Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro w/1992 SVX to 1996/97 SVX - Will it work?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thomast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Syncro w/1992 SVX to 1996/97 SVX - Will it work? Reply with quote

I currently have a 1992 SVX motor (OBD1) in my Syncro. I also have a backup 92 SVX motor (plus spare parts) and I'm very happy currently with this setup, but would like to have the OBD2 of the 96/97 motor at some point.

I'm wondering if I were to swap in a 1996 or 1997 (OBD2) SVX motor, aside from the wiring harness and the OBD2 setup, would my current adapter / engine mounts, exhaust, etc. work? Are they basically the same motor or were there significante changes between those years?

I did not do the conversion on my current van, but I would plan on doing the swap if I was able to find the right 96 or 97 SVX motor.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

1992 SVX -
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro w/1992 SVX to 1996/97 SVX - Will it work? Reply with quote

same motor. everything will fit, adapter plate, exhaust, motor mounts. I feel so dumb, had no idea OBDII was in late SVX. I've installed 1996 in place of 1992 but was unaware of OBD update.
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thomast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro w/1992 SVX to 1996/97 SVX - Will it work? Reply with quote

Thanks! That's good info. Not a lot of the later models out there (or any for that matter). The hunt begins...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: