Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

weekend headrest installation on westy bed seat project
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
targis58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: weekend headrest installation on westy bed seat project Reply with quote

from ideas that I got from some of you guys out there, I was able to picture waht I was gonna do about headrest installation on westy bed seat and did it last weekend. I am so happy that now I have the headrests for my kids and feel so much safer. my van is one step closer to the way it sould have been already in the first place and thanks guys for good ideas..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great! It's a good feeling getting some extra protection for the kiddos. If you don't already have them, check into the three point belts for the rear from GoWesty.
targis58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1621 wrote:
Looks great! It's a good feeling getting some extra protection for the kiddos. If you don't already have them, check into the three point belts for the rear from GoWesty.
hehe.. you read my mind. that was exactly what my next plan was. then i am gonna do something about tthat seat so that it reclines a little for better comfort.I am looking for some hardwares to modify that
BoneStock67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great.
How about some details about how you did it?

"There are two possible outcomes: if the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement. If the result is contrary to the hypothesis, then you've made a discovery.” -Enrico Fermi
ProvoCyclist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the same thing on mine, its easy like cake. The holes are already in the top of the seat, just feel around and youll hit them. I just ordered the plastic things and the clips from the dealer. Cut a little X in the fabric, shove the plastick thing down until it clicks in. Its keyed, so theres only one way itll go in. I filed the stop notch on the headrests some so theyd come out when i needed to make the bed.

Past: 1985 Sunroof GL, 2wd, Subaru 3.3L, manual trans, resprayed to Diamond Silver L97A
markz2004
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you use the front headrest posts as a template/example for the notches you created?

Any pictures would be appricated.
targis58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProvoCyclist wrote:
I did the same thing on mine, its easy like cake. The holes are already in the top of the seat, just feel around and youll hit them. I just ordered the plastic things and the clips from the dealer. Cut a little X in the fabric, shove the plastick thing down until it clicks in. Its keyed, so theres only one way itll go in. I filed the stop notch on the headrests some so theyd come out when i needed to make the bed.

I don't know which seat you worked on but in westy bed, there is no hole there. when yo u take apart the seat there is just plywood and foam that you need to create wholes with pipes. I am gonna get the pix i took which is in my phone now and i will post it this evening
ckissick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I've been wanting to do this for a long time. I never thought it would be easy to do. Looking forward to the pics.
1989 syncro Tristar
1966 Porsche 912
1989 Beck Spyder
2007 GTI Fahrenheit
ProvoCyclist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

targis58 wrote:
ProvoCyclist wrote:

I don't know which seat you worked on but in westy bed, there is no hole there. when yo u take apart the seat there is just plywood and foam that you need to create wholes with pipes. I am gonna get the pix i took which is in my phone now and i will post it this evening

Oh, well, yeah, Embarassed that will make a difference! my van has a rock n roll/z-bed. Sorry!

Past: 1985 Sunroof GL, 2wd, Subaru 3.3L, manual trans, resprayed to Diamond Silver L97A
targis58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok..
I used a donor seat (middle bench seat) that I got from craigslist and took headrests, retainer clips and guides out. I went homedepot and purchased 1/4-1 1/2 machine screws, locking washer, nuts, and big diameter washers that have little bigger than1/4 inch hole in them. then from plumbing department got 2 foot long precut pvc pipe that fits the headrest guide-sorry I dont remember the size of the pipe but I think it was 3/4" and a bag of pipe straps

picture will explain rest of the part

back side of the seat. washers are different size cuz I miss counted the washer so I had to use smaller washer supplied from my tool shed.

front of the plywood
carefully position where you wanna have the rest and drill holes and fasten them. I used pvc pipe over galvanized one because it is easier to cut and modify but still very strong(with this short length I think it s strong enuf).

sorry pictures are not that clear I only had my phone camera at that time.
after fastening all the pipes, cover the fabrics and staple back to normal position. find the pipes with your finger by feeling around it, make x cut, then push the guides in thats it. oh by the way I modified the guides and the pipes little bit so that guides slide in to the pipes and also get locked in so that guides don't rotate around once they are in the pipes..

if I wasn't clear on some part just pm me with detail question.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another parts list in the following thread:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=239679&highlight=headrest

Good work on the pictures, I'm never patient enough to stop and snap photos.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: