Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Are all Ball Joints Created Equal?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
smeeegheeead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Are all Ball Joints Created Equal? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
i saw that.

i'm going to call NAPA and see what they can do for me. i have a new set in there now, but i don't have high hopes

I've just been waiting, for my current van project, for T3 to hopefully get some back in and order them with the suspension bushing stuff I need at the same time. May be wishful thinking. If you cant get em you cant get em.
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Are all Ball Joints Created Equal? Reply with quote

I did a total front end rebuild less than 5 years ago and (like everyone else) I'm finding many of the rubber parts already failing. The worst is the boot on the Febi upper ball joints. they look like this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

No doubt the boots gave up long before I noticed, but the mechanical joints are still solid. So, being the type that hates to throw away something that is still good, I measured the two diameters (20.3mm and 37.6mm) and started looking for a replacement boot. The closest thing I could find are these universal seals for a tie rod end. https://www.suspension.com/superpro/spf0333k.
When they showed up, I was a bit discouraged. They are very thick and not too flexible. Also, there was no ridge inside the large opening to fit the groove on the ball joint body. With some effort, they will fit very snugly on the joint. To get the smaller opening over the seat on the post, I used a piece of 3/4 PVC pipe and some muscle.

At this point it looked like a very clean fit, but when I worked the joint, the boot would pop-off. I tried a wire retainer, but it wanted to slip down off the seal. So my solution, that seems to be working, is a zip-tie pulled snug with pliers.

I'm not claiming victory. Some hard driving will tell if the boot stays in place. I do have every confidence that they won't split like the OG ones. If the nylon zip-tie gives up, I realize they make them in stainless steel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcdennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Are all Ball Joints Created Equal? Reply with quote

in the "why didn't I think of that sooner" category, a narrow worm drive clamp makes this replacement boot bomb-proof. If dirt from a broken boot is the main failure mode of these joints, then this one should last a long time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kdj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Are all Ball Joints Created Equal? Reply with quote

Any other leads on lemforder lower ball joints?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Are all Ball Joints Created Equal? Reply with quote

Just a heads up that this store I referenced earlier is not shipping out the MOOG Ball Joint they are showing in their ad. It's another aftermarket ball joint you receive.
As soon as they arrived I shipped them back before leaving the UPS Store.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ball-Joint-Front-Lower-fo...06f6440a2d

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Are all Ball Joints Created Equal? Reply with quote

Both Shockwarehouse.com and Summitracing.com show the Moogs in stock..
https://tinyurl.com/yj8msnnh
Both with shipping included, there is no FREE
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Are all Ball Joints Created Equal? Reply with quote

Unless you find old stock MOOG, you will be buying garbage.
Today's MOOG lower ball joints are the same crap as the others.
Lemforder is the only quality choice today.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Are all Ball Joints Created Equal? Reply with quote

Wellington wrote:

This is 100% true. I even cut one of the "new" Moog LBJs apart to see how it's constructed and it's total junk. And to make things worse, Lemforders are near impossible to find these days. Word has it that Lemforder may be dropping the LBJs altogether.

As a result of all of this, T3 Technique has taken on the HUGE (and expensive) challenge of having bespoke upper and lower ball joints made. The sample/prototypes of the new UBJs are excellent and are headed to production as we speak. The new lower ball joints needed a little refinement to get them up to my standards, but I think we are really close to pulling the trigger on those too. It will be a few months before we see tangible stock, but they are coming. Once I have some stock, I'd be happy to cut a sample apart to show you all the differences.

And, as some of you may have already read about, there will be a new tall version of the UBJs to help correct the geometry of a lifted van and help proved more UCA to spring clearance. In my lifted 2wd, these tall ball joints absolutely transformed the drivability, ride quality, stability, etc. It's like a completely different van. Below is a photo to show the difference between a stock length UBJ and the tall UBJ.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Mac_Daddy_Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Are all Ball Joints Created Equal? Reply with quote

Chris,

Amazing engineering and a game changer as well. I'll be your 1st batch of customers for the LBJ and UBJ, planning on lifting my 2WD auto trans Westy.

Question: as you mentioned UBJ for lifted vans, what is the "minimum" lift that would benefit from your extended UBJ?

if one is to just do a 1.5" lift, will there be a significant benefit in performance of the extended UBJ?

andre
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Are all Ball Joints Created Equal? Reply with quote

Christopher, I can't image undertaking such a project. Amazing.
When I saw lower Lemforders getting scarce, I purchased 4 for the future, they are sitting on the shelf. My daughter is convinced she wants my Westfalia, and I want to be sure she will be able to keep it for many years.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Are all Ball Joints Created Equal? Reply with quote

Good on You Christopher!

4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Are all Ball Joints Created Equal? Reply with quote

That is awesome! Since Syncros are lifted over the 2wd (but they have different arms) would you recommend the tall versions even on stock Syncros?
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Are all Ball Joints Created Equal? Reply with quote

I can see the new window sticker now...T3's got BALLS Laughing

Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Are all Ball Joints Created Equal? Reply with quote

Boxer Rebellion wrote:
Chris,

Amazing engineering and a game changer as well. I'll be your 1st batch of customers for the LBJ and UBJ, planning on lifting my 2WD auto trans Westy.

Question: as you mentioned UBJ for lifted vans, what is the "minimum" lift that would benefit from your extended UBJ?

if one is to just do a 1.5" lift, will there be a significant benefit in performance of the extended UBJ?

andre

I should have been a little more clear in my wording when I said the UBJs were going into production. What I should have said is that the order is placed in the queue for production. It will be late July to late August before the new joints arrive.

As of today, I'm going to say that any 2wd van that is lifted in the front to a height of 18" or above (center of hub to fender lip) will greatly benefit from the tall UBJs. In other words, it's the actual ride height that determines the need for the tall UBJs, not the amount of lift. The reason for this is because you could start out with van that has a 16" ride height, lift it 1.5", and end up with a 17.5" ride height.

I have not had the opportunity to test the tall UBJs with anything less than an18" ride height. The way the tall UBJs affect the geometry may cause camber alignment issues with vans that have ride heights lower than 18". I'm not 100% sure on that though. I'll have to test it when I get a chance.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Are all Ball Joints Created Equal? Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:
That is awesome! Since Syncros are lifted over the 2wd (but they have different arms) would you recommend the tall versions even on stock Syncros?

While the suspension design/geometry of the Syncro is very different compared to a 2wd, yes, the Syncro will definitely benefit from having the tall UBJs in place.

Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Are all Ball Joints Created Equal? Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
I can see the new window sticker now...T3's got BALLS Laughing

Ha! Well, I suppose that's better than a "T3's got joints". I'm afraid I would attract the wrong type of customer and they would be disappointed to find out I don't have the kind of joints they are looking for.

Kdj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Are all Ball Joints Created Equal? Reply with quote

Just had a bait and switch lemforder order show up from eEuroparts. They are headed back to where they came!
Let us know when your taking orders Chris.
whafalia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Are all Ball Joints Created Equal? Reply with quote

You had me at bespoke Cool
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Are all Ball Joints Created Equal? Reply with quote

whafalia wrote:
You had me at bespoke Cool
Likewise! Well done, Chris!!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Are all Ball Joints Created Equal? Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
Wellington wrote:

This is 100% true. I even cut one of the "new" Moog LBJs apart to see how it's constructed and it's total junk. And to make things worse, Lemforders are near impossible to find these days. Word has it that Lemforder may be dropping the LBJs altogether.

As a result of all of this, T3 Technique has taken on the HUGE (and expensive) challenge of having bespoke upper and lower ball joints made. The sample/prototypes of the new UBJs are excellent and are headed to production as we speak. The new lower ball joints needed a little refinement to get them up to my standards, but I think we are really close to pulling the trigger on those too. It will be a few months before we see tangible stock, but they are coming. Once I have some stock, I'd be happy to cut a sample apart to show you all the differences.

And, as some of you may have already read about, there will be a new tall version of the UBJs to help correct the geometry of a lifted van and help proved more UCA to spring clearance. In my lifted 2wd, these tall ball joints absolutely transformed the drivability, ride quality, stability, etc. It's like a completely different van. Below is a photo to show the difference between a stock length UBJ and the tall UBJ.

Damn Chris!

This is rad!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: