Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Crooked Bumper
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Crooked Bumper Reply with quote

I scored (or thought I did) a good quality, new rear bumper for $20 off of Craigslist. However when I removed the old, rusted and wrinkled bumper and installed the new one on my 69, it didn't quite align correctly. It's as if the bumper has a higher degree of curvature to it when compared to the old one. There's no indication that the brackets have been subjected to an impact (whereas the old bumper looks like it might have been hit). As of now, the outer edge of the passenger side sits about a 1/4 inch from the fender (much too close for comfort) while the driver side is more like 3 - 4 inches from the respective fender (visually normal). Any suggestions on what may have caused this or how to correct it?

Thanks in advance!

Oscar: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, 2.0L FI, Manual Transaxle
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

prehaps if/when the car was hit and the rear bumper was wrinkeled, the mounts got bent, and now a straight bumper doesnt fit right?
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got under the car and looked at the mounts, they seem straight, undamaged and original. I don't think it's that. I even went so far as to measure the protrusion (for lack of a better word) from the fenders. Both brackets protrude the same distance.

Looking at the packaging, it's a JC Whitney bumper and I'm wondering if that's the source of my problem right there: they just sell bumpers with incorrect curvature.

DrDarby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What year is your car ?
Front or rear bumper ?
Are you trying to fit a rear bumper on the front ?
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 69, a new rear bumper, and I'm attempting to install it on the rear of the car. It did occur to me that I might have been mistakenly led into buying a front bumper instead of a rear, but I compared it to my existing front bumper and the curvatures are exceedingly different. The front bumper has a more square-ish quality to it whereas the rear seems to be a consistent arc.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: