Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ahhh.. about that door thing....
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 4:48 pm    Post subject: Ahhh.. about that door thing.... Reply with quote

where can I find more info on how to adjust my sliding door. Part of the latch is not working; it will shut if I slam it but I hate to keep slaming it thats really going to f-it up. The chilton and Haynes manuals are just not cutting it. the door assembly that they describe and have in the pictures are totaly different than what is on my bus so... I am feeling sorta up shits creek; if not really annoyed.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 5:34 pm    Post subject: Ahhh.. about that door thing.... Reply with quote

The Factory Manual I have is Bently I beleive... thoght it was Haynes but now I recall Bentley did the 'Official' factory manuals... The cover on mine left many years ago and I put a makeshift one on it...
Should be able to get one at the better bookstores....
Things to check are the nylon guide block on the rear mechanism and the roller wheel right there also (rear most of door, outside runs on the track)... Pulling the door panel you will see the cables and such (more complex than imagined) which are greatly in need of lubrication and being worked...
Surprisingly the door is supposed to be 'shut' not slamed and by lifting the handle up (if it's working properly) the mechanism pulls the door the rest of the way shut (the rear) automatically....
An original owners manual has some good info on how to properly work the door and it's features.... may be a copy on line somewhere... type2.com????? good luck
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 7:50 pm    Post subject: Ahhh.. about that door thing.... Reply with quote

CIP1.com (California Import Parts Ltd.)is the place to source your sliding door parts. I bought the plastic slider and other parts from them last year. They tend to have a fair bit of late-bus inventory. I also have used the Bentley shop manual, as it is the authorized VW manual and is fairly detailed. I sold my bus earlier this year, so I don't have the manuals anymore. Neil.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 10:06 pm    Post subject: Ahhh.. about that door thing.... Reply with quote

Since my wife started this, some more info:
The rear center support and main handle assy for the sliding door(among other things- (EFI quiries, fuel system, sloppy linkage)):
This sliding door(79 Transporter) seems as though parts are missing, and while it does work- slamming it although I know I shouldnt- when I pull up from the outside on the handle, it will not close the rest of the way. With the door panneling off the inside, I can see a little curved tongue of metal on the handle assy that moves in and out- with the outside handle but not with the inside one. It rubs along-side and buts up against the bracket piece attached to the cable. It seems as though this metal piece should be attached to something- perhaps shoving that cable in the other direction to then turn the little cam closing the door??...
Also, in the rear center support assy, what are those three little swinging arms and cam under the nut on the swinging arm? The one the furthest forward I assume is spring loaded to keep the door open when it is all the way open. There is no spring and the stay-open mechanism is not working either.

There are little parts like this on this bus that seem like some idiot has screwed with it- like the fuel pump runs as soon as the key is in the on position- shouldnt that wire come from the starter?

Rob in Bend, OR
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 7:49 am    Post subject: Ahhh.. about that door thing.... Reply with quote

Save all the problems for me and I will come to Bend to go ski Bachelor for 2 weeks and fix them for you! LOL! (I wish...)
Trying to talk you through the door thing on the net is next to impossible...
The working of the sliding door while not Rocket science is complex enough it is hard to do by verbal descriptions alone.
Best bet is to get the Bentley book and if you get a chance to take look at someone elses Bus then you can do some hands on compairison. Also as I mentioned there is at least some info and pics on www.type2.com on the left under "tech Library" thenm go to 'doors' section...
On the fuel thing sounds like someone hot wired the pump past the "double relay"
again the Bentley and the type2 site are full of good FI troubleshooting and theory... Good luck! Hope to see you when I come to Oregon later this year....
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 10:29 am    Post subject: Ahhh.. about that door thing.... Reply with quote

Funny, there must be someone in Bend who really thinks that the fuel pump should be wired that way. I got a bus there last year that did the same thing. I thought it was odd that it did that. Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 10:39 am    Post subject: Ahhh.. about that door thing.... Reply with quote

Jeremy, question is did you figure out where they wired it hot at? and did you (or some one else.... bud, other mechanic.... put it back the way it is supposed to be???
If so what did it take to do so????
It is dangerous to have it wired that way in my opinion...
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 10:10 pm    Post subject: Ahhh.. about that door thing.... Reply with quote

Dangerous how? Fuel circuit pressurized too soon? I assume I would not leave the key on and listen to the radio(if it worked). But how is it dangerous, and is it dangerous like fix it now- do not drive until... or dangerous like fix it soon. I do not smell anything fuely, yet.
Will the Bentley walk me through it wire by wire- the EFI/fuel system?
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 1:27 am    Post subject: Ahhh.. about that door thing.... Reply with quote

It didn't matter for me. That bus had hit a deer and rolled, twisting and tilting the whole body a bit. I bought it for the freshly rebuilt engine, two sets of new tires (all-seasons and studs and whatever else I could salvage. It turned out great for me, as I used the engine in another bus (the beautiful orange bus in the gallery) as well as many other parts, and my dad had a good time stripping everything off of it (I worked at his house because he has a nice heated garage and lots of tools that I don't have), and gave away the hulk to his neighbour to use as an overflow septic tank (really wish I had a picture of it in the hole!) I don't remember seeing how it was wired, I didn't need to use that fuel pump, so my Dad would have been the one to remove it. He probably didn't really take a good look either. Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 6:51 am    Post subject: Ahhh.. about that door thing.... Reply with quote

Not trying to scare you, just my opinion... you can just fix it as soon as you can... the double relay is there for a reason... it the pump is wired "hot" and not being fed by the relay the wiring could overheat.
Also the pump is supposed to shut down if the engine dies... suppose you did have the misfortune of being in an accident or running off the side of the road ect. and the fuel line was comprimised.... fuel would keep spewing and bad things could happen.... More modern cars have an "inertia safety switch" to kill the FI pump in the event of such calamities....
I would be more comfortable MYSELF getting it back the way it should be... you can do as you please... the Bentley has all the diagrams in color and all the FI info.
it takes several "read throughs" to make sense of alot of it and to familiarize yourself wth the theory and operation of the system... good luck!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: