Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

So much for restoration !
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard Roth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: So much for restoration ! Reply with quote

I can't believe this !
Rolling Eyes

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=236280

1966 Empi GTV MKIV
1954 Kabriolett Beetle
1953 Porsche 356 1500S
1957 Cable brake standard model
1962 cable brake standard model
1956 23 window Samba
1960 Austin Healey 3000
1961 Corvair Greenbrier
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ericktheelectrician
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what can't you believe ? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's it...........................I knew it............................All Zwitters are fake.
billmetric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its only a matter of time before someone repros 3 fold sunroof holes, then you can have a fake Zwitter sunroof !
There is an idea of a Billmetric; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there...
HeSa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about soldering one of these to an oval? Wouldn't that make it a genuine Brezel?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
54smurf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billmetric wrote:
its only a matter of time before someone repros 3 fold sunroof holes, then you can have a fake Zwitter sunroof !

Fast forward 10 years and this has come to pass, a 3 fold sunroof kit from Grumpys is available for $3,500.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: So much for restoration ! Reply with quote

Richard Roth wrote:
I can't believe this !
Rolling Eyes

... that's been out for a while and the price has come down a bit..., Man, I wanna thank Kafer Nostalgie for producing this piece... potentially, real nice.

I have thought 'bout getting it many times, but a real oval (to 3/55) with all the upgrades, is okay with me... Does give some enthusiasts a chance to own a split-looking car, minus the double clutching of a non syncro trans, wipers that don't park, tubes in the 16" tube type tires, dim bulb headlights, no wing vent window air circulation, expensive 383 dist caps, window winders that seem to turn and turn forever, in the opposite direction to get the windows up and down and troublesome window regulators.... how about a push button starter, no adjusting the hand brake inside the car, no seat back adjustment. one brake light... the real-split-feel will never be experienced... the graft will just bring a little happiness...

... not complaining, just saying it'll make someone feel good to experience a split-looker, minus all the primitive appointments... there are lot of amenities one gives up, when driving a real split, but also offers much happiness.

Also, with the cost of a real split, these days, it gives some a chance to kinda' get a little taste that this elite group of split owner's enjoy... kinda'
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: So much for restoration ! Reply with quote

I'd have to agree. Although I looked and longed for a Split for many years, the 1950 Standard I have with mechanical brakes, non-synchro trans, lever action rear shocks, short stroke front shocks, no accelerator pump in the carb and just about the most atrocious ride, handling and brakes of any Beetle I have ever driven, in addition to the other pleasantries mentioned by zenvwdriver, there is not much to be said in its favor, other than to brag that you have one. About the only improvement I can think of to solve its inherent shortcomings is to sacrilegiously put it on a post-1969 chassis, but the purist in me would condemn my soul ! Gene
Robert Chambers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: So much for restoration ! Reply with quote

I owned a 1952 Standard Split years ago. I am now restoring a 1952 Standard Zwitter for all the reasons stated by ZENVWDRIVER. I know many do not accept a Zwitter as a real split but, it did come from the factory with a Rear Split Window. Very Happy
'63 OG 117

Last edited by Robert Chambers on Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: So much for restoration ! Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
Richard Roth wrote:
I can't believe this !
Rolling Eyes

... that's been out for a while and the price has come down a bit..., Man, I wanna thank Kafer Nostalgie for producing this piece... potentially, real nice.

I have thought 'bout getting it many times, but a real oval (to 3/55) with all the upgrades, is okay with me... Does give some enthusiasts a chance to own a split-looking car, minus the double clutching of a non syncro trans, wipers that don't park, tubes in the 16" tube type tires, dim bulb headlights, no wing vent window air circulation, expensive 383 dist caps, window winders that seem to turn and turn forever, in the opposite direction to get the windows up and down and troublesome window regulators.... how about a push button starter, no adjusting the hand brake inside the car, no seat back adjustment. one brake light... the real-split-feel will never be experienced... the graft will just bring a little happiness...

... not complaining, just saying it'll make someone feel good to experience a split-looker, minus all the primitive appointments... there are lot of amenities one gives up, when driving a real split, but also offers much happiness.

Also, with the cost of a real split, these days, it gives some a chance to kinda' get a little taste that this elite group of split owner's enjoy... kinda'

Weld one in a Touareg then. Laughing

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: So much for restoration ! Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:
Weld one in a Touareg then. Laughing

Touché!

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: So much for restoration ! Reply with quote

That piece looks to me like an oval window with a split bar in it. The window openings don't look right at all.

Stuff like this just means if you are restoring a zwitter, you better take it down to bare metal and take lots of pictures that prove a piece like this is not installed.

Same deal with a sunroof or for the 21 and 23 window buses.

Last edited by nlorntson on Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: So much for restoration ! Reply with quote

I wouldn't say it looks like an oval with a bar added but it doesn't look exactly right either. Someone posted about that part here several years ago and when they started welding it the bondo on it started bubbling up.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: So much for restoration ! Reply with quote

Part of the " peculiar look " may be that the rubber seals are the simple straight extruded seals that are cut to length and the ends glued together, rather than the more expensive, correct " formed " seals as per the original. The corners never look right. I used the same type seals ( from WW ) in my '63 Kombi, and they all leaked. Gene
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: So much for restoration ! Reply with quote

geneL3c wrote:
I'd have to agree. Although I looked and longed for a Split for many years, the 1950 Standard I have with mechanical brakes, non-synchro trans, lever action rear shocks, short stroke front shocks, no accelerator pump in the carb and just about the most atrocious ride, handling and brakes of any Beetle I have ever driven, in addition to the other pleasantries mentioned by zenvwdriver, there is not much to be said in its favor, other than to brag that you have one. About the only improvement I can think of to solve its inherent shortcomings is to sacrilegiously put it on a post-1969 chassis, but the purist in me would condemn my soul ! Gene

... I'm definitely not a purest... just looking for a little happiness for everyone... bought this 1950 standard body in 1977, on a 1972 pan. What a delight it was.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
geneL3c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: So much for restoration ! Reply with quote

I have a '57 Sun Roof that I acquired too long ago to admit, when my bride showed interest because it looked so cute. I got a '74 chassis that needed new pans, which I replaced as well as replacing the front axle assembly with a Ghia front end with disc brakes and was well on my way to what I thought was a pretty good combination of period look with pretty good street manners when I made the mistake of taking said bride for a ride in my '50 Standard Beetle! She has since refused to ride in ANY VW, so the project was side tracked and has been in storage ever since. No good deed goes unpunished ! Gene
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: