Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official So34 35 36 flipseat thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffM-VWUtah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Official So34 35 36 flipseat thread Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help. The bus is red and white (original paint).
'89 16" Syncro Doka
'89 Carthago Camper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Official So34 35 36 flipseat thread Reply with quote

JeffM-VWUtah wrote:
Thanks for all the help. The bus is red and white (original paint).

Then Orange plaid cloth is what you'd have.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Official So34 35 36 flipseat thread Reply with quote

Here is the fabric you are looking for...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2080547

Its a good reproduction of the original so34 fabric. Red/white bus would have the orange/white/violet so34 plaid with red curtains? unless its an early 61 which would have the orange/white/brown brown plaid. Ive got a 64 if you need pics of anything ill try to help...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Official So34 35 36 flipseat thread Reply with quote

JeffM-VWUtah wrote:
I'm working on a a 1964 SO35 Flipseat Camper restoration.

Here is a thread about Westfalia fabrics:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=288348&highlight=westfalia+fabric

Would love to see a few pictures of your so-35!
The_Captainn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Official So34 35 36 flipseat thread Reply with quote

Excited to share with you my new project, an April of 1961 SO-34. Needs a bit of rust repair and is missing a lot of the things that make it a "westy" but is still a subhatch flipseat... I have a about 6-7 cabinet doors, various hinges and latches from what could be saved. The flipseat and brackets are present but missing the rest of the seats/bed. All of the original curtains are in place along with a few other westy items pictured below.

Thanks to @folks55 for going on a mission with me to go pick it up last week! It is a really cool bus IMO, it's going to be a longgggg journey but I hope to save it and camp in it with my family one day.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

GFK WORLDWIDE

1959 Standard Microbus
1961 Double Cab
1963 Caravelle Camper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Official So34 35 36 flipseat thread Reply with quote

The_Captainn wrote:
Excited to share with you my new project, an April of 1961 SO-34.

Do hope you are going to have a thread on your SO-34 journey!!
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Official So34 35 36 flipseat thread Reply with quote

The_Captainn wrote:

Nice find! there's also some nice parts on the table, I scribbled down the Westy parts I recognise, just in case your not sure. Hopefully you can read this...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oakman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Official So34 35 36 flipseat thread Reply with quote

The_Captainn wrote:
Excited to share with you my new project, an April of 1961 SO-34. Needs a bit of rust repair and is missing a lot of the things that make it a "westy" but is still a subhatch flipseat... I have a about 6-7 cabinet doors, various hinges and latches from what could be saved. The flipseat and brackets are present but missing the rest of the seats/bed. All of the original curtains are in place along with a few other westy items pictured below.

Thanks to @folks55 for going on a mission with me to go pick it up last week! It is a really cool bus IMO, it's going to be a longgggg journey but I hope to save it and camp in it with my family one day.

That's a great Westy Chris, more than worthy of the work it needs. You have a great start on the interior with the cabinet pieces that you have. I would get the birth certificate and confirm that engine being original (I would put a hundred that it is). How often do you get a bus with it's og rear bumper too?!! The only bus I've bought that had it's rear bumper still is my flipseat, and it also has it's original engine confirmed by VW.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Official So34 35 36 flipseat thread Reply with quote

The_Captainn, congratulations, she is beautiful. Yes start a thread. Applause Applause Applause
I love this photo.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The_Captainn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Official So34 35 36 flipseat thread Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
The_Captainn wrote:
Excited to share with you my new project, an April of 1961 SO-34.

Do hope you are going to have a thread on your SO-34 journey!!

Once I send it off for metal work I will definitely start one!

GFK WORLDWIDE

1959 Standard Microbus
1961 Double Cab
1963 Caravelle Camper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The_Captainn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Official So34 35 36 flipseat thread Reply with quote

Nice find! there's also some nice parts on the table, I scribbled down the Westy parts I recognise, just in case your not sure. Hopefully you can read this...
[/quote]

Thank you for taking the time to break that all down for me. I am new to the game when it comes to westy's and will take any information I can get!

GFK WORLDWIDE

1959 Standard Microbus
1961 Double Cab
1963 Caravelle Camper
The_Captainn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Official So34 35 36 flipseat thread Reply with quote

oakman wrote:
The_Captainn wrote:

That's a great Westy Chris, more than worthy of the work it needs. You have a great start on the interior with the cabinet pieces that you have. I would get the birth certificate and confirm that engine being original (I would put a hundred that it is). How often do you get a bus with it's og rear bumper too?!! The only bus I've bought that had it's rear bumper still is my flipseat, and it also has it's original engine confirmed by VW.

Thank you for stopping by the other day bro! You schooled me up quite a bite!

GFK WORLDWIDE

1959 Standard Microbus
1961 Double Cab
1963 Caravelle Camper
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Official So34 35 36 flipseat thread Reply with quote

Looks like a reasonable starting point. Love the original paint on there. Means there's less chance of terrible things waiting to surprise you.

Cabinets are going to be a killer to get unless you're planning to go custom.

What's that hiding under the dash on the passenger's side? Heater?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The_Captainn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Official So34 35 36 flipseat thread Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:
Looks like a reasonable starting point. Love the original paint on there. Means there's less chance of terrible things waiting to surprise you.

Cabinets are going to be a killer to get unless you're planning to go custom.

What's that hiding under the dash on the passenger's side? Heater?

I think my plan with the cabinets is to build all new ones but use the pieces I have like the doors and sorta blend the new and old together.

Yeah that’s a heater, really nice instal on it actually. Good eye.

GFK WORLDWIDE

1959 Standard Microbus
1961 Double Cab
1963 Caravelle Camper
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Official So34 35 36 flipseat thread Reply with quote

Nice! Red dash to boot!

if you wanted to, you could remake a few of those chair brackets and sell them. I know i need one!

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official So34 35 36 flipseat thread Reply with quote

Here is my stash of pictures of WD-DW-91, which is possibly the prototype SO-34 flipseat, or at least one of the earliest examples. It is a high hinge bus, meaning it was made in 1960 at the latest. Turkis was first used on the production line in April 1961. This bus appears to have been modified at some point, with a Dormobile roof. I wonder if it was the first Dormobile Westy?

There is plenty of stuff to see in these photos....

With it's friend, mr. '61 SO-22 deluxe Westy:

VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
KrisBalfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Official So34 35 36 flipseat thread Reply with quote

I love that blue/green plaid.
Box on Wheels
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Official So34 35 36 flipseat thread Reply with quote

Cool vintage pictures Cool
The early style folding chairs are pretty cool. If only I could back in time to the factory and grab a few extra folding chairs and water basins from my SO35
67 Titian Red SO-42 Pop-Top walk-thru Westfalia
64 Safari Beige Sunroof Notchback
97 993 S Coupe
97 993 Cabriolet
04 996 C4S Coupe

God, guts, and guns made America great!
Live free or Die
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Official So34 35 36 flipseat thread Reply with quote

Box on Wheels wrote:
Cool vintage pictures Cool
The early style folding chairs are pretty cool. If only I could back in time to the factory and grab a few extra folding chairs and water basins from my SO35
It looks like they have the frame for the seat from between the cabinets, and at least three normal folding chairs. It would take a lot of time and money to recreate that level of furniture these days.

VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26
Jump to:
Page 26 of 26

Jump to: