Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

porsche999 - [email protected] - Gary
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: porsche999
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: October 23, 2010
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: porsche999 - [email protected] - Gary Reply with quote

Hey everyone,
I have been ripped off and good! Lesson learned, make sure you can see every part you are buying! Insist on detailed pics. There is a guy in Ft. Valley, Georgia named Gary Claxton that is selling VW parts. He told me his father died and he is selling off his parts and cars. After many e-mails and phone calls I purchased a variety of parts. I have seen one of his ads on the Samba recently. He sells under a busines called "Bug Me" which might have been his fathers buisness. Seems like a wonderful guy at first, he might be but I sent him a check for $427 and you should see the parts I got. Most of them are totally unusable. Empi wood shift knobs that the threads are stripped, the wood is cracked, looks like most of the stuff has been sitting outside for 25 years, the 1960's convertible mirrors he sent me were cracked, and dented housings and pitted very bad, carbs missing parts, 1957 horn button cracked so bad you would just throw it away, hazet tools that are not even hazet, missing things in the box, owners manuals in deplorable conditon. Beware, you will wish you never bought anything from him. My money is gone. He will not refund it and let me send this junk back. I don't want to see anyone else taken this badly! I will gladly send you pictures of what he sent me if you want any prove. Beware! Tim (vintage fiberglass)

Moderator notes:
Has also used:
theredbaron9 - [email protected]
stuttgart9 - [email protected]
[email protected]

His son is also named Gary Claxton, Jr., and has stated he is not involved with his father's business dealings.
Feedback thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=494044
bugdust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's looking like I got taken for $75 from this guy. I talked to him in January, sent him a money order and he won't return my emails. I might still get something but it's not looking good.
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Gary Claxton in Georgia (rip off) Reply with quote

I am so sorry he got someone else. Just be glad it was $75. He got me for $427 - well, not exactly. I sent him a money order for $427 and he gave me a pile of junk worth about $150 total. I have his phone number if you want it. he may answer, but he may not. I can try and help you that way. Tim
TristanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I just emailed him about some split window buses he was parting out...this is such a great heads up. When/if he responds I'll direct him to this thread. Evil or Very Mad
bugdust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wish I had seen this thread before I sent the money. I got my parts today finally. I had sent him pics of the 67-only seat belts that I was looking for and he emailed me back saying he had exactly what I was looking for. The seatbelts he sent are a combination of aftermarket and late model crap that are not only rusted but the material is soaking wet with what smells like oil & PB Blaster. I mean almost dripping wet! I opened the totally dry box in my kitchen and had to quickly take it outside.

The 67-only wiper motor is an earlier 6V SWF unit with only two wires hanging out of it that have been just cut off.

The 67 turnsignal arm is an earlier one without the high-beam switch in the handle and again, just a few wires that have been cut near the end.

The horn grilles he sent...one is bent about 30-40 degrees and creased, the other has a dent/crease where it looks like someone pried it off with a screwdriver.

Stay away from this guy. I have a box of crap that is absolutely no good!!
bugdust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a pic I borrowed off here to send him and I asked him if this is what he had. I wish I knew how to copy the actual email onto here with this pic and his response. I know these are type III belts but I even pointed out the difference to him.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's what I received:
Seatbelts

67-only wiper motor

Nice horn grilles

67 turnsignal arm

Nice chrome latch
itsjustme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate it when people do crap like that.
bugdust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed him asking for my money back. He said send him the stuff and he would refund my money. Against my better judgement I sent the junk back. I'll either be out $75 plus shipping it back to him or just the cost of shipping it back to him. I'll update this weekly.
bugdust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, I shipped all the junk back to the guy so now I'm out about $100 total. He doesn't respond to emails.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is banned pending the outcome of your transaction.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugdust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, good news (sort of) I'm only out almost $25 that it cost me to ship the box of junk back to the guy. He finally sent me a money order for the original $75. I'd like to thank Everett for his emails.

I still wouldn't buy anything from this guy.
vintage fiberglass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:01 am    Post subject: I am glad my caution is helping others. Reply with quote

I am so glad that you got your $75 back. I wanted my money back and it didn't happen and it was $427! The other day out of the clear blue sky, months after I was ripped off by this guy a big box arrived from Gary. It had a pair of later bus carbs with all the linkage in it. Weird, no note or anything, but I guess he is feeling guilty for what he sent me. I have them for sale o nthe Samba for $75 to get some cash back. I threw most of the parts away that he originally sent me they were so bad. It was like throwing money in the trash can. I have a big family (7 kids, some are adopted) and money does not grow on trees. Especially VW hobby money. I can't believe after I told him politely about how bad the stuff was that he sent me, and VW people will never accept parts like this that he tried to send more people parts like this again. Wow! Stay away!
Tim
bassinmatt4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I wish I would have seen this before hand. I sent him a cashiers check for 45.00 about 2 weeks ago. He said he would send me a tracking # for my mirror and window cranks but nope. No response to my emails either. I found his phone # and his website though. let you know what happens later. http://www.mouthofsouthgc.com/products.htm
bassinmatt4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like someone on samba is selling stuff for him check it out....
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=604499
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bassinmatt4 wrote:
Looks like someone on samba is selling stuff for him check it out....
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=604499

Deleted, this is not allowed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bassinmatt4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary e mailed me back today asking me to send pictures of the mirror and window cranks I wanted??? I sent them to him and he is suppose to send me a tracking #. Hope all goes well we will see.
bassinmatt4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I ordered a type 3 early mirror and early window cranks from this JERK and he sent me bug mirrors and bug window cranks!!! In crappy quality at that. Beware of this Jerk!! DO NOT BT ANYTHING FROM HIM!!!!
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would like to preface the following feedback by saying that this is the first real problem i've had in buying something from the classifieds in many years, and that i looked through the ad and the pics before inquiring about the part in question. i thought i had clicked on the feedback link in the ad and/or his profile to look for any kind of previous comments on the seller (i usually do), but i did not see this thread, otherwise i would have reconsidered inquiring about the clock i wished to buy.

using an eBay style feedback system, i would give this seller and transaction (so far) a NEGATIVE FEEDBACK. if things get worked out, i may change some of my ratings.
item as described: VERY INACCURATE
communication: MEDIOCRE at best
shipping time: POOR (see description below)
shipping and handling charges: REASONABLE

on saturday October 23, 2010, Gary posted this ad: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1043462
Parting out 1978 Westphalia camper bus Price: you tell me
1978 westphalia camper bus. All of the interior seems to be there and in great condition. I am parting it out, and will ship parts unless they are so large that it is not feasible.

here is a screenshot of the ad:

in this ad, one of the pictures shows the dash, and a black faced late bay bus dash clock can be seen in the right hole of the dash cluster.
here is the picture from the ad:

and here is what a black face bus clock looks like in a dash: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=245777

i sent Gary an email, asking if the clock was available, and if he had a price in mind for it. he emailed me back, giving me a price with shipping:

To: [email protected]
Sent: Sat, October 23, 2010 7:29:51 PM
Subject:
hey jon how about XX dollars shipped i dont have paypal but you can send me a per. ck or money order to Gary claxton XXXX hwy XX south fort valley Ga. XXXXX

i was away from the computer at a VW show before i told him i would take it, but let him know i would still like to buy it:
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sun, Oct 24, 2010 7:17 pm
Subject: Re:

hi Gary
sorry, i was out of town for the weekend. please let me know if it is still available and i will send a money order. price seems fair to me.
thanks
jon

he replied that evening and said:
Sent: Sun, October 24, 2010 8:24:58 PM
Subject: Re:

hey john you can mail it to my address we will probably ship ups unless the postal is cheaper which i doubt include a note with your part request and return address thanks Gary

i sent an email saying i would take it and would be sending a money order the following day
Sent: Sun, October 24, 2010 8:35:44 PM
Subject: Re: Bay Bus Clock, Samba ad

hi Gary
sounds fine, i will mail a money order tomorrow.
thanks
jon

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1043462

on monday, October 25, i went to the post office and purchased USPS money order #17478245XXX (last three digits blanked in case i pursue any kind of charges through the post office). i enclosed the money order in an envelope while at the post office, and mailed it at that time. when i returned home from the post office, i sent Gary an email, letting him know the money order was in the mail:
Sent: Mon, October 25, 2010 3:51:02 PM
Subject: Re: Bay Bus Clock

hi Gary
for the bus clock,
wanted to let you know that i send USPS money order 17478245XXX this afternoon.
thanks
jon

i do not live that far away from Gary (he lives in an adjoining state, one day UPS and FedEx delivery zone), so i figured the money order would take a couple days maximum to reach Gary. that would mean that he should have had the money order in his possession no later than wednesday October 27. i also allowed a few days for him to pack and to ship, the weekend, and then another couple days for it to arrive at my house. had this been the case, i feel as if i should have received the package on or before November 4. i feel this time frame is fairly reasonable. after the mail and other deliveries had gone on November 4, and still no package, i sent Gary an email through the Samba ad, asking if he had received the money order, and if the package had been shipped.

-----Original Message-----
To: theredbaron999 <[email protected]>
Cc: hazetguy56 <[email protected]>
Sent: Thu, Nov 4, 2010 3:08 pm
Subject: TheSamba.com Ad - Parting out 1978 Westphalia camper bus

A visitor to TheSamba.com has replied to your ad for:
at: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1043462
and sent the following message:

hi Gary
per our emails, i sent you a $XX usps money order on october 25 to purchase the
clock that was pictured in the dash of the bus you are parting out. i just
wanted to make sure you received the money order, and to check the status of
shipping. let me know when you can.
thanks
jon

on Saturday November 6, i received this email in reply:
Sent: Sat, November 6, 2010 11:26:53 AM
Subject: Re: TheSamba.com Ad - Parting out 1978 Westphalia camper bus

I have received the money order and I sent the part yesterday. Thanks Gary

to me, receiving an email on a saturday, saying the package had been shipped "yesterday", means that the package was shipped on friday. i was not informed as to the method of shipping, and was not provided any kind of tracking number.
the shipping day that i was told was not the truth, as can be verified by the shipping date on the UPS label. the actual shipping day/date was not friday november 5th as i had been told, but was actually monday november 8th. i was not in a rush for the clock, but if it wasn't shipped, i shouldn't have been told it was. i would have much preferred an email saying it had not been shipped and that it would be shipped the following monday, rather than being lied to.

had it been shipped on friday november 5th it should have arrived at my house early the following week. monday november 8th's deliveries passed, as did tuesday november 9th's. wednesday november 10th's mail arrived with no package, and no other packages arrived by 3pm when i left my house for an out of town trip.
i did receive the package on wednesday after i had already gone out of town for a long weekend. the tracking number on the label is: 1Z 6F9 64F 03 5802 8155 and had been delivered at 3:06pm on november 10. it had been shipped via UPS ground.
when i returned home on sunday november 14th, i opened the package, to find a clock that was NOT the one pictured in the ad.
the one in the ad was a black face, late bay bus clock.
the one i received was a grey faced Type 3 clock:

a Type 3 clock will not fit in the dash of a bay bus as seen in the pic in the ad without significant modification to the clock. the clock i received has not been altered in any way. there are also significant differences between the faces of the clocks, which is why i had asked about the clock in the pic in the ad, because it was clearly a late bay black faced bus clock.
the modification needed to "fit" a type 3 clock in a bus dash can be seen in these pics:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=518634
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=518633
and here's a thread describing the modifications needed to adapt a type 3 clock to a bus:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=334057
also, had the clock i received been the one in the picture, the silver ring around the clock would have been visible in the pic, and i would not have asked about the clock in the first place. if i wanted to modify a type 3 clock, i would have bought some at the past few shows for $5 each and done the modifications myself. i did not want this, i want the bus clock seen in the pic in the ad.

I have sent Gary an email about this issue, and am waiting to hear from him.
----- Original Message ----
Cc: [email protected]
Sent: Sun, November 14, 2010 5:31:38 PM
Subject: TheSamba.com Ad - Parting out 1978 Westphalia camper bus

A visitor to TheSamba.com has replied to your ad for:
at: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1043462
and sent the following message:

Hi Gary. I received a clock while i was out of town, thanks for shipping. i am, however, somewhat disappointed that the clock that i thought i was purchasing, and the one that is pictured in your ad in this pic: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/pix/3479443.jpg is not the one i received. the clock in the pic is a black faced late bus clock. the one i received is a grey faced type 3 clock. if the clock in the pic was the one i received, it would have been fairly obvious in the pic, because type 3 clocks do not fit properly in a bus dash. also, the silver ring around the type 3 clock would have been very noticeable in the pic of the dash. there is no such ring around the clock in the ad picture.
anyway, not sure if you want to do anything about it. it's not really about the $$, it's more that i thought i was purchasing, and expecting to receive the bus clock shown in the picture.
thanks
jon

i just want the clock that is/was pictured in the ad, and i hope Gary makes this right in some way, although based on the previous feedback, i am not overly optimistic about that happening.

any resolution or non~resolution will be posted in the future.
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY WITH THIS SELLER!!!

as a follow up:
using an eBay style feedback system, i would give this seller and transaction a NEGATIVE FEEDBACK.
item as described: VERY INACCURATE
communication: MEDIOCRE at best, and virtually NON EXISTENT after he has your money.
shipping time: POOR
shipping and handling charges: REASONABLE. the price included shipping.

i guess the previously posted feedbacks are totally accurate. i have not heard a peep out of gary regarding this transaction. while mistakes do happen sometimes, admitting that mistake and taking the actions necessary to make it right goes a long way. blowing it off speaks volumes as to the kind of seller gary seems to be.
as a seller myself, if there is a mistake on my part, i try to make anything right as soon as possible.

i have returned the clock to him and have sent this email directly and through the samba. i consider this transaction closed, and the money i have spent to be a loss. at this point i really don't care about the money or the clock.

----- Original Message ----
To: [email protected]; [email protected]
Cc: [email protected]
Sent: Mon, November 22, 2010 12:13:36 PM
Subject: Re: TheSamba.com Ad - Parting out 1978 Westphalia camper bus

Hi Gary.
It has been over a week without any kind of response from you, so I am going to presume that you are ok with the fact that you have ripped me off, pulled a bait~and~switch, whatever you feel like calling it, and that you have no intention of even acknowledging my dissatisfaction with our transaction.
I have decided to return the clock that you sent me. I really don't need parts around here that I don't need and can't use.

It's been sent USPS Priority Certified, tracking number: 70101870000100509551 and can be tracked here: http://www.usps.com/shipping/trackandconfirm.htm (it may take until the end of today for it to show up in their system).
You will need to sign for it. I sent it this way so you cannot claim that I have not returned it to you. I talked to the postmaster about filing a claim on the money order (it's called interstate postal fraud in case you are interested), but you are not worth the hassle at this point.

I really hope you bought yourself something nice with the money you took from me, and that every time you look at that item, you say to yourself "Hey, I bought this with money that I got from scamming someone."
It's really not about the money for me, and I don't even want my money back. It's about having the integrity to sell what is advertised, and not substituting another part just because it has the same name. You obviously don't possess that quality.
In case you are interested (or even capable) of reading your feedback thread about your pathetic business practices on The Samba, here's a link: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=276621 Unfortunately for me I did not see that thread beforehand, otherwise I would have never wasted my time or money in the first place.
Thanks for nothing,
Jon

p.s. this message is too long to send through the Samba email system in one email, so you will be receiving it several times directly, and in two segments through the samba.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banned pending an outcome on this issue.

I noticed in his profile he hasn't used the site since October, 2010 either.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: