Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Putting out an engine fire
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
donnieb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had 2 vanagons and 3 transporters and have never personally had an engine fire. A friend asked me to do some work on his tired, old wasserboxer in his '85 westy. I immediately saw that his fuel lines were beyond messed up. Just like everything else. Anyway, I tightened a couple of hose clamps and started the engine. Then, all of the sudden one of the lines blew and FOOM! up in flames. my buddy who owns the van grabs his liitle fire extinguisher and attempted to put the fire out only to find that the thing was not working. I ran next door to the pizza shop and grabbed their fire extinguisher off of the wall and was able to put the fire out in time. The moral of this story is, If you have a vw and you want to keep it un-crispy, replace all of your fuel lines. You should also make sure that the plastic lines are still in good shape as well. I'm going to replace the plastic lines with metal ones just to be sure. the newer vanagons have issues with the compensator tube and tank gaskets as well. If your van leaks when you fill up, this is why. Also, buy a good fire extinguisher!
Good luck!
akyrie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So nobody here wants to admit a fire? well here is what happened to ME with my 86 'gon not gone for good.

I had an electrical short/spark from my alternator that burned through my fuel line. ...And we had a fire. I only had the small extinguisher but was able to get it under control. I no longer carry the small extinguisher but the big household sized ones. the fire raging out the back, I ran back and used the extinguisher from the bottom. I think that the licence plate will be to hot to hold or keep open in this panicky time frame. Go from below until no fire is evident. Get some help.

This is where I made a mistake that almost cost me my van. I opened the hatch. I couldn't see any flames, and thought I would get some good action from the top side, but it was all action I didn't want. Big ball of flame, shot up past the top of the rear hatch that was open. I ducked and only received a fine de-hairment on my arms. lucky again. With the little dribble of extinguisher left i was able to put it out.

Do not open the hatch, get all your extinguishing needs out from below! changing your fuel lines doesn't always prevent fire!

82 AHU DK, 1950's Puch-black
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waldemar Sikorski wrote:
Why not come up with a custom design?
One extinguisher stationary, feeding two nozzles in the bay, remotely operated from the cabin area with a mechanical backup. Second one as originally intended.

I have installed many nozzle and plumbing based systems.. you can go to pretty much any place and get nozzles, order them online.. and then build in a system.. Stainless steel tubing and associated fittings shouldn't be so difficult.. Hmm.. new priority for me.. damn. Smile
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting out an engine fire Reply with quote

I took out to the house some newer certified fire extinguishers this weekend.

Coming home I had the older ones in the back, if ever I was ready for a fire...... today is THE day!!!!!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting out an engine fire Reply with quote

I’m becoming paranoid about flying debris in an emergency stop...mostly when I see unsecured stuff in other people’s vans. I need to apply the same paranoia to my van.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting out an engine fire Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
I’m becoming paranoid about flying debris in an emergency stop...mostly when I see unsecured stuff in other people’s vans. I need to apply the same paranoia to my van.

Good point! One of those 10lb'ers on the back of the head...... youre GONE!!!
Didn't think of that! Embarassed

Made it home without incident though.......

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RainierSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting out an engine fire Reply with quote

One could install a Bazecut to the engine lid. It will give you a warning when it goes off and will knock the fire out or at least give you some extra time to put it out yourself.
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting out an engine fire Reply with quote

https://elementfire.com/pages/comparison

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Putting out an engine fire Reply with quote

Counterpoint for thought.

Why does every car on the road today use high pressure fuel injection, and are, on average, 11 years old, And don’t catch fire , and don’t have Blazecuts?

Why don’t people stop fires by maintain their cars instead of trying to put them out afterwards?
mtnride1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Putting out an engine fire Reply with quote

I have a blazecut in my van and a clean agent back-up extinguisher in cabinet behind drivers seat. I also check all my fuel lines regularly. Should I ever have a fire I think the blazecut will hold it down if not knock it out, I can then use my clean agent through the license plate hole if needed and leave the engine cover in place. Then disconnect all the batteries.
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Putting out an engine fire Reply with quote

An ABC Halotron I extinguisher is perhaps the most effective, as it will knock out most fires, and doesn't have the same toxic and corrosive agents as other types.

If you use your Vanagon for camping, you have a few additional fire threats with cooking, portable heaters, etc.. So, we carry a couple of compact ACK Potassium Lactate & Nitrogen Aerosol extinguishers, too. This is the only type specifically rated for cooking oil & grease fires.

More info on choosing and using fire extinguishers in your Westy here:
https://campwestfalia.com/fire-extinguishers-camper-van/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Putting out an engine fire Reply with quote

I have this for a kitchen fire (in addition to my big a$$ extinguisher for an engine fire.)

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: