Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 66, 67, 68  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
65 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Joe Gibbs Racing now has “Driven” gear oil that is GL-4.

http://www.drivenracingoil.com/dro/gl-4-gear-oil-80w-90html/
dlearl476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

A little FHE:

I have a Beck Spyder and with the cable shifter, shifting can be interesting. When I finally got it roadworthy last year I swapped the gear lube out to Valvoline GL-4 based on info in this thread. Shifting was so-so. Sometime this spring one of my axle boot hose clamps broke and I leaked a little fluid. Couldn't find the Valvoline anywhere so I drained and refilled with some GL-5 from O'Reillys. Shifting the same. Once I got the hose clamp replaced I drained and filled again with one of my favorites: Motul Gearbox 80W-90 (which is listed as "GL-4/GL-5," whatever that means) and the trans shift like butter now.

In related news, I have a line on free Motul 300V. I expected the same smoothness out of it in the engine. It's got the zinc levels our engines love and who can best free, right. Motor sounded like a box of rocks. And my oil pressure light would flicker at idle when the motor was cold. So I drained it and went back to 15W-40 Rotella. Much happier sounding motor.

But my Motul love won't let go. Next time I place an order I think I'm going to get some of their high zinc/mid detergent "Classic" oil and give it a try next spring.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

dlearl476 wrote:
A little FHE:

I have a Beck Spyder and with the cable shifter, shifting can be interesting. When I finally got it roadworthy last year I swapped the gear lube out to Valvoline GL-4 based on info in this thread. Shifting was so-so. Sometime this spring one of my axle boot hose clamps broke and I leaked a little fluid. Couldn't find the Valvoline anywhere so I drained and refilled with some GL-5 from O'Reillys. Shifting the same. Once I got the hose clamp replaced I drained and filled again with one of my favorites: Motul Gearbox 80W-90 (which is listed as "GL-4/GL-5," whatever that means) and the trans shift like butter now.

In related news, I have a line on free Motul 300V. I expected the same smoothness out of it in the engine. It's got the zinc levels our engines love and who can best free, right. Motor sounded like a box of rocks. And my oil pressure light would flicker at idle when the motor was cold. So I drained it and went back to 15W-40 Rotella. Much happier sounding motor.

But my Motul love won't let go. Next time I place an order I think I'm going to get some of their high zinc/mid detergent "Classic" oil and give it a try next spring.

You shouldn't lose gear oil even if you cut your CV boots off as the CV should be lubricated by moly grease and not gear oil. You are either missing the cap that seals the output flange or the cap has popped out of place.
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
dlearl476 wrote:
A little FHE:

You shouldn't lose gear oil even if you cut your CV boots off as the CV should be lubricated by moly grease and not gear oil. You are either missing the cap that seals the output flange or the cap has popped out of place.

Unless it's swing axle...

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

66brm wrote:

Oops
dlearl476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

66brm wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
dlearl476 wrote:
A little FHE:

Bingo Wink
pupjoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

dlearl476 wrote:
A little FHE:

I couldn't find Motul Gearbox in my place, been using Motul Gear 300 and happy with it.

surprised at your findings on the 300V. any idea whats the Zn levels in 300V?
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

I've been hearing good things about 300V used on AC VW's so I'm curious too, which viscosity did you try?
busey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

65 Sunroof wrote:
Joe Gibbs Racing now has “Driven” gear oil that is GL-4.

http://www.drivenracingoil.com/dro/gl-4-gear-oil-80w-90html/

Reading thru some pages i'm thinking of using either Redline "NS" or the Joe Gibbs "Driven" in a rebuilt trans that was specified by the rebuilder to use "non synthetic".
mascrappo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

I went with 75W-90 Ravenol GL-4 semi-synthetic and have been very pleased, smooth shift.
busey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

mascrappo wrote:
I went with 75W-90 Ravenol GL-4 semi-synthetic and have been very pleased, smooth shift.

Nice! will keep it in mind.
Italjohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

GL-5 oils often use sulfur-containing lubricants. Sulfur corrodes precious metals (yellow metals).
GL-5 oils are typically for differential or other heavily loaded gears so that the lubricant additives must be of high quality.
A GL-4 is a specification designed to meet the requirements of a gearbox where it is common to use brass and other precious (yellow) metals.

When one oil is both GL-4 and GL-5, one has chosen lubricant additives without sulfur compounds, but they have such good properties that they meet the requirements of a GL-5 oil.
One can therefore use an oil that meets both requirements, without worrying about the corroding of the base metals.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Italjohn wrote:

When one oil is both GL-4 and GL-5, one has chosen lubricant additives without sulfur compounds, but they have such good properties that they meet the requirements of a GL-5 oil.
One can therefore use an oil that meets both requirements, without worrying about the corroding of the base metals.

There have been a pile of high sulfur GL-5 oils sold over the years that also carried a GL-4 rating. These oils were notorious for causing shifting problems.
mascrappo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Liqui-Moly makes a 75W-90 GL4+ that has VW spec approval. Amazon carries it.

I prefer the Ravenol GL4 TSG blend, also from Aamzon, I tried both.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Italjohn wrote:
GL-5 oils often use sulfur-containing lubricants. Sulfur corrodes precious metals (yellow metals).

False.
This so-called corrosion only occurs at temps above 250ºF, and since it's absolutely impossible to get your gear oil that hot, it can never happen.

Nobody has ever seen this mythical corrosion of brass parts. Search the interweb for photos.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
These oils were notorious for causing shifting problems.

Only one person has reported this. The overwhelming majority of GL-5 users have gearboxes that shift perfectly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Italjohn wrote:
A GL-4 is a specification designed to meet the requirements of a gearbox where it is common to use brass and other precious (yellow) metals.

VW never specified GL-4 oil for a Type 1 gearbox.

Subaru gearboxes have way more brass parts than a VW. Subaru recommends GL-5 only.

Yellow (copper) metals inside gearboxes are not precious. They are cheap parts that you throw away at rebuild time regardless of condition because everyone wants new.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Italjohn wrote:

VW never specified GL-4 oil for a Type 1 gearbox.

GL-4 is an oil designed to allow for easy shifting and long life of modern gear boxes and is specified by many current automobile makers for their standard transmissions. VW specified MIL-L-2105B oils for later Type 1 transaxles just like they did for Buses, MIL-L-2105B being the military equivalent of GL-4.

79 Bug
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

73 Bug

In some years' owners manuals, VW erroneously equates MIL-L-2105B gear oil to a GL-5, correctly a GL-5 oil is either a MIL-L-2105D or MIL-L-2105E

robin.richard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Okay, I'm going to change my gear oil.

I was running Valvoline 80-90wt with Some Lucas heavy duty oil additive. Seemed to work okay. No major issues. Only changed the gear oil once in 8 years when I first purchased the bus. Transmission history is unknow but possibly original to the bus. 1967 Westfalia with large nut RGB transmission.

I was thinking of using this gear oil during the change -

Has anyone used this before? Thoughts? Since this is an old transmission with old seals I was staying away from synthetic oil. Is that a correct concern? If not I may go with the Redline NS.

-Rich
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

I wood go with syn.also seals are not that hard to change....if they leek. Im not a fan of mucas products.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 66, 67, 68  Next
Jump to:
Page 59 of 68

Jump to: