Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DUI distributor/coils in a VW
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Jim Schield
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: DUI distributor/coils in a VW Reply with quote

Anyone tried these? How did you like them?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've been around for 20 years and nobody seems to use them.

What does that tell you?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jim Schield
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: DUI distributors Reply with quote

I know I haven't heard about VW folks using them, but the design is certainly used on most modern engines now. Maybe the expense doesn't justify the voltage (50,000 volts, $239.00)
Best regards,
Jim
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: DUI distributor/coils in a VW Reply with quote

Bumping this out of curiosity..
and also maybe a big part of why they’re not seen used a lot on vw is the size / aesthetics? The HEI worked well on GM stuff so whats the problem with these on vw?
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: DUI distributor/coils in a VW Reply with quote

I put DUI systems in a few cars, but never an ACVW. They were a good product for the domestic world but having a HUGE distributor/cap/coil on a t1 engine is less than esthetically pleasing to me. Even my pertronix billet distributor is big.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: DUI distributor/coils in a VW Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
on a t1 engine is less than esthetically pleasing to me.

In my opinion the black cast iron look best... not saying they are the best in every engine combo.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: DUI distributor/coils in a VW Reply with quote

I built about 6-8 of these 10 or 12 years ago.

Ugly as all hell, but they will knock you over when they shock you rather than just tickle you like the standard VW stuff.

I used $65 eBay SBC distributors, and about 30min of very simple machine work and they are done. I ground every other prong off the mag pickup.

It’s about the best spark power/$$, and ugliest ignition you could get.

There were 4cyl Vega HEI, but they had a separate coil, and they weren’t available new when I was looking. Only junk yard available.
Brian
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: DUI distributor/coils in a VW Reply with quote

And I thought a Magnaspark was huge. Shocked
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: DUI distributor/coils in a VW Reply with quote

Does it clear the mechanical fuel pump?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: DUI distributor/coils in a VW Reply with quote

People still run mechanical pumps? Laughing Laughing

Of course it won’t clear one.

Brian
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: DUI distributor/coils in a VW Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
And I thought a Magnaspark was huge. Shocked

Ain’t no small cap cross firing in this big girl.
Stinky123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: DUI distributor/coils in a VW Reply with quote

This thread is a bit old. They are based on the Chevy HEI distributer. I'm sorta surprise that they dont make one based on the smaller diameter HEI. I dont know how they compare to Pertronix, and others, price wise. On the Chevy forum, Pertronix is not regarded well, to replace older GM point distributors. Chinese electronic parts aren't regarded well and the DUI website says that they are made in the US.

They use GM parts, therefore, guess which one I.d want to be looking for parts for in the middle of nowhere. GM parts have a good reputation for durability.

As far as electronic ignitions go, the HEI is regarded as being one of the best

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_energy_igniti...HEI,system's%20breaker%20points%20and%20condenser.
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: DUI distributor/coils in a VW Reply with quote

I don't know why we haven't seen someone adapt a chrysler 8 cyl mag pickup dist with vac and mechanical advance to vw... way smaller footprint, bigger cap than the bosch by a lot, nowhere near as big as a HEI and can be used with a remote mounted HEI, way cleaner and will more than likely clear any stock fuel pump.

-Frank
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: DUI distributor/coils in a VW Reply with quote

If a person wants the spark of the HEI GM distributor, anyone can use a GM module and GM coil and get the exact same spark using normal size distributors. The ugly dui beast doesnt have any advantage or purpose.

One way is the vortec style stand alone module, bracket, and coil is $36
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133253996303?mkcid=16&...media=COPY

I personally prefer skipping the module and getting a cdi and having a better spark then the GM HEI.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: DUI distributor/coils in a VW Reply with quote

GMs electronic parts haven't been made in the USA since the 90s. The components may be assembled in the USA making them compliant for made in USA stickers, but the electronics have been made in China and Mexico for decades right along side everyone else's.

And yup, I can attest to the output of those hei distributors. I got layed down a couple times by leaky plug wires and wet fenders. They fkn hurt and my hand took a while to work right again. Not quite as bad as one tech who was leaning on a wet fender who wasn't wearing pants under his wet coveralls and his tighty whiteys were also wet. If you understand current flow and paths of least resistance you'll understand his pain. Shocked
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: DUI distributor/coils in a VW Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
GMs electronic parts haven't been made in the USA since the 90s. The components may be assembled in the USA making them compliant for made in USA stickers, but the electronics have been made in China and Mexico for decades right along side everyone else's.
:

Great Point. This is a reason GM HEI conversions are not the best choice. All the modules are easy to get but they are not made like they used to. My last HEI conversion was on a Dodge, and i kept spare modules in the glove box and had to replace them from time to time.
[email protected] MPH 1/4 Mile & 8.1 @ 83.7MPH in 1/8 Mile with Mild Type 1 VW Mag Case 2234cc commuter engine in stock weight bug w/only .491 total lift(CB2292 Cam), 42x37 heads, 48idf's, Street tires, Belt on, Mufflers, Pump gas, video of the run here: https://youtu.be/M3SPqMOKAOg

Transmission by MCMScott:
Rhino case, Klinkenberg 4.12, Superdiff, 002 mainshaft with 091 first idler. Weddle 1.48 Third & 1.14 Fourth.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ORANGECRUSHer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: DUI distributor/coils in a VW Reply with quote

Can the same be said for a product like MegaJolt?
Berrien Warrior 2.4L Quad4
LAZY MARY 1970 Baja 1835cc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: