Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scared the poop out of me
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Castagnetti Ohana Racing wrote:
My first thought was a lava tube....but if it was covered with a concrete lid, it sounds like a cess pool. If it's empty, it might have been drained out? Did you do a property search for the building record and see if a cess pool was ever put in at that spot?

It takes "I've fallen and can't get up" to a whole new meaning. Stay safe. Aloha, Frank

I didn't discover the lid until I felt safe enough to even get in that close, it is buried. The hole goes in at an angle to left of the picture, and you can see quite aways down, not sure if its the bottom or not. It has no sort of liner or anything, just a hole in the earth. Looks totally clean in there, I think its really old, the neighborhood is about 150+ years old.

Aloha,
Rodney

For others in the thread who expressed legal issues about this situation, its under control, and thanks.
runslikeapenguin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaking of falling in holes in the ground, i was hiking today up at massacre canyon in hemet with some friends today because of the rain all week the waterfalls were going full flow. we were approaching the first waterfall and my friend was standing on this dirt patch and his foot sunk in, it was quick sand, so i told him to be careful because it will be solid one second and the next it wont. so i turn around and walk another 10 feet and BAM! up to my nipples!
bljones
Resident Wit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
This is why, when you buy a hose now days, the previous owner has to declare what is on the property.

Who the hell buys used hoses?
Author of Original Rant #1
"It stingd itself to dead... now that is control on you"

2%
bugntjw
Rants Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bljones wrote:
Russ Wolfe wrote:
This is why, when you buy a hose now days, the previous owner has to declare what is on the property.

That's the question I would like answered as well, was just afraid I would not be allwoed to ask?
The all important question, though, is which type of hose: water or panty?

Because of all of this, I am now afraid to go walking accross the property now.....Who knows what's been done around here.

Duct tape is like 'The Force'. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanhag
Samba Mortician

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to inform you guys that talking about buying panty hose from previous owners is not a conversation welcomed in the new "Off Topic" forum. Please check your rants mentality at the door or I will be forced to report you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanhag wrote:
I would like to inform you guys that talking about buying panty hose from previous owners is not a conversation welcomed in the new "Off Topic" forum. Please check your rants mentality at the door or I will be forced to report you.

I dont think you are allwoed to do that.
chillz1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spezialist wrote:
Vanhag wrote:

I dont think you are allwoed to do that.

On tub eh yam eb Allowed..... Laughing

http://www.animalsintheattic.com

Click to view image
bugntjw
Rants Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOps, guess I forgot to spell check my above post. Oh well, guess I should have kept it on topic about holes. I officially apologize for my above remark. (especially since I have typos as well Embarassed )

Duct tape is like 'The Force'. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Van-go108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the sink hole like this one?

Link

There is also a "hollow earth" concept.

1973 Thing
1957 Continental Mark II Click to view image
runslikeapenguin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Van-go108 wrote:
Was the sink hole like this one?

Link

There is also a "hollow earth" concept.

by Zeus's beard! Shocked
DeathBus
WILD MAN!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still find it quite funny Spaz has 2% in his sig line and never knew what it really meant.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bljones wrote:
Russ Wolfe wrote:
This is why, when you buy a house now days, the previous owner has to declare what is on the property.

Damn speeling gnasi

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bugs'n'Pugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: House of Leaves Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
Have you read that book House of Leaves? I recommend you do now. Whatever you do, don't go exploring it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Quote:
I first heard of "House of Leaves" about a year ago on the Internet. Somebody said it was the best new horror novel they had read in years. Then when I started working at a bookstore in town, one of my new friends there told me it was the scariest book he had ever read.
All of this quite intrigued me. So I bought the book and read it over a period of about six months. It's not a quick read, or at least it wasn't for me. I had to have other, more normal, sane books going on at the same time. "House of Leaves" is over seven hundred pages long and it's loaded with literary detour signs, unespected landmines (some duds, some live), and good old "holding the book upside down in a mirror so you can read the words printed that way" fun.

"House of Leaves" is a contortionist's daydream, and a conservative reader's nightmare. I fall somewhere in the middle of the spectrum and found myself admiring the new unhallowed ground Danielewski was breaking, but at other times longing for a more conventional, satisfying structure.

This whole thing is very postmodern. The house is aware of itself as a house, and the book is aware of itself as a book. There is a story of a family moving into a house, trying to sort out its interpersonal demons, and finding that the insides of things (lives, minds, houses) can often be darker, scarier, stranger, and more convoluted than they would appear from the outsides.

That alone would have made a great book, told with inventive language and a compelling psychological subtext.

But that's just the beginning, the backstory really. "House of Leaves" is a story inside a story inside a story, etc. In fact, it puts the dizzying structure of Mary Shelly's "Frankenstein" to shame.

In "House of Leaves," there's a young guy named Johnny Truant who's acting as literary editor, presenting the compelling and disturbing scribblings and ramblings on an old man named Zampano. Zampano's papers, which are presented posthumously, recount, at times blow-for-blow, a documentary film called "The Navidson Record" of a family moving into a house which proves to be larger on the inside than it is on the outside.

There is also another editor above Johnny, who makes comments on top of Johnny's comments. Johnny finds himself wondering if the old man didn't just make up the whole story about the young family moving into the house, because Johnny is unable to find any corroborating scrap of proof that the film exists.

Of course, add into the mix that Johnny is a self-admitted fibber and story teller extroidinaire. He tells us how much fun he has making up completely bogus stories for the benefit of strangers her meets in bars.

Knowing this, the reader has to start to wonder if the old man, Zampano, even exists, or if he's just an invention of Johnny's. And if you follow that line of thinking too far, you might even start to wonder if the heavy black book you're holding exists.

This is the haunted house that's in the film that the old man made up and wrote about as if it were as real as he was, but who was really just a figment of the narrator's fertile imagination, the narrator that doesn't really exist, except on paper and in the reader's mind and imagination...so maybe none of it exists...or all of it does. Maybe the house has turned on its porch lights somewhere deep, deep inside of you, down all those twisting tunnels and swirling, dark echoing caves.

Maybe there's a sign out front. "For Sale By Owner." And under that, in small print, in French, upside down and backwards, "Buyer Beware."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spezialist wrote:

Just big enough for a kid to fall in, and deep, about 30 feet, I guess it was about 4x4 caskets

its really hard for me to see that photo. think you could repost it?
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
Spezialist wrote:

Just big enough for a kid to fall in, and deep, about 30 feet, I guess it was about 4x4 caskets

its really hard for me to see that photo. think you could repost it?

I am working on it.
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jessica wrote:
Dave wrote:
Ian, Yellowstone Park is nothing but a giant, 50 miles across, Caldera. It is the top of an active Volcano, that has crusted over, and that crust is usually a few miles thick, but as you and I have found out, it can be a LOT thinner in places. Some day, who knows when, that volcano is going to go again, it may be 100,000 years from now, it might be tomorrow, but rest assured, it will blow again. Thats what all the geysers and boiling springs and etc are there.... just vents from the volcano. Some day, the vents won't be able to contain the emissions from deep, underground, and kaBOOM.
Scientists say it will wipe out all life on the west coast. I am not saying that, as I have no clue, but that seems to be the general consensus among people who study that type of thing. I imagine Jessica could probably provide more accurate info; as I recall, she is "into" that type of stuff, you know, Tectonic Plates and stuff....

Yeah, I watched something on this awhile ago. I think you got it pretty much right, Dave. If I remember correctly, it's basically a super volcano and when it does erupt again, half of the U.S. will be in danger. I have never been to Yellowstone, but that may change this coming year. Always a place I have wanted to visit.

http://www.snopes.com/science/volcano.asp

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw_nick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tatersgravy wrote:
Here were I live just down the road back in 2001 they were blasting for a new hosing complex when they blasted into a 3000 foot long cave! When they went down into they found fossils, cave paintings, cave bear (?) claw marks on the walls 20 feet off the cave floor Shocked !

"River Bluff Cave" off of Cox Road in Springfield, Missouri.

see: http://www.riverbluffcave.com

very interesting!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: