Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 66, 67, 68  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Guy, this is the Gear Lube topic, if you want to argue 5W40 vs 40wt, use this topic:
The importance of choosing the correct oil weight.

Thank You.

Nice scream, people don't realize that a 75w90 oil has about the same viscosity as a typical 10w40 motor oil, they think of gear oils as being much thicker. FYI a 40wt or or maybe even 5w40 oil will pass specs for a GL-4 oil anyway. I certainly would not hesitate to run 5w40 nor even thinner oil in a gear box in arctic conditions. 40 years ago it was common for people to run ATF in a high offset hypoid box when the temps were apt to drop well below 0°F.

Last edited by Wildthings on Mon May 08, 2017 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
I'd like to stay away from synthetics with old seals.
I've been running Redline MTL in a 40 horse box in my fiberglass buggy for 17 years. The only seals I've replaced have been the axle boots. I even skipped out of changing the axle seals and O rings when I did the rear brakes.
evillrdnikon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

This might be a little dated but a great read with HARD DATA.

http://www.lastgreatroadtrip.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/gear-oil-comparison.pdf

there are 14 different gear lubricants that are tested. What are your thoughts?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

evillrdnikon wrote:
This might be a little dated but a great read with HARD DATA.

http://www.lastgreatroadtrip.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/gear-oil-comparison.pdf

there are 14 different gear lubricants that are tested. What are your thoughts?

Are you surprised that they found Amsoil ranked best? After all it was funded by...... AMSOIL.

They tested for differential, VWs have a transaxle that includes the gearbox.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

I wouldn't put much faith in anything written by Amsoil. Things have changed a lot in 10 years since that was written so a lot of it doesn't really matter much today. A lot of the info will help people understand what they need to look for in a gear oil today, so the article is not a total waste of time.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
I wouldn't put much faith in anything written by Amsoil. Things have changed a lot in 10 years since that was written so a lot of it doesn't really matter much today. A lot of the info will help people understand what they need to look for in a gear oil today, so the article is not a total waste of time.

Just wondering why you have such a negative attitude towards Amsoil? If you have proof please share it.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

I took it to mean that anything informative written by a company that makes the product in question can be suspect. Not necessarily bad or negative, just suspect.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Actually he's been posting these little digs for years, it's time to put up or?
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

It doesn't take a genius to see which companies have "gamed" the internet.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Comparative analysis or bullshit ask your doctor if it's right for you. Very Happy
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

gears wrote:
It doesn't take a genius to see which companies have "gamed" the internet.

RUSSIA?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Glen is that available at walmart?
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:

Just wondering why you have such a negative attitude towards Amsoil? If you have proof please share it.

I generally DO NOT support any companies that only sell thru distributorships or multi layer pyramid systems. The end result is the consumer gets scammed. Why can't you get it at any public Walmart, Autozone, NAPA, etc.?
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Ok that's not the answer I am looking for. Here's an example to think about concerning mass marketing. I buy auto detail products direct from a company that makes them. I buy in concentrated form in gallon or five gallon quantities. I skip the distributor and retail level which adds cost. I get to custom mix the product depending on need. Unit cost per car is about 5 dollars, I use five dollars of product each car and charge you between 2 to 3 hundred for a bumper to bumper top to bottom detail. Should I be buying my products at retail?
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

The local buggy shop started selling Lucas gear oil, has anyone actually used this stuff before? Kind of surprised to see it as I haven't seen those oil gear oil gear spinning things in years.
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Gowesty has switched from recommending GL-4 to GL-5 now...

http://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=87
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:

I generally DO NOT support any companies that only sell thru distributorships or multi layer pyramid systems. The end result is the consumer gets scammed. Why can't you get it at any public Walmart, Autozone, NAPA, etc.?

I used Amsoil for a little bit, it's not bottom of the barrel stuff and certainly not top shelf either. Actually a local garage sold it cheaper than I could get Syn at Walmart for a bit, but then he figured out he sold it at cost and I switched oils for the daily driver as Walmart oil became a lot cheaper again.

It is nuts how good they show their oil against everyone else, I don;t believe any of their test reports or info. I'm really surprised that Amsoil doesn't show their oil winning a taste competition against light beers by a large margin and then also showing it has less calories as well.
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Casting Timmy wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:
Zundfolge1432 wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:

I used Amsoil for a little bit, it's not bottom of the barrel stuff and certainly not top shelf either. Actually a local garage sold it cheaper than I could get Syn at Walmart for a bit, but then he figured out he sold it at cost and I switched oils for the daily driver as Walmart oil became a lot cheaper again.

It is nuts how good they show their oil against everyone else, I don;t believe any of their test reports or info. I'm really surprised that Amsoil doesn't show their oil winning a taste competition against light beers by a large margin and then also showing it has less calories as well.

All the others are guilty of the same thing. Bottom-line Amsoil is still miles ahead of any conventional gear oil used.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

I like the amsoil tests.
They tend to have an aroma of true science, far as the results usually are not what was expected and raise more questions than they answer and so forth.

However, if they won't sell to my distributors then I not going to buy any either.
I'm not going to buy oil from the back alley of some guys house. They should get a clue.
77charger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Have used swepco and Lat in my my buggy just had trans gone thru after 6 seasons of sand dune use some abuse and ring and pinion was perfect as were the gears.

Lat has been used the past 2 changes and gonna stay with it.
Auto linea alm case,82 dpr crank wedgemated by DK machine
cb 5.4 h beams,12 pound DPR f/w,Slr xv294cam,cb straight cuts,hpmx 44s,40x35 heads ported by brothers machine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 56, 57, 58 ... 66, 67, 68  Next
Jump to:
Page 57 of 68

Jump to: