Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

oil leak!
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 11:25 am    Post subject: oil leak! Reply with quote

i had a pretty bad oil leak in my 1800cc so i thought i had traced it to the oil cooler so i pull the front fan housing and put a new one on changed all the rubbers and stuff so when i started my bus to check for leaks oil was pouring from the oil filter
i used the oil cooler off of my old 1800cc
did i not get the rubbers on right?
did i tighten it to much?

any suggestion will help
thnax Nick
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 6:52 am    Post subject: oil leak! Reply with quote

Any suggestion? Ok, if you used your old cooler then you diddn't "put a new one on"
So it may have a leak??? or you could have used the wrong seals? which ones the real flat redish or orange, there are several differnt sizes and it can be hard for novices to tell from the old ones as they are squished so much... What did you put on them? I don't use sealant just wheel bearing grease, never have leaks... silcone stuff will cause more trouble than you think. Did you have to pull the mount for the oil filter off the case to facilitate the cooler swap? did you get all the old gasket off the surfaces there and use a new gasket and not some sillycone? The cooler beint aluminum and all you should not have had to tighten it up to tight, you could have smashed the seals or the cooler if you "cranked on it" Lastly the gasket on the oil filter or the filter itself, damaged? defective, more than one gasket?

well, I know you know what to do! pull it all apart again! Vw's are so much fun eh??
Good luck Nick, I hope it's just the seals or something easy!!!
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 11:58 am    Post subject: oil leak! Reply with quote

keifernet
i used the redish orange seal the smaller of the two that i have
the oil filter did not have to be removed for the swap
when i redo it i will try some bearing grease
the cooler i put one was new when i bought the bus and only had about 500 miles on it that is why i said a new one and there were no leaks from it while that engine was in my bus
thanks for the suggestion i will let you know how it gos
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: