Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brim's VW Restoration New Hampshire
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tee Dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Brim's VW Restoration New Hampshire Reply with quote

My dealings with Brim were around '06, I guess before all these problems arose. I can't really remember how we even became acquainted. I was new to this level of VW's at the time and didn't know you could spend tens of thousands of dollars on a car that was worth a fraction of that when you were done ! Very Happy

I spent many hours working alongside of him at his shop and together we turned out a wicked nice car.
I learned a lot from him about VW's and other stuff in general.

At the time, Brim was a quiet, intelligent, private kind of guy who chose his words carefully and didn't bad mouth other people. He was well read, aware of what was going on in the world and had many interests. From what I saw he lived a simple, perhaps Bohemian lifestyle with his main focus on growing his business.

We haven't been in touch for a few years. I can't imagine what the hell went wrong and I'm kind of afraid to ask.

I understand what everyone concerned is going through here and wish you all the best. Brim included.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Brim's VW Restoration New Hampshire Reply with quote

a quick search during a break......

http://www.fosters.com/news/20181009/rochester-man-guilty-took-money-didnt-fix-cars
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ROCKOROD71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Brim's VW Restoration New Hampshire Reply with quote

These news story links are depressing in that: this is what journalism has come to? Is that paper hiring? There are juicy details to this story they are just blowing right over. This guy stole thousands upon thousands of dollars from people, IN THIS THREAD ALONE! Where did it all go? Hookers? Cocaine? Gambling? Also they list that in each case he took "over $1500" which I assume is the legal number needed to be stolen for whatever charge he was hit with. Coulda juiced that up a little and listed some of the actual amounts, which were likely in the tens of thousands. Also 60 years seems a little harsh for bilking idiots who keep shoveling money at you without seeing results.

30 years from now, the next guy may not want your girlfriend, but he may want your classic car, depending on how nice you were to it.

asiab3 wrote:

Careful guys, a petulant child can grow up to be president these days.

**winter drivers: no survivors!**rust warrior**#keepbodyshopsbusy**
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Brim's VW Restoration New Hampshire Reply with quote

ROCKOROD71 wrote:
. Also 60 years seems a little harsh for bilking idiots who keep shoveling money at you without seeing results.

DMV is no joke....I bet there was VIN issues they nailed him on too. 60 years does seem to be a bit much...but lets just say it was 5 years per client.... that is only 12 people.

problem is....he was "showing" progress....he was sending the same photo of the same pan to different people...that is the deception.

most people wouldn't know what a pan looks like all torn down...sad. not sure what happened to him but boy did it go south.

no one wins...people lost cars and $$ and he's in jail. he will never be able to pay restitution in this lifetime.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
jbmnsx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Brim's VW Restoration New Hampshire Reply with quote

I am sure this isn't news to anyone but Brim Bell is in jail. The county brought six cases against him. One was for my wife's 57 Beetle which I bought her before we were married in 1977. I did an initial restoration then and painted it a Porsche yellow including the interior. I sent the car to Brim in the fall of 2012 and sent him $18,000 over the next 6 months. Then the calls from Brim for money saying I would lose the car if I didn't send him money. $10,000 later I had had it and he disappeared. Another victim e-mailed me that Brim was just scamming me and a bunch of others.

My wife and I were flown up to Dover to testify in our case. My wife testified as to her ownership of the car and her phone conversations with Brim. Then it was my turn as I had more dealings with Brim. I had kept very good records including payments, emails and text messages, I even gave them my phone with the messages and bogus photos he sent. I testified over two days but it did the trick. Brim was found guilty on four of the six cases including mine.

The judge would not let him out on bail because the first time he skipped town. He is in jail now awaiting sentencing which will be in the next 30 to 60 days. My wife's car is MIA.

I know it is late to try to find the car now but it means a lot to us. When I sent it to Brim it was still yellow except for a green front hood. The VIN is 1131553375 and was sent to Somersworth NH. The car is listed as stolen but if it is out there it has probably been changed.

Please help me find it, I will buy it back if it has been restored.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Brim's VW Restoration New Hampshire Reply with quote

Wow, Just fucken WOW !!!!
Living in N.H. from 1985-'95, I met Brim in the mid '90s, never needed his services or could pay his prices, glad I went w/ the local guy I knew instead of this shit bag. I too am curious what sent him down this path, Coke ? Heroin? The "thrill" of living on other peoples dime ?? Rolling Eyes

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Brim's VW Restoration New Hampshire Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
Wow, Just fucken WOW !!!!
Living in N.H. from 1985-'95, I met Brim in the mid '90s, never needed his services or could pay his prices, glad I went w/ the local guy I knew instead of this shit bag. I too am curious what sent him down this path, Coke ? Heroin? The "thrill" of living on other peoples dime ?? Rolling Eyes

Well there is rumors of why but as they are rumors I will let them be.....

The problem is the robbing Peter to pay Paul system never works. Once you start going down that hole you have to say no and stop or you will just keep getting deeper. There was a local VW shop that was doing the same thing but at least was only 2 deep for what we heard. He never got nailed for anything, closed shop (I never had your convertible Shocked ... ) and runs (owns) a chain part store in town now....

Yep way back I was going to send the 50 to him and did some asking around (Why are you shipping your Bus to CA instead of to Brim?...) and decided that it was not going to be a good idea and that was back in the 90s.

This should be kept in the minds of any business owner. Yes there will be hard times and times when money is short (or not) but if you dig yourself a hole you will have even more issues getting out. Instead get out and work a bit more. Hey I am the master of "I need money what can I sell or do" and I know it will work (watch my adds this month as it is insurance time again...).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Brim's VW Restoration New Hampshire Reply with quote

WM971252 wrote:
This should be kept in the minds of any business owner. Yes there will be hard times and times when money is short (or not) but if you dig yourself a hole you will have even more issues getting out. Instead get out and work a bit more. Hey I am the master of "I need money what can I sell or do" and I know it will work (watch my adds this month as it is insurance time again...).

Applause
General rule I have heard:
If you are a person the recommendation is to have 6 month expenses in the bank.
If you have your own business it's 12 months.

I think a lot of VW people or similar collectors have other sources like you stated, we have "cash" sitting around that we can clear out, if necessary.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
konis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Brim's VW Restoration New Hampshire Reply with quote

https://www.fosters.com/news/20190102/rochester-man-gets-5-10-years-for-antique-car-repair-fraud

Ya
Brim’s as solid a sneaker filled with puppy shit

Read for yourselves
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Brim's VW Restoration New Hampshire Reply with quote

Well, Mr. Bell, if you drop your soap, stay dirty... Shocked Cool

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Brim's VW Restoration New Hampshire Reply with quote

Wow....just wow....
konis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Brim's VW Restoration New Hampshire Reply with quote

https://www.unionleader.com/news/crime/vw-beetle-s...ea81e.html

Facing another 7 years on top of of his current 5 to 10
UsedKnowBrim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Brim's VW Restoration New Hampshire Reply with quote

I am going to chime in on this thread:

1) I do not own any VW's.
2) Brim does not or has ever owed me any $.
3) Brim was a friend of mine years ago. (I knew him quite well)

The above being said I would like to shed some light on what I know of Brim Personally:

1) Brim was a good VW Mechanic/Body Man. He actually worked for a BMW dealer that did in house body work. He went to work every day and rarely missed any days of work.

2) Brim did not drink heavily or was ever into any heavy drugs.

3) Brim never stole from or manipulated anyone that I know of.

4) Brim was also one of the most annoying people I have ever met. He had very bad social skills.

5) Brim marched to his own drummer. He seemed to live in a slightly different reality than what was really happening. He believed in this reality.

6) Brim is not stupid yet he is not smart. He can be EXTREMELY gullible. Many times he was out in left field without a mitt.

I have read this whole thread from start to finish and this is what I think happened:

1) Brim had good intentions and probably in his mind felt that he would deliver all the cars he worked on. (Even though in reality this was not going to happen)

2) Something must have happened that he fell into a Rob Peter to Pay Paul situation. Yet, he did not recognize that this was happening as he lives in a slightly different reality. He probably in his mind felt he could eventually pay Paul.

3) Brim did not set out to rip any of you off. Or at least he thought he was not ripping you off (In his mind).

***He is not smart enough to plan something like this.***

My point is that Brim is not capable of masterminding a fraud scheme. He lacks the type of intelligence to do such a thing.

Something must have happened (Gambling Debts???? Drug Addiction (From his injury perhaps?)) that caused him to go down this road.
Captain Slow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Brim's VW Restoration New Hampshire Reply with quote

UsedKnowBrim wrote:
I am going to chime in on this thread:

1) I do not own any VW's.
2) Brim does not or has ever owed me any $.
3) Brim was a friend of mine years ago. (I knew him quite well)

The above being said I would like to shed some light on what I know of Brim Personally:

1) Brim was a good VW Mechanic/Body Man. He actually worked for a BMW dealer that did in house body work. He went to work every day and rarely missed any days of work.

2) Brim did not drink heavily or was ever into any heavy drugs.

3) Brim never stole from or manipulated anyone that I know of. People change.

4) Brim was also one of the most annoying people I have ever met. He had very bad social skills.

5) Brim marched to his own drummer. He seemed to live in a slightly different reality than what was really happening. He believed in this reality.

6) Brim is not stupid yet he is not smart. He can be EXTREMELY gullible. Many times he was out in left field without a mitt.

I have read this whole thread from start to finish and this is what I think happened:

1) Brim had good intentions and probably in his mind felt that he would deliver all the cars he worked on. (Even though in reality this was not going to happen) For a while this may have been true.

2) Something must have happened that he fell into a Rob Peter to Pay Paul situation. Yet, he did not recognize that this was happening as he lives in a slightly different reality. He probably in his mind felt he could eventually pay Paul. He knew he was in a hole--perhaps not realizing how deep it had become until it was already too late.

3) Brim did not set out to rip any of you off. Or at least he thought he was not ripping you off (In his mind). At some point in his timeline, this assertion became BS, knowing full-well he was stealing to try to save himself from more "aggressive" debtors.

***He is not smart enough to plan something like this.***

My point is that Brim is not capable of masterminding a fraud scheme. He lacks the type of intelligence to do such a thing.

Something must have happened (Gambling Debts???? Drug Addiction (From his injury perhaps?)) that caused him to go down this road.

You mention his injury, but he was already playing financial games with people before that happened. He definitely enjoyed the blackjack tables--and wasn't very good at it. There were plenty of late evenings he would call looking to sell something for gas money back to NH from CT because he "spent it all" getting parts for jobs--yet there was obviously no parts in the car for customer vehicles...

The last time I saw him in person, he showed up at my front door unannounced, with a dark colored, jacked up Dodge diesel idling at the curb. He looked scared, wouldn't step past the threshold, and was "with a friend", and was trying to sell a motor which I had no need for.

Please don't make excuses for him. The friend you "used to know" is no longer. The person he is now is a thief and a liar.

Unlike his customers, with the years he's been sentenced, he's at least gotten a taste of what he deserves.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Brim's VW Restoration New Hampshire Reply with quote

So it looks like gambling was his down fall. Anyone contact that Jim Lund guy ?? Anyone get there car back ???????
I didn't see a total years he was going to get, 7 1/2-15 years for each count does not mean he will get 60 years....

My Pops:
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'86 Doublecab W/T
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Brim's VW Restoration New Hampshire Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
So it looks like gambling was his down fall. Anyone contact that Jim Lund guy ?? Anyone get there car back ???????
I didn't see a total years he was going to get, 7 1/2-15 years for each count does not mean he will get 60 years....

https://www.bailbondsearch.com/new_hampshire/nhdoc-inmate-BELL/116957
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Brim's VW Restoration New Hampshire Reply with quote

obus wrote:
crukab wrote:

https://www.bailbondsearch.com/new_hampshire/nhdoc-inmate-BELL/116957

Good work Paul !!
But acording to that, he could only do 3.5 years.....

My Pops:

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'86 Doublecab W/T
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
herbyderby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Brim's VW Restoration New Hampshire Reply with quote

Sentences in New Hampshire are served "concurrently". Even if Bell was convicted of 10 more felonies, he would only serve the same amount of time as if he were charged with 1 felony. His release date is 4/12/2022.
The root cause of this catastrophe was an extremely severe compulsive gambling addiction.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Brim's VW Restoration New Hampshire Reply with quote

So what's to stop him from repeating the same?

Not easy to make an "honest" living once you know how to extract $$ from trusting people
konis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Brim's VW Restoration New Hampshire Reply with quote

So brim bell
New Hampshire state property inmate 116957
is applying for a reduction of his sentence due to the fact he has served 2/3 of his time.
Anyone who may be interested in calling in to listen to his cries and sob story should now contact Patrick Conroy - assistant county attorney handling his case
Ph 603-749-2808
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: