Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headliner help
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zander68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 3:57 pm    Post subject: Headliner help Reply with quote

I purchased a new headliner from TMI and have the following questions:
1. Where does the bottom edge of the liner attach to? (I have the bows and glue, but it seems tacky to glue it above the windows)
2. Should it fit in the upper channel of the window glass?
3. They sent an extra 3X3 piece, Is this to cut out pieces for the post? (If so wouldn't that leave an unsightly seam?)
ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 5:52 pm    Post subject: Headliner help Reply with quote

If you have these types of questions about headliner install take it to a pro 'cause you might make an expensive mistake.
breadloafdeluxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 9:02 pm    Post subject: Headliner help Reply with quote

I put a headliner in my 71 Deluxe.I have some experence w/ wallpaper that came in handy,let me tell you my headliner came out great,but it took me ALL of 2Days! The guys at the local resto shop said there guy would charge $250.oo. In hind site I might have let him do it. The way to do it right is remove all the glass first and that3x3 piece is JUST ENOUGH to do the 4 post and the rear panels TMI is kind of tight on the material so measure twice cut once!DavidK 71Deluxe 69S/Cab
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 10:24 pm    Post subject: Headliner help Reply with quote

Is TMI the best material and does anyone have any idea how much it would cost to have a new headliner installed professionally in a '77 Bus with sunroof, and does the sunroof itself have headliner material or is it just metal? Thanks, Justin
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 7:13 pm    Post subject: Headliner help Reply with quote

These cars came with such beautifully-fitted headliner, that I would not trust myself to do it right. The headliner has to be clamped correctly on the upper window channels where you have just removed all the rubber and the glass, heated and stretched to be properly taut around the radii of the window openings, and your adhesive has to be mighty fine stuff.
The windshield also needs to be removed. The vertical sections do go on later, the window sill pieces then go on after the verticals, and the edges have to be perfectly straight and perpendicular and stress-free and nicely glued. A whole lot of fun if you are a masochistic perfectionist. . .
Colin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: