Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front door adjustment
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterT3syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:18 am    Post subject: Front door adjustment Reply with quote

Hi all
Does anyone have some tips on setting the door front doors correctly?
I removed mine as part of the full respray.
And fitted new door rubbers.
The left door (our passenger door) was always dropped slightly when open.
On both sides the top half of each door is out at the top by some 5mm (approx)
I see very little adjustment apart from the hinge fastening bolts which fit into slots.
Any ideas please
thanks
Peter

Type 3 Syncro Kombi, EJ22 Subaru
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: Front door adjustment Reply with quote

He Peter, I also have had my door off, and adjusting it is simple. There is enough adjustment in the hinge to push the top in, or you can do a combination of pulling the bottom out, and pushing the top in, or pushing both the top and bottom in. Its really pretty simple, and like you said, there aren't a lot of options. So look at the gaps (in and out against the rain gutter , and lower rocker area) on the other side to get a idea of where it should sit. I did mine because the wind was whistling in and i could slide paper between the weatherstrip and the body. Simply pushing the top in eliminated it. Good luck!
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Front door adjustment Reply with quote

As said, adjusting the door in/out is easy. Then set the height of the front of the door where you need it and use a door adjuster to raise/lower the rear to match.

https://www.toolsource.com/door-mirror-tools-c-34_...adEALw_wcB

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
peterT3syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Front door adjustment Reply with quote

Interesting Tool Chris - I wonder if such a thing is here in Oz?
Thanks for the replies to date
I still find it difficult to get the door to align using the above points.
Shame VW didn't put some type of cam on the door hinge bolts ?
Peter

View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Front door adjustment Reply with quote

I hesitated to mention this for fear of ridicule, but you can always stick a floor jack under the door to "tweak" it somewhat. I have, and have no regrets!
peterT3syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Front door adjustment Reply with quote

calo1956 wrote:
I hesitated to mention this for fear of ridicule, but you can always stick a floor jack under the door to "tweak" it somewhat. I have, and have no regrets!

Yeah interesting - today I physically grabbed the end corner of the open door - both arms around the corner and using my legs I lifted the edge of the door up.
I didn't feel any real movement but when I tried to close it - it closed better ?
Peter

pf4d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Front door adjustment Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
As said, adjusting the door in/out is easy. Then set the height of the front of the door where you need it and use a door adjuster to raise/lower the rear to match.

https://www.toolsource.com/door-mirror-tools-c-34_...adEALw_wcB

The front corner of my passenger side door (right above the wing window) needs to be lifted up about 8mm. I'm a little nervous about loosening those hinge bolts as I am currently on the road. Do you know approximately how much height adjustment there is? And while I:m here, do you know how much in/out adjustment there is too? A pic of what the detached hinge looks like would help. I imagine there are larger holes to accommodate all the travel? Thanks for helping!

Evan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: