Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

E-brake issues and what else can I check when I'm in there?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dormungus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:07 pm    Post subject: E-brake issues and what else can I check when I'm in there? Reply with quote

Hi again,
When I started on my 85 GL, I found metal parts under seats and in the glove box. One Ive recently I identified is the parking brake equalizer which was in the glove box. For some reason the center ebrake cable is not there. Im going to replace all three cables. Im renewing the CV's, brakes, and wheel bearings at the same time.

Since I read that I probably need to drop the tank to work on the center ebrake cable, What else can I do up there? Check and reseal fuel tank? Maybe a new sending unit?

While I have the tank out, is there anything that would be nice to chevk/renew so that area can stay buttoned up for a few years?
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: E-brake issues and what else can I check when Im in there. Reply with quote

Quote:
Check and reseal fuel tank? Maybe a new sending unit?

Yes and yes. It's only money... Wink

Dave will tell you to freshen the fuel pump ground (hidden above the tank) and I agree with him, too.

Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: E-brake issues and what else can I check when Im in there. Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Quote:
Check and reseal fuel tank? Maybe a new sending unit?

Yes and yes. It's only money... Wink

Dave will tell you to freshen the fuel pump ground (hidden above the tank) and I agree with him, too.

Cool

- Dave

Did you mean the fuel sender ground? Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: E-brake issues and what else can I check when I'm in there? Reply with quote

Busted. Shoulda gone to bed early, instead of scooting the interwebs... Embarassed Laughing

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: E-brake issues and what else can I check when I'm in there? Reply with quote

think about replacing the shifter ball the shift rod rides thru. inspect your coolant lines and if the ones to the heater are puffy, replace them. now would also be a good time to consider a new battery cable. the ends get corroded and the copper strands break, reducing conductive surface area. not enough spare length to just tug and put new ends on. i believe the cable size was bumped up after 85 too. more diameter is always better.

be prepared for the deep dive on the rear brakes and my advice would be to have EVERYTHING on hand... spring kit, shoes, new cylinders with the spring in the middle, e brake cables, flex hoses but then the union at the steel line to flex hose will be all rusted so you'll have to cut back into fresh steel line, put a union in and bring new steel/NiCopp line up to the flex hose. it's all 40 year old stuff bathed in corrosives. if you can re-use your old drums after having the wear ridge turned down, they won't be warped like all the new Chinese ones will be.

it's all worth it... a working parking brake on these vans is a joy to behold but you'll have die in battle before you get to Valhalla.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: E-brake issues and what else can I check when I'm in there? Reply with quote

I will add this, reference the picture of the correctly assembled Rear Brakes here on Samba that our Mod Dave has posted from time to time. There are some TRICKY issues that happen if left is on the right, or one of the adjusting parts for the shoes is upside down, that sort of thing. Some of the differences are subtle, hard to spot if your brakes were assembled wrong to begin with and you're following the previous person's foot steps inside the drum.....
Maybe Dave can find and post that great picture.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: