Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1915 with A1 sidewinder 1 ½” or 1 5/8” ???? new pictures
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
YOGIVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:29 am    Post subject: 1915 with A1 sidewinder 1 ½” or 1 5/8” ???? new pictures Reply with quote

OK, I have a new 1915 engine with Stive Tim heads stage 2 ( 42x37 valves ), engel 110, dual webbers 44’. The question is: which A1 sidewinder works better on this set up? 1 ½” or 1 5/8”?

My car is ’79 super cabrio weekender.
I ordered from USA 1 5/8” but received 1 1/2” if the smaller one is fine I will stay with it if not I will need to buy bigger one which means for me on another side of the pond 9 -10 weeks waiting time. Sad
Westfalia James Cook 2.9TD

Last edited by YOGIVW on Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:03 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do the exhaust ports measure on your heads? If they're not bigger than 1.5", run what you got. It's only a 1915. Wink

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running a 2180 with Steve Tims Stage 2s and a 1-5/8" header.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Warner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like with those heads you'll probably want the 1 5/8" pipe. Those will definitely flow. Where do you want to make the bulk of your power? The bigger pipe might take a bit off of the low and mid-range, but will likely make a bit more power up top. Either one will work, but I'd probably opt for the 1 5/8". I have 44/37.5 valves on my 2276 and have a 1 3/4" header. I may suffer a BIT on the low and midrange, but it gave almost 10 more hp up top over the 1 5/8"

Warner
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1 1/2" header with a W110 cam.
Warner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

Good point...didn't notice the smaller cam.....

Warner
YOGIVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warner wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:

Good point...didn't notice the smaller cam.....

too small?
It is Serranos engine and tomorrow I will split the case to see what he put inside. I might have W125, is it better for my application? Now I have 1:1.1 rockers ( piad for 1.1:25 Evil or Very Mad ) but if neede may upgrade to 1:1.25. I want as much power as possible
Thanks for your help
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would buy the 1 5/8" since you will probably end up dropping a stroker crank in there in a year or so and then you won't have to buy a new header. If not then the 1 1/2" is perfect for your 1914 application.
YOGIVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
I would buy the 1 5/8" since you will probably end up dropping a stroker crank in there in a year or so and then you won't have to buy a new header. If not then the 1 1/2" is perfect for your 1914 application.

Today I would say NO, 1915 is more than enough but from what I see/read you are absolutly right.
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would wait to see what you find inside that engine, I have heard of a guy here in the uk that got a 1776 from him and when taken a part it was a pretty stock 1600. Confused
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
YOGIVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krusher wrote:
I would wait to see what you find inside that engine, I have heard of a guy here in the uk that got a 1776 from him and when taken a part it was a pretty stock 1600. Confused

with my longblock is not so bad. I call it LLE ( Last Limited Ldition ) I got it one week before Steve "retired". I pull the head and it is 1915 for sure.
DRD RACING HEADS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1915 with A1 sidewinder 1 ½” or 1 5/8” ???? Reply with quote

If your going to change the cam, put a engle 120 in it, and run a 1.25 rocker.
Pump the compression to around 9.0, and run a 1 5/8 sidewinder, it will ring out a 130hp easy.

We sell What Works!
HTTP://WWW.DRDRACINGHEADS.COM
Email [email protected]
Phone-714-545-4100
DRD Online Store
HTTP://WWW.DRDRACINGHEADS.COM/Xcart/
YOGIVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1915 with A1 sidewinder 1 ½” or 1 5/8” ???? Reply with quote

Darren Gurrola wrote:
Pump the compression to around 9.0, and run a 1 5/8 sidewinder, it will ring out a 130hp easy.

thank you Darren. I said w125 because I have it already, engel 120 will need to buy but it is not a problem. My compresion is 8,5 and I do not want to change it .
Going back to A1, I was told by the vendor that headers are measured on the outside of the tubing and if so my is 1 5/8", I thought whole my life that the dimension is messured inside.
krusher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1915 with A1 sidewinder 1 ½” or 1 5/8” ???? Reply with quote

YOGIVW wrote:
Darren Gurrola wrote:

thank you Darren. I said w125 because I have it already, engel 120 will need to buy but it is not a problem. My compresion is 8,5 and I do not want to change it .
Going back to A1, I was told by the vendor that headers are measured on the outside of the tubing and if so my is 1 5/8", I thought whole my life that the dimension is messured inside.

It makes sence to measure the inside as that gives you the actual size air can flow through, if you measure the inside then you have to take into account wall thickness etc, just extra hassle.

Sounds like you were lucky wioth your engine, but i would personally strip it and inspet everything.

Serrano's retired, Shocked I dont think most peoples see retirement as running away with your customers money.

Anyway hope the engine turns out great Very Happy
(06:31:07) RoachGhia: "i drink dick way too fast"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
YOGIVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spitted the case and it look like the crank was balanced. See pictures. In the reds circles are mars, it looks like it was grinded and drilled. If the crank was balanced it was balanced without the pressure plate and pulley. Should I balance it again or it is fine? It is not going be race engine, mostly weekender with occasionally “green light” action.
Generally the interior looks good, well assembled. But I paid for CB lifters got something else. Can you guys recognize it? What is the other lifter? Paid for SCAT I beam rods and I have EMPI H rods.
Now I going to replace a cam as Darren suggested for W120.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: