Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Neither the transaxle in my Thing or my 83 1/2 Vanagon has been corrupted with GL-5 oil at least during my ownership and both shift fine down to well below freezing, can't say the same for the transaxle in my '77 which I tried the rebuilder's recommended GL-5 in, it requires patience to shift on a cool summer's morning.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Another good deal alert if you have Amazon. I cant help myself Twisted Evil

Currenty 75% off @ $16 bucks a gallon, and seems like a valvoline equivalent/copy. GL5. Made in USA. I looked up the company too they seem legit

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088X3W3D6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_AiHQFbZWXMNVD

I just ordered one, I'm going to use that as a "flush fill" then I plan to put in some redline NS fluid made for synchronized trans. GL5 and GL6 rated.... I'm confident that is the best choice ! It's made for syncronizers and is GL6
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Hmmm. Not bad.

Maybe keep an eye out for good deals for engine oil to post in the other thread too Very Happy

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fair-cooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Hi gang, I spent about an hour reading this thread last evening ( and only read about 6 pages out of 64 ) and couldn’t help but notice the chasm of opposing views there are. Understandable in my opinion. Similar to one persons view of
the best motor oil verses another persons view of there favoured brand.
But I thought I’d add a bit more to the debate, although it may have already been posted.

According to my Haynes “Beetle & Karmann Ghia” repair manual ( Haynes # 96008 - 2006 version ) they recommend using “ API GL-5 SAE 75W90W or 80W90W Hypoid bear oil “. I’m not posting this to reopen this debate, and I’m not sure what oil to use yet, but I just offer it for those who may wish to know what Haynes has published. They also point out that these recommendations where made by the “ manufacturer at the time this manual was written “ and that “ Manufacturers occasionally upgrade their fluid and lubricant specifications, so check with your local auto parts store for current recommendations”. I should mention that Volkswagen also recommended these
same choices for the automatic shift gearbox. I think that when VW says “or 80W90W Hypoid gear oil “ they mean GL-5. This is how interpret it anyway.

So, this is what Volkswagen recommended in 2006. Wether or not Volkswagen has charnged their specifications since then, I have no idea. It might be worth writing to VW about this to find out if this recommendation still applies.

Cheers all,

Darren.

Oils well that ends well Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Fair-cooled wrote:
According to my Haynes “Beetle & Karmann Ghia” repair manual ( Haynes # 96008 - 2006 version ) they recommend using “ API GL-5 SAE 75W90W or 80W90W Hypoid bear oil “. ... I think that when VW says “or 80W90W Hypoid gear oil “ they mean GL-5. This is how interpret it anyway.

So, this is what Volkswagen recommended in 2006.

Haynes isn't owned nor written by VW. A recommendation in an aftermarket repair manual isn't the same as an endorsement by the manufacturer.

With these cars in question out of production and no longer supported by VW for close to two decades now, there are no new updates to recommendations from the manufacturer. One must educate themself to the best of their ability and make decisions based on that, since information from VW stopped a while ago whilst advances in lubricants have not.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
One must educate themself to the best of their ability and make decisions based on that,

I trust the professionals that rebuild transmissions since they see the good and bad caused by what lubricants are used.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fair-cooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

“Haynes isn’t owned nor written by VW. A recommendation in an aftermarket repair manual isn’t the same as an endorsement by the manufacturer.

With these cars in question out of production and no longer supported by VW for close to two decades now, there are no new updates to recommendations from the manufacturer. One must educate themselves to the best of there ability and make recommendations based on that, since information from VW stop a while ago whilst advances in lubricants has not.”

Of course Haynes isn’t written by Volkswagen. What would make you think it was ?

Do you have any VW oil recommendations that are newer than 2006 ? If so, I suggest you post them. What part of “ I’m not posting this to reopen this debate...but I just offer it to those who may wish to know what Haynes has published.” don’t you understand ?? You obviously aren’t interested in knowing this information, so why are you troubling yourself with this ? I suggest you educate yourself ( to the best of your ability ) about reading carefully, and try to be respectful of other people’s efforts. I educated myself last night by studying as many opinions in this thread as was possible. There is nothing wrong with this approach. In fact it is best to do our own research when attempting to make informed decisions. You will find it works quite well. Or you can continue to reject the efforts of others who may have different opinions than your own. The choice is 100% yours..

Best regards,
Darren.

““Complaining is finding faults. Wisdom is finding solutions.” Ajahn Brahm
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

On that point I will ask...

What did VW recommend in 2003 Mexican made Beetles? That would be a lot newer official VW recommendation than we got in the United States of America. The transaxle is almost the identical to the one in our Bugs.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
On that point I will ask...

What did VW recommend in 2003 Mexican made Beetles? That would be a lot newer official VW recommendation than we got in the United States of America. The transaxle is almost the identical to the one in our Bugs.

GL-4, about a third of the way down on the right hand side of the page.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Ya, but that was 2003 tho!!!

Just kidding Laughing Wink

Carry on....
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

I just picked up some synthetic Lucas gear oil today for my rebuilt trans. The specs say it exceeds GL4 and 5 requirements but I don't want to fuck up a $1000 trans anytime soon!

Any input is appreciated. Thanks guys!

https://lucasoil.com/products/gear-oil/synthetic-gear-oil/lucas-sae-75w-90-synthetic-gear-oil

NAES
SBS #00
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Ask the shop that rebuilt it what to use.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Glenn the voice of wisdom!

The oil I have will work fine. Thanks buddy
SBS #00
Brian Anthony
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

After reading the first few and last few pages of this post, I headed to the auto parts store to get some GL 4 gear oil. To my surprise there was no GL 4 oil on the shelf so I started reading all the GL 5 labels and only one said it was suitable for synchronized transmissions.

Royal Purple Max Gear 75W-90.

Stated on the label: Important Notes: Max Gear is non-corrosive to soft yellow metals (brass, bronze, copper). Safe for use in manual transmissions with synchronizers.

Not impressed with the price, but it's now in the trans.

Sorry if this was noted in one of the pages I didn't read.

I’m not old, but I once knew a man who was alive during the Civil War, and he once knew Revolutionary War veterans.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Jesus after all these years people still beating the GL4 drum. It’s perpetually Groundhog Day here. Keep using your sludge cause a switch to synthetic would blow your mind. Very Happy Been using GL5 here for decades no problems.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Jesus after all these years people still beating the GL4 drum. It’s perpetually Groundhog Day here. Keep using your sludge cause a switch to synthetic would blow your mind. Very Happy Been using GL5 here for decades no problems.

I do use synthetic... GL4. I've had no problems and good shifting with Redline MT90 so I keep using it.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

It is safe up on the porch isn’t it?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

There are a lot of GL-5 oils out there, some cause problems and some don't. Some the manufacturer recommends not to be used in a synchronized gear box, some have no recommendation, and some say it's okay.

To say that you have had no problem with a GL-5 oil and not to name it is pretty meaningless. Same with people that say they have had no problems with some specific GL-5 oil and then tell the world they should never downshift into 3rd or 2nd under some normal driving condition.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
To say that you have had no problem with a GL-5 oil and not to name it is pretty meaningless.

Valvoline 80W-90 VV831
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: GL 4 or GL 5 - "Official Gear Lube Topic" Reply with quote

Have used the same product Glenn posted in the last 10 gear boxes Ive used or installed in friends cars, several have been apart for changes or upgrades after years of use, not a single wear issue in any of them. High stress use on most of them!
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68  Next
Jump to:
Page 65 of 68

Jump to: