Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tire/Wheel Query
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LISAO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Tire/Wheel Query Reply with quote

I just got 15 x 8" Centerlines for my Thing. IT has a cut and turned front end/ gas shocks all around and stock fenders. These wheels look way too wide... Just wondering if they are going to work or if I have to go back two spaces now and restart the process. If they will fit without rubbing under the stock fenders, then what size tire can I get away with?

Tanks.. Thanks... a lot...

Lisa
alg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really sure about the specific wheels you mention.
14's and 15's are ok on Things as far as the fenders go. If the 15's hit a fender then the front end is not right or the Thing was lowered.
But 14's and 15's tend to have different widths, and this can cause problems with the wheels hitting parts of the front end.

I installed 15-inch chrome wheels from the Thing Shop which were specifically for a Thing. (as opposed to a beetle or ghia) These 15's are also slightly wider than the 14's (as your rims likely are).
The place you connect the bolts to the wheel on the 15s is set-in at a different distance than a set of stock 14's. From the bolt holes to the inside of the rim is about the same on the 14's and 15's, but the distance from the bolt holes to the outside of the rim (the side the hubcap would be on) is not the same. The 15s stick out a little more.
This tells me that the 15's require some slightly different placement to fit right on the Thing.

Now, remember that the Thing has a IRS rear. It may be that the difference in my rims relates to the clearances required for the rear end.

If it would help, I can measure up my rims and give you the exact sizes of everything.

alg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
LISAO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

thanks for that reply.. it is sort of helpful... I had a stock THing before and put on 15" VW rims with a Light Truck offroad tire and had no troubles... Those wheels were narrower tho.. maybe 5 or 6" wide...
The wheels that I now have (15x8")have a negative offset...(I read up on this on one of the tire forums)... meaning that there is a lot of rim on the outside of the wheel/ but the inside of the wheel, near the drum, is narrower... This makes me think they will be sticking out past the fenders like a low rider... When I get it back from the mechanic, will jack it up and take off a wheel to have a look.. I just think buying the tires right now with possible wrong wheels could be one mistake on top of another...
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, um, 8" fronts with negative offset will not fit.
Try this...
-wheel off,
-jack stand or jack under the ball joint at the desired ride height,
-use cardboard to make a "Cross section" (looking down on the wheel) of your desired wheel with a notch in the center so the profile will sit against the drum at you desired offset.
-Move the profile and the drum to lots of positions to check for rubbing.
-Does that make sense?

[__=__]

Your profile might look like the above!?

- - I forgot to add.. with the wheel off you can also hold a length string with a weight on the end at the inner fender lip and measure from the string to the drum face to get an idea of how much offset you can run.
--- The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
'71 Single cab (White too)
'70 Weekender (White three)
'05 Evolution VIII (White also!!!)
'68 F-250 (White over black)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
csmith181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen a set of Centerline 15x8 on the front of any VW without a huge spacer being used. The common set-up is 15x8 (or wider) in the rear and 15x5 or 15x4 in the front.

I have a set of 15x5 American Eagle rims (Empi look-a-likes) on mine with no problems.
LISAO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: MORE CLEAR NOW>>> Reply with quote

I just got clarity from the guy who sold me them. He said the measurement where tire goes just inside the metal is the actual measurement ...hence they are actually 15" x 7".... I thought that was the max to go... WIll post more when I get the Thing jacked up and monkey'd with.

THanks for the input on what to do when that tire is off... That is helpful...

Best.
Lisa
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: