Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

what to take - what would you take
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: what to take - what would you take Reply with quote

Bucko and Wildthings covered it well.

I made 7 trips to Alaska and return to southeast Kentucky from 1986 through 2003 with my 83 Air-cool Tintop. I always used it as my daily driver for about two months before hitting the road. And, I went over a list of things from bumper to bumper.

I did have one major break down at Delta Junction, Alaska in 1997. Engine burned a valve on # 1 cylinder. The incident happened on Friday evening and we were back on the road Monday morning (that's the short story). Then, in 1999, an exhaust valve seat apparently began to move (same cylinder) which caused the engine to develop a very slight mis-fire (weak) at idle. So, I used a VW Dealer in Grande Prairie, Alberta ........ down two days and a little over $400.00 US dollars .... I was pleased!

My 84 Vanagon with an ALH TDI, has taken us to Alaska twice with no major issues. We are hoping to head north on July 8th. I am now going through everything from bumper to bumper even though I did it last year about this time.

My tool list and associated things is not quite as lengthy!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brumski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: what to take - what would you take Reply with quote

Logan, Ut. To St. Paul, Mn. traveling to see my grandmother. My 1984 camper ran great through Wyoming, Nebraska, South Dakota and then it happened. Battery indicating light lit up and then shortly after, the temp gauge and fuel gauge needles dropped off of the map. Pulled into a gas station in Pipestone, Mn. to have the van quit at the gas pump (luckily). Performed a battery load test with my electrical meter and determined the battery was good leaving the issue to be the alternator. Luckily I had purchased a used alternator from a Samba.com seller in California before the trip. I was back on the road in 30 minutes.

I carry the tools I think I may need. I also carry-
Electrical wiring
Assorted crimp connectors
Fuel filter
Alternator belt
Fuel pump
Accelerator cable
Thermostat

You can't just run to the auto store and purchase parts at will for these vehicles. In my opinion, to be a vanagon owner and enthusiast includes being prepared for the worst. Good luck out there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: