Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 66, 67, 68  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The13bats
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
The13bats wrote:
so i plan to use 85w/90 hypoid gl4 sta-lube, im hunting the best price on a gallon, and cant wait to get her going again

I haven't bought any in a while but I either got it from the local NAPA or from Amazon.

Amazon search gave me this:
https://www.amazon.com/CRC-Sta-Lube-SL24239-Multi-Purpose-Hypoid/dp/B000M8RYMC/

Having the little hand pump that screws on top is nice too.
You can see it listed on the Amazon "People bought this too" listings they have on that item above.
I don't have the one they list there but I do have one of those pumps

yep, it appears you are absolutely correct...napa and Amazon, thats it,
i called pep, orielys, autozone, advanced, talked to 5 techs between them i was told engine oil is same as gear oil, i was told they dont carry any gear oil or only engine gear oil, etc
in the end none carry it or can get it, contrast to the crc site listing them,
i will call napa tomorrow, or its Amazon and wait. all to be a purist when im the furthest thing from it.

thanks all,
cheers
b

edit: update, napa that carries it is 20 miles from me and 15.00 more than Amazon so its mail order for me.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
..... started specifically specifying Mil-1-2105 (GL-4) for the '74 model year and continued to do so through the end of the boxer run with the '91 Vanagon, a period of 18 years.

And thus we have the reason why the vast majority of 091/094 gearbox cores have worn out ring & pinions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

The13bats wrote:

i called valvoline tech, and he said there is no "modern" GL5 that doesnt have the nasties that do eat yellow metal and if the bottle says for non synchros then yes, it will eat the yellow metal, period.

I guess you believe Valvoline has purchased and tested every gear oil in existence in the world?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
..... started specifically specifying Mil-1-2105 (GL-4) for the '74 model year and continued to do so through the end of the boxer run with the '91 Vanagon, a period of 18 years.

And thus we have the reason why the vast majority of 091/094 gearbox cores have worn out ring & pinions.

Thus the reason no one ever can find a worn out set to take a picture of to post here. Crying or Very sad
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

There are additives broadly called "friction modifiers" which can enhance OR prevent slip-stick behavior. there are additives that can make the syncros grab stronger, or grab weaker......and yes in some cases once that stuff is in there it won't easily rinse out.

It does not necessarily have to do with the gl-whatever ratings.
You will have to read the label, or ask if it's suitable for use in a syncro transmission.

OEM recommended stuff is probably MORE likely to be right, but also more likely to be expensive too.
at 15$ a quart there better be some magic smooth shifting voo-doo in here!
And you can be sure they'll never tell you what it is either! But it's true.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Thus the reason no one ever can find a worn out set to take a picture of to post here. Crying or Very sad

So now you're trying to tell the world that Mike at Rancho and Dave at Folt's don't know a worn out R&P when they see one?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

So now you're trying to tell the world that Mike at Rancho and Dave at Folt's don't know a worn out R&P when they see one?

It should be easy for you to get lots and lots of pictures if this is happening as often as you claim, maybe several new ones each week for years on end.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

modok wrote:
There are additives broadly called "friction modifiers" which can enhance OR prevent slip-stick behavior. there are additives that can make the syncros grab stronger, or grab weaker......and yes in some cases once that stuff is in there it won't easily rinse out.

It does not necessarily have to do with the gl-whatever ratings.
You will have to read the label, or ask if it's suitable for use in a syncro transmission.

OEM recommended stuff is probably MORE likely to be right, but also more likely to be expensive too.
at 15$ a quart there better be some magic smooth shifting voo-doo in here!
And you can be sure they'll never tell you what it is either! But it's true.

At last...someone else who understands that there is more chemistry...not to mention electrochemistry (metallic element polarity) and PH issues.... to this than just viscosity.

I remember back in the late 80's and 90's a good amount of people (mostly truck based in mentality)...were pushing concoctions like Dow gear guard with graphite and MDS as an answer for rough running full hypoid gear sets.

Once you get that into certain transmissions.....depending on actual synchro DESIGN...the synchros may never work again because they get far too slick...for their surface contact area...AND for their contact angle...AND for the amount of free float before contact they run with.. And getting that lubricating material out of a brass alloy synchro ...can be impossible.

Does this mean it was a bad chemical?....not for something with steel lined/faced synchros...or synchros as big as my wrist.

More to it than just the GL rating.

By the way...be happy with $15 a quart! Laughing The modern VW, Porsche Audi and other manual transmissions....these days...are requiring oils that run 3 times that per quart and require change intervals in the 30-40k range.

I just changed my Golf 6 manual trans oil in September of 2018. The dealer spec'd oil (which has changed spec 3 times over 5 years)...and is never in stock....is about $25 a liter. I used two liters of GM synchromesh friction modified at about $63 for two liters. Rolling Eyes

But...its smooth has butter. Ray
EvilleT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

I am going to try Amalie (73116-56 API GL-5 Certified 75W-90 Hypoid Multi Purpose Gear Oil).

My car is a 58 beetle, 2332 with a Folts built transmission. When I asked Dave for a gear oil recommendation he said "75/90 weight hypoid gear lube". I will let you all know how it works.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

EvilleT wrote:
I am going to try Amalie (73116-56 API GL-5 Certified 75W-90 Hypoid Multi Purpose Gear Oil).

My car is a 58 beetle, 2332 with a Folts built transmission. When I asked Dave for a gear oil recommendation he said "75/90 weight hypoid gear lube". I will let you all know how it works.

Both GL-4 and GL-5 are hypoid gear lubes. GL-4 lubes are usually specced for use with synchronizers while many GL-5 oils are not. I would recommend avoiding any GL-5 oil that is not specifically recommended for use in synchronized transmissions and transaxles.

Maybe try their Elixir Full Synthetic GL-5 75W-90 instead.
EvilleT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
EvilleT wrote:

Both GL-4 and GL-5 are hypoid gear lubes. GL-4 lubes are usually specced for use with synchronizers while many GL-5 oils are not. I would recommend avoiding any GL-5 oil that is not specifically recommended for use in synchronized transmissions and transaxles.

Maybe try their Elixir Full Synthetic GL-5 75W-90 instead.
Dave recommended the Elixir Full Synthetic. I have placed and order. Now I have to figure out what i can do with the other stuff.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
Bruce wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

It should be easy for you to get lots and lots of pictures if this is happening as often as you claim, maybe several new ones each week for years on end.

How many transmissions have you opened up and rebuilt?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:

How many transmissions have you opened up and rebuilt?

The number hasn't gone down since the last time you asked.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

So I just used the valvoline 80w90. I had an old bottle that looks exactly the same except for the little label on the new one that said limited slip. The part numbers are the same, I believe vv831. Do I need to dump this stuff out now?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
So I just used the valvoline 80w90. I had an old bottle that looks exactly the same except for the little label on the new one that said limited slip. The part numbers are the same, I believe vv831. Do I need to dump this stuff out now?

It says right on the Valvoline website "Recommended for conventional hypoid differentials and non-synchronized manual transmissions in passenger cars, light trucks, sport utility vehicles, vans and heavy-duty trucks where an API GL-5 or API GL-4 fluid is specified.."

If Valvoline is telling you not to use it, you might want to listen. They have other oils they do recommend for synchronized boxes.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

I’m not thrilled with what valvoline did. Like I said, I always had a quart bottle around for topping up purposes with the part #vv831.
I bought three quarts of vv831 yesterday and put it in my transaxle. They did in fact change the labeling and wording. So now I need to dump this out.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
I’m not thrilled with what valvoline did. Like I said, I always had a quart bottle around for topping up purposes with the part #vv831.
I bought three quarts of vv831 yesterday and put it in my transaxle. They did in fact change the labeling and wording. So now I need to dump this out.

If Valvoline took a product and changed its product information wording so that the product would no longer be recommended for something as common as a synchronized automotive gear box, then either they were getting a lot of bad feedback when it was used in a synchronized box or they got sued by someone.

It would also be possible that they on their own decided they should produce a product more suitable to a synchronized box, so they quit recommending their older product for that purpose.

Will the presently available vv831 hurt your box if an earlier version did not? Can't say with any certainty.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Look kids here’s oil you can use and not be afraid.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

I can’t believe after all this the valvoline doesn’t work.🙄
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
I can’t believe after all this the valvoline doesn’t work.🙄

It works for me. And my tranny builder specifically mentioned to use it. So I take my advice from the horse's mouth and not the other end of the animal.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 66, 67, 68  Next
Jump to:
Page 61 of 68

Jump to: