Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Just as an update. Just got back from Napa with three bottles of VV831 80W90, and a Wix 51515R oil filter.

I shall swap oil and sleep well, that way I can worry about something else next Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Good enough for the Berg's to recommend at least. Anything is better than the original goop that's in there now.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

WAIT... it's GL4 and GL5, is that possible. Can they coexist?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

It says for "NON -syncronized manual transmissions"

What's that all about?
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:
It says for "NON -syncronized manual transmissions"

What's that all about?

That's more or less the original point behind this drawn out thread in the first place -- GL5 rated lubes can be corrosive to yellow metals under certain conditions, and syncros are made of yellow metal. The manufacturer of the lube doesn't recommend this for transmissions that have synchros for this reason.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2789226#2789226

One could also argue that GL5 lube is too slippery for the syncros to work as intended, though this can vary.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

But it's also GL/4 rated.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Valvoline states it meets or exceeds GL4 and GL5, that's not the same as being GL4 rated. They also specifically state in their product information that a different product (Valvoline Professional Series Manual Transmission Fluid) is to be used in syncronized manual tranmissions.

https://sharena21.springcm.com/Public/Document/184...162d889bd1
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Too late Smile

I can always change it again if it makes me lose sleep. Enough of the people that build and repair these apparently have zero issues with this particular product. The stuff that came out looks brown and smells like swamp water in addition to the distinct transaxle oil stink.

It took an eight foot "I wasn't asking" pipe extension to get the drain plug out Shocked

Good bit of fine steel on the drain magnet Confused

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jim martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Good GOD man .
not again
Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall
KROC head porting services
Dialedinperformance.com
Airspeedparts.com topic http://airspeedparts.com/forums/index.php?topic=914.0
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

jim martin wrote:
Good GOD man .
not again
Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall

This is why there's a dedicated topic.. easier to ignore.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

I thought it was more an issue of the transmission not shifting as well

I dont think GL5 is going to harm any metals.... could be wrong but that is what I gather....

My point was more... don't they add some kind of friction modifier or something for syncro fluid... so that the syncros will shift better or smoother or crisper? Or maybe leave out something that is good for differentials, but makes syncros shift worse....

I thought the consensus was GL5 is fine as long as the fluid is meant for syncros. Isn't it wrong to put fluid that says "for NON-syncro trans" in an trans with syncros....

... regardless of the gl5 or gl4 spec.... that has nothing to do with syncros, more about how much the oil can put up with as far as heavy shocks and loads, how well it protects/lubes, etc.

Sorry guys but this topic needs a few more pages, LOL!!!! Very Happy
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

I went with this stuff based on the fact it's recommended by a few folks with decent amount of experience with these. If I'm not mistaken it's what ends up in most Berg boxes now too.

Like I said, it's not a big deal to swap it later if it rubs me the wrong way. Car isn't even back on the road yet Confused

evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
I went with this stuff based on the fact it's recommended by a few folks with decent amount of experience with these. If I'm not mistaken it's what ends up in most Berg boxes now too.

Like I said, it's not a big deal to swap it later if it rubs me the wrong way. Car isn't even back on the road yet Confused

Ya I definitely wouldn't worry about it. I am just curious to get to bottom of this, or atleast keep digging the hole deeper Twisted Evil My current fluid is likely 60 years old... lol. It worked fine tho! I plan to change it before the new motor goes in like you.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

evanfrucht wrote:

I dont think GL5 is going to harm any metals.... could be wrong but that is what I gather....

My point was more... don't they add some kind of friction modifier or something for syncro fluid... so that the syncros will shift better or smoother or crisper? Or maybe leave out something that is good for differentials, but makes syncros shift worse....

I thought the consensus was GL5 is fine as long as the fluid is meant for syncros. Isn't it wrong to put fluid that says "for NON-syncro trans" in an trans with syncros....

... regardless of the gl5 or gl4 spec.... that has nothing to do with syncros, more about how much the oil can put up with as far as heavy shocks and loads, how well it protects/lubes, etc.

The basic gist is while GL5 can corrode the syncros, it's not likely to do so in our gearboxes due to the sub-250°F operating temps as noted in the link I posted earlier. You may or may not experience shifting issues with GL5 -- it's not consistently a problem for everybody or in all weather conditions. If it works and shifts well enough for you then run it since the extra EP protection lessens wear, if not then stick with GL4. Manufacturers seem hesitant to recommend their GL5 products for syncro transmissions, probably due to liability issues.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Any oil is better than dry, and yes I think it deserves a change every few decades
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
evanfrucht wrote:

The basic gist is while GL5 can corrode the syncros, it's not likely to do so in our gearboxes due to the sub-250°F operating temps as noted in the link I posted earlier. You may or may not experience shifting issues with GL5 -- it's not consistently a problem for everybody or in all weather conditions. If it works and shifts well enough for you then run it since the extra EP protection lessens wear, if not then stick with GL4. Manufacturers seem hesitant to recommend their GL5 products for syncro transmissions, probably due to liability issues.

That sums it's up well
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

I'm running that same fluid in 3 different personal boxes, couple of them for over 10 years and one in a very abused autocross car. been in all of them to change or updates, no wear or issues with the yellow parts, R&P or bearings. Just keep it full and changed per mileage schedule
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Valvoline put that "disclaimer" on the label because jackasses will not let the myth die that it destroys yellow metals. Their "Special" manual trans gear oil is about $5 higher and very difficult to find. I've used Valvoline gear oil in my street cars and my drag race VW for 40 years.
PuddleRainbow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Hello,

Is it normal for vw manual trans to feel stiff but moveable on cool (50F) mornings before the car warms up?

I changed out my trans oil last year to Sta-Lube GL4 from Napa. What came out seemed fine, not too funky or lot of metal shavings.

Thanks
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Conventional oil and especially old school stuff like the Sta Lube will do that, yes. Usually it's not too bad though.

If it's really cold there you may want to look into a 75W90.

PuddleRainbow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Nice. That takes one thing of the worry list. Thanks. My ride's a strictly 3-season. Going into hibernation soon. Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68  Next
Jump to:
Page 64 of 68

Jump to: