Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Park brake cables for Lowered BD
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Concept1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Park brake cables for Lowered BD Reply with quote

I've searched on this, but with no concrete answer.

Anyone know which park brake cables to use on a BD (54') running a type 1 straight axle?

I'm using 356 brakes, but the cable works the same on a bug, so the end after the sheath (going into the drum) should be fine.

Any thoughts on using 55-59' type 2 calbes? My thought is that the park brake handle is in roughly the same spot on Barndoor and Wolfsburg bus.

It looks like the original cable part # is 211 609 275 A (3205mm long)

The 55'-59' is Part #211 609 701 B and (3168mm ling)

Thanks in advance,

Ken
BeaterBarndoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its been 8 or 9 years but im pretty sure that when i put my 53 together,i just used what was in place which I believe to be the original cables. Im pretty sure that i am running the whole stock BD set up even the cable end housings(look like beetle) right into the backing plates,no adaptors .

Whaaaaat?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I used og cables on my 52 with straight axle and type 3 brakes. The only thing I had to do was elongate the slot in the bar that goes between the brake shoes, to allow the arm to move forward a little

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the original cables on my '55, '70 T1 rear backing plates, no problems, even added 36hp carb. return springs to the cables inside the backing plate to help with release.

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Concept1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. My original cables were totally wasted, but I'll see what I can come up with.
Kais Collection Premium Member
vintage treasures

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concept1 wrote:
Thanks guys. My original cables were totally wasted, but I'll see what I can come up with.

Is this what you need?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have some laying around, NOS.
but I thought they were part# 211 609 271A?

Kai's Collection - vintage treasures
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a split bug I had trouble to fit later rear and cables to the front parking brake lever. What I did is fabricate some adapter cables ( basically eytensions). You can get any dimension at the sailing surplus, I cut the cables fitting length, then had female/ male M6 connectors rolled-pressed on the ends. make sure to get the correct total length and tighten the junction with loctite. quite cheap, about € 50/ pair incl rolling.

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 356 A brakes and as far as i can remember I just used the stock BD cables Very Happy
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terry Gaudet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Park brake cables for Lowered BD Reply with quote

I am looking for original barndoor brake cables. I don't see any listed in my usual suppliers. Anyone have suggestions?

1950 Beetle Standard
1955 Canadian Custom
1956 Kombi w/SO23 kit
1965 Kombi walkthrough
1965 Double Cab
Terry Gaudet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Park brake cables for Lowered BD Reply with quote

Well I just found some at WW. They list up to 53 - 211 609 721 as well as 53-55 - 211 609 721 A. My bus has a straight axle mod using T-1 swingaxle trans. Does anyone know the best ones to get?

1950 Beetle Standard
1955 Canadian Custom
1956 Kombi w/SO23 kit
1965 Kombi walkthrough
1965 Double Cab
@Buswerx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Park brake cables for Lowered BD Reply with quote

I just finished adding a swing axle to a clients 54 BD. We used 64 bug drum brakes along with the original BD parking brake cable. No issues. The length was fine and the parking brake now works as designed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: