Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

25 hp engine case coating
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: 25 hp engine case coating Reply with quote

Here pics of my 25 hp case (April 1951) after chromate coating in Finland. Cases were originally coated like this by casting shop. This coating is made only for magnesium treatment.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric Outland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Eric (VMR) Reply with quote

Vertanen=I like it! I like it AlOT! I am currently restoring a 1951 25hp Longblock for sale when finished and will intail the exact same Die Chromate Process as you have pictured. Like it or not It came from the Factory that Way "Originally!!!" And all future (VMR) Restoration will have the Die Chromate Protective Magnesium Coating as supplied by the Factory back in the day. Eric (VMR) Nice Pic's Cool
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like to get this coating, at the first is good to remove all steel parts and also aluminum oil channel plugs. Removing steel parts because they corrode in strong acids and oil plugs because to get oil channels clean.

Stud screws are easy to remove without damages using 2-nut-system and local heating by torch. Then is left positioning pins, oil dipstick tube and oil pump suction pipe. They can remove without damage also by local heating and suitable tools.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
52HoffmanSplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 25 hp engine case coating Reply with quote

virtanen wrote:
Here pics of my 25 hp case (April 1951) after chromate coating in Finland. Cases were originally coated like this by casting shop. This coating is made only for magnesium treatment.

Question... how come the process did not give complete coverage to the case? (for example Joe Ruiz's cases which are uniformly covered)

Although I like the very inconsistent "used" vintage look it has.

9/1950 Hoffman Standard
11/1966 Porsche 912
10/1966 Porsche 912
7/1968 Type 265 Double Cab
10/1958 Type 117
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: 25 hp engine case coating Reply with quote

52HoffmanSplit wrote:
virtanen wrote:

Question... how come the process did not give complete coverage to the case? (for example Joe Ruiz's cases which are uniformly covered)

Yes, the coating covers whole the case. Those areas which are originally machined or ground looks different than cast surface. And the tone is also different on different watching angles.

This is only for serious restorers who like to have fresh factory look and good treatment on mag case.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 25 hp engine case coating Reply with quote

52HoffmanSplit wrote:
virtanen wrote:

I believe Ruiz uses the Dow treatment. If the motor never reaches operating temperature, then it is worth it.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is called Dow 1 (or try Dow 20 if you want better than period correct.) It is SIMPLE to do. It is a wash. It is supposed to look kinda wavy with different tones or hues. You spray it on, let it sit some 10 - 15 seconds and wash with warm water. Done. It is really called a conversion coating.

Nothing special. No magic. Move along now....

Yes, kiddies, you too can do this at home.

Trick is to keep it on and I ain't telling!
52HoffmanSplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
It is called Dow 1 (or try Dow 20 if you want better than period correct.) It is SIMPLE to do. It is a wash. It is supposed to look kinda wavy with different tones or hues. You spray it on, let it sit some 10 - 15 seconds and wash with warm water. Done. It is really called a conversion coating.

This board is all about sharing your tricks.... don't hold out..... !! Let's have the data.. need the info. Smile Unless your thinking about cornering the engine coating market. Good Luck with that! Smile

9/1950 Hoffman Standard
11/1966 Porsche 912
10/1966 Porsche 912
10/1958 Type 117
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My coating is made in factory who makes military and aviation components. It is made by strong acids and in hot temperature.
HeSa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:

Very entertaining! What sources are your weird ideas based on? I´ve got the Dow manual on magnesium coating where these processes are described in detail. None of them is a back yard 15 sec spray on job. All involve toxic chemicals and are high temperature baths. Besides the one used by VW was DOW-7.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the text book way is to submerge in bath at such a temperature for so long etc, etc. Then rinse with the water at such another temperature with ph of whatever. And so on. Ya, ya, I know all that too.

But, the manual further goes on and states you can touch up finished assemblies via local spray or brush application. Using that as an introduction one can apply by spray or use any local application scheme. Sure it is not as controlled as a bath. Sure it does not create such a thick uniform and controlled conversion. Yes, yes, yes, yes, it is not as perfect as following the strict manual application dictated procedures. But, we are not building space craft, either. In this case (pun intended) we get something that is close enough.

I go to the local chemical supply and simply buy the chemicals. I never stated that is was safe. For small jobs like one or two case halves doing yourself is very much something we can diy.

All I am stating is that if you want to do it yourself, you can. No magic involved.
52HoffmanSplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
Yes, the text book way is to submerge in bath at such a temperature for so long etc, etc. Then rinse with the water at such another temperature with ph of whatever. And so on. Ya, ya, I know all that too.

But, the manual further goes on and states you can touch up finished assemblies via local spray or brush application. Using that as an introduction one can apply by spray or use any local application scheme. Sure it is not as controlled as a bath. Sure it does not create such a thick uniform and controlled conversion. Yes, yes, yes, yes, it is not as perfect as following the strict manual application dictated procedures. But, we are not building space craft, either. In this case (pun intended) we get something that is close enough.

I go to the local chemical supply and simply buy the chemicals. I never stated that is was safe. For small jobs like one or two case halves doing yourself is very much something we can diy.

All I am stating is that if you want to do it yourself, you can. No magic involved.

I buy it.... I always thought you could do it at home.. and no magic involved..... so.... come clean... give us the details.. and how to keep it on. Smile

9/1950 Hoffman Standard
11/1966 Porsche 912
10/1966 Porsche 912
10/1958 Type 117
ericktheelectrician
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he could tell us but then he'll probably want to kill us
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric Outland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Eric (VMR) Reply with quote

The gold Hue that is used ( and this has been discussed somewhere else on the samba assuridly) Is a Die Penetrant die chromate Process--- It had taken me the better part of 5 years thru trial and error, and DESTROYED old used cases to get it spot on. with out divulging ANY processies, I contacted Joe Ruiz=Mr. Okrasa, and he concured that i was Spot on and that it would be best if Trade secrets be Kept at that TRADE SECRETS!!as selfish as this may seem with research, a few trips to the library, and understanding just the basics of Die Chromate penetrant Pocessies yes you too can figure it out!!!, But I wouldn't give up 5 years of diligent work , trial and error, and wasted Cases just to hand over the specific proces of the correct factory gold hue color because someone asked for it!!. Some things are best kept to your selfs. Eric (VMR) Cool
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for sharing... Rolling Eyes

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
ZwitterND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will share my trade secret: Shake can, push button. Spent 15 minutes of my life searching. And those that don't like it can pick a cheek. Laughing
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the SEARCH Luke:

Dow 20 (Modified Chrome Pickle) was developed to provide a more uniform colored coating than Dow 1. Treatment 20 may be used on all magnesium alloys but is particularly adapted for magnesium DIE castings. Sodium Acid Fluoride 2 oz/gal, Sodium Dichromate 24 oz/gal, Aluminum Sulfate 1 1/3 oz/gal, Nitric ACid (70% Nitric) 1 pint per gallons..5 seconds to 2 minutes.

http://omnimetal.thomasnet.com/product/all-categories/magnesium-dichromate-treatment-processing-dow

http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?IA=US2005041588&DISPLAY=DESC

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22DOW+7%22+process&btnG=Search

Etcetera...
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There goes 5 years................ Laughing

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZwitterND
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:
There goes 5 years................ Laughing

Now that there's funny... Laughing Laughing Laughing
Eric Outland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:33 am    Post subject: Eric (VMR) Reply with quote

r39o, ZwitterND, splitdog! Ahh if it where that easy to point click order and use, Go ahead order what r39o listed above, it's missing two very vital chemicals that completes the CORRECT chemical etching process to adhere and bring upon magnesium gold adhesion. Yep Been there done that, with alot of frustration when those so called point click and order kits didn't do squat for me or Make the correct goldish color on the case. No it took a chemical engineer + a metalergist to give me the heads up on two VITAL missing parts of the equation. Close!! But no CiiiiiiiiiiiiiGAR! Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: