the small zerks here.

I don't think I would do this on the car as you would take a chance of getting metal particles in the needle bearings.

You can buy a needle mounted to a zerk from the auto parts store but it would be difficult getting grease where you need it without ruining the seals on the u-joint. The needles are designed for adding grease to ball joints or tie rod ends that don't have fittings.

If they are tight leave them be but check them frequently.

The u-joints are not that difficult to replace especially if you have a press or a large vise and a good selection of sockets to press with.

PS The driveshaft I just rebuilt works great, no vibrations. I plugged the zerk holes as I couldn't find a small 90 degree fitting like the one WHIP618 used
jalan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuild syncro driveshaft for $45 Reply with quote

Correction, I misspelled the "rubber donut" name. Is is a giubo joint although you will find them listed on-line as guibo. The same giubo is used in BMWs and Mercedes. Also known as a flex disc. On the older Mercedes, where they use a two piece driveshaft, the giubo actually replaces the u-joint on the end of the tranny output shaft. No u-joint is necessary as the shaft and tranny are in alignment.
cris torlasco Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuild syncro driveshaft for $45 Reply with quote

Just in. Hope they are the correct ones!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuild syncro driveshaft for $45 Reply with quote

I replaced mine with a telescoping shaft and still have the 37mph vib, I removed it last week and notice that the flange on the front diff would wobble even though the nut was torqued, that didn't seem correct, I left the shaft out and will drive it like that till the Front Diff gets rebuilt over the winter. That vibration starts slowly at 33 and maxes out a 37 than goes away until around 75-77 than it starts again, it's very slight , most wouldn't notice it.
handjammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild syncro driveshaft for $45 Reply with quote

I'm finishing a driveshaft rebuild. For future readers using this thread for help, you don't need to build anything custom or drill the yoke to make the zerk fitting sit freely.
Instead, order an M8x1 flush-style fitting from McMaster. Works perfectly with no rubbing.

The new joints feels a little bit stiff. Anyone know if that's normal? I may back them out and re-grease them to be safe.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild syncro driveshaft for $45 Reply with quote

that friggin RULES!

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild syncro driveshaft for $45 Reply with quote

I've been running a driveshaft with regular u joint like this since 2004. Had it in and out, transaxle out, engine out, front dif out, all separate events with separate realignment of parts. Never had a vibration. Lucky I guess Smile It works.

I do have the ting ting clank from the inner bushings in the driveshaft being loose if I lug the engine.
mbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuild syncro driveshaft for $45 Reply with quote

Has anyone used the Syncro driveshaft from Wholesale Import Parts and had any long term luck with it? Just wanting a update on this thread.

http://www.wholesaleimportparts.com/VW_Vanagon_Syncro_Driveshaft_1991.php

Thanks
Bob
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuild syncro driveshaft for $45 Reply with quote

mbob wrote:
Has anyone used the Syncro driveshaft from Wholesale Import Parts and had any long term luck with it? Just wanting a update on this thread.

http://www.wholesaleimportparts.com/VW_Vanagon_Syncro_Driveshaft_1991.php

Thanks
Bob

tencentlife wrote:
But my machinist knows about a Chevy driveshaft that is a direct fit for the Syncro shaft, brand new at only $450, vs. $700 for rebuilts and $1100 for new VW shafts. The Chevy shaft doesn't have a Guibo disc, just a splined sliding joint in the middle.

Seems like it may be the Chevy shaft eluded to on page 1 post 11, as quoted above.

More than one way to skin these cats!

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuild syncro driveshaft for $45 Reply with quote

That was an awful long time ago!

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuild syncro driveshaft for $45 Reply with quote

Time is an allusion

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuild syncro driveshaft for $45 Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
That was an awful long time ago!

That's the point.....

The substitute has long been known, if you were to read.

But the poster wanted to know specific, long term, experience with the referenced shaft.

Maybe some one else has a "Chevy" shaft installed who can tell.

Having a Syncro Westy awaiting a turn for restoration, for about as long now, it kind of interests me too. But so does a full Subaru drive train too....

I can feel the money pressing to escape from my wallet!!! Smile

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: