Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What wheels will mak it roll?!?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NotYetKnotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 6:45 pm    Post subject: What wheels will mak it roll?!? Reply with quote

Im picking up an old bus, chances are its from 66 to 70, and its a 21-window split...I dont know yet, its being given to me. Its on cinder bocks with no wheels and i need to know what wheels to take to bolt on to get it on the trailer. And info would rock =-)
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 7:29 pm    Post subject: What wheels will mak it roll?!? Reply with quote

what ever it is if its got 21 windows its pre '68, I think you'll need wide fives, but I haven't had a split myself so post in the split bus for an expert answer that you can be more sure of. Jeremy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 7:41 pm    Post subject: What wheels will mak it roll?!? Reply with quote

wide fives is right, How can there be no wheels...some people. If its been sitting outside with no rims on it and no cover, chances are it's not rollin'. Those brakes could be siezed pretty tight! You may want to make, borrow or get a dolly to roll it around on.
NotYetKnotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 8:10 pm    Post subject: What wheels will mak it roll?!? Reply with quote

haha..hmm....I dont have any wide fives laying around....I guess ill just push pull and shove it on the trailer....Im so excited!!
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 8:17 pm    Post subject: What wheels will mak it roll?!? Reply with quote

if you back the trailer up fast enough you might be able to slip it under the bus and knock the cinder blocks out of the way.
rizzag
Now Wut?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 8:19 pm    Post subject: What wheels will mak it roll?!? Reply with quote

thats awesome!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NotYetKnotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 8:23 pm    Post subject: What wheels will mak it roll?!? Reply with quote

haha..sounds a bit risky. Maybe i'll just look for some BIG guys to help lift it, Im a skinny vegan..I wouldnt be too much help. Im going there on Thanksgiving weekend..I hope th weather is on my side
Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 8:35 pm    Post subject: What wheels will mak it roll?!? Reply with quote

70'

Your lucky I like you or you'd be in the top 5 for the Jakub award
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 8:43 pm    Post subject: What wheels will mak it roll?!? Reply with quote

LOL
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 8:44 pm    Post subject: What wheels will mak it roll?!? Reply with quote

It was a joke. Ya know...funny like.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 8:54 pm    Post subject: What wheels will mak it roll?!? Reply with quote

This 'trip' sounds phoney. If you're going to pick up a bus w/ no wheels on it plan a couple extra days there making it even roll onto a trailer. You'll probably be better off just pullin off the drums and removing the brake shoes and 'hoping' you have the right wheels/lugs. Be prepared because you're not going to go to Autozone and find the needed parts when you get there. Notyetknotty are you Male or female?
NotYetKnotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 10:20 pm    Post subject: What wheels will mak it roll?!? Reply with quote

I hope this trip doesnt turn out phoney. I have high hopes but keep knocking on wood. There is a story behind this bus ( belonged to a man who owned a body shop in the 1920's, he died and they crushed over 200 cars, saving a few buses an other stuff) The lady doesnt have the time.money to fix it up, but says it was pulled in, and the tires taken off, and there she sits, for around 15 years i am told. Noone really knows much about it, maybe no title, Im going to talk to the lady tomorrow. I plan on taking off the drums and removing the pads, I figure they will be frozen. But i am willing to do anything to save this Vw. Plus....its free, I have nothing to lose (besides 10 hours there and back)Im male. I used to own a 1971 Bug....sold it and Im still kicking myself. I dont have all that much VW experience, But this will be a learning experience if nothing else =-) Peace! Kyle
chillz1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 12:07 pm    Post subject: What wheels will mak it roll?!? Reply with quote

"But this will be a learning experience if nothing else =-) Peace! Kyle"....

Be prepared for it to be an expensive learning experience as well. Split bus parts are not cheap and plentiful.
NotYetKnotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2002 11:22 pm    Post subject: What wheels will mak it roll?!? Reply with quote

There are some other buses there, Perhaps the parts will be inter-changeable * crosses fingers* Plus, its going to be sold to the crusher by some Rich yuppy snobs, to be blunt, So if nothing else ill let it live out the rest of its life rusting away in my yard. But im a welder..haha...I should have some money to fix it up, Of course i am still in High School and dont have a welding job so....... hmm
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 8:02 am    Post subject: What wheels will mak it roll?!? Reply with quote

Kyle,
Have you figured out that this might be a hairbrained high school experience. Find out all you can on the bus, you'll need to know because if you get it 'home' you'll be trying to unload it to by a 71 beetle again. Scroll through classifieds and check some prices, splitties are not for high school budgets.
NotYetKnotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2002 6:11 pm    Post subject: What wheels will mak it roll?!? Reply with quote

haha Man, I expected people to be a bit more positive about it. I mean really, I have nothing to lose, I dig road trips, and even if i dont have enough money to make it run in a year...its a start. Are you saying its not worth saving this bus from the crusher?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 6:55 am    Post subject: What wheels will mak it roll?!? Reply with quote

everyone uses the 'crusher' story when they're trying to get rid of a car quick. Unless this bus is in some remote covered secret location then someone alot closer to it than you has seen it especially if it is a desireable bus. 15 yrs is a long time for word to go 'round the VW circles. If the bus is for real and it's free and you will restore and use it, go for it....it's just a huge undertaking. If it sits undriven in your garage forever it isn't any better than the 'crusher'
killbotpowerhead@hotmail.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2002 12:04 pm    Post subject: What wheels will mak it roll?!? Reply with quote

go for it man.
i'm a seventeen year old high school, student and i own a 71 bus, and although given: parts are easier and cheaper to find for it than your split, you'll learn to love it so much you don't mind spending all of your booze money on it. and besides its a free 21 window , and you can let it "settle" into your garage untill you can manage to get money for it even maybe a four year hiatus for university, i mean its been sitting for fifteen years another few aren't gonna hurt it( try to cover it with a car cover or tarp.) good luck and enjoy.
sdp65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 9:07 pm    Post subject: What wheels will mak it roll?!? Reply with quote

I have a 78 van with no interior and no engine and the tranny is taken all apart and it is free, if you are willing to drive ten hours and pick up the first, do you want this one also?? the parts for the bays are ALOT cheaper. I need it out of my yard, anyone want some parts??
Scott
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeremysmithatshawdotca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 11:29 pm    Post subject: What wheels will mak it roll?!? Reply with quote

Where are you sdp65?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: