Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Block off Plate in Front Heater
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Block off plate removal
Removed plate with good results, happy
23%
 23%  [ 7 ]
Removed plate with poor results, sad
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Didn't remove plate, sad
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Didn't remove plate, happy
60%
 60%  [ 18 ]
Plate wasn't there to start with
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 30

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Block off Plate in Front Heater Reply with quote

I have no idea what the block off plates in the front heater assembly are for. Are they in all water cooled Vanagon front heater boxes or just ones sold in more southerly climes? I just left mine out and haven't driven the van yet so I don't know what difference it will make. What have others done?
Witless Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean the ones that swing freely, and have no cable connection to them?

They slam shut when you turn the blower motor on, increasing the air pressure through the system under the influence of the blower. When they work properly, you should hear them slam close as soon as you crank on the blower motor.

If you turn the blower off, they swing open, and allow "ram air" from the front grille to pass through the airbox and heater core when the vehicle is moving.

If they're not there at all, then you'll have lousy air pressure through the vents when you're using the blower motor. But air pressure under the influence of "ram air" when the vehicle is moving, will be unaffected.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I am talking about the aluminum plate that lays tight against the heater core and blocks about 1/2 of its area to air flow.
ak_runner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I had my heater out last Fall I thought about this, the plate does look at first glance like it does more harm than good. I checked with one of my local, and very knowledgeable, Vanagon repair shop/clients of mine and they said to leave it in. That without it the heater output is even worse. Hard to believe it could be much worse than it is, I drive around with condensation or ice on the insides of my windows, and it takes a long time for the interior to warm up. This even after I have improved the system by blocking off the outside air intake and adding recirculating air. You would think that with Germany being a cold climate country that they would have designed a better cabin heating system.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that I will know tomorrow whether it hurt or helped to have pulled it out. I know it was damn cold driving through Wyoming and Colorado a month back with only the front heater working.

Couldn't hardly keep my hands warm, reminded me of driving an air cooled.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on my 1980 conversion I left that plate out.. I have VERY good heat (underway) in my TD
but I also added pipe wrap insulaton to my heatercore lines to retain all heat to the front.

on Mom's 86 theres no insulation and it runs cooler then my 80.

also an item to check is the heater control valve. make sure it goes thru full range of motion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got every thing reinstalled and took the van for a ride yesterday. I couldn't notice any difference in the heat output with the plate having been removed. Not particularly cold out, temperature was just at freezing. I think the heater will be pretty marginal once the temperatures get down to 15°F or so like it was before. I do think that I am getting noticeably more air flow to the defroster ducts than before, but this could be for several reason, like the fins not being clogged with debris and the fan motor working better.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya know, I hate to think we are smarter than the VW engineers. VW does not put things in for no reason. That plate is there for some (probably really good and solid engineering) reason. OK, we rebuild the various sub assemblies for ease of use or simply to clean 20 years of abuse and funk out, but to remove some baffle or whatever with out completely understanding what it is there for is not right, at least in my book.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
Ya know, I hate to think we are smarter than the VW engineers. VW does not put things in for no reason. That plate is there for some (probably really good and solid engineering) reason. OK, we rebuild the various sub assemblies for ease of use or simply to clean 20 years of abuse and funk out, but to remove some baffle or whatever with out completely understanding what it is there for is not right, at least in my book.

Well what if it were added so that you wouldn't melt your windshield wipers or crack your windshield if you left your van sitting parked for an hour with the heaters running full bore? That would be a legit purpose for having it in there, but as an informed owner/driver I can just turn the heat down and accomplish the same thing. It got removed in the hopes that I can keep my pinkies a little warmer driving through the interior west on a winter's night, that too is legitimate reasoning.
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with r39o, although I asked the same question when I was doing a heater rebuild on my '85 a little over a year ago. Nobody seemed to know what it was there for. I don't know enough about thermodynamics and heater design to guess why it's there... it seems kinda goofy to me. By the same token, I don't like to second-guess the engineers without a good functional understanding of what the thing is supposed to do so I left it in.

The heater kicked ass in the '85 when I was done, and the heater in my '88 has been defrosting and heating the cabin nicely, so I figure I'll leave the '88's in as well when I get around to rebuilding the heater box.

One guess I have is that more air can flow through the heater core with the baffle removed, but it may cool down the heater core more than is optimal. If that's the reason, though, why didn't VW build a smaller heater box or at least use a smaller heater core? Maybe the heater core they spec'd was a standard part? Whatever... like I said, it seems kinda goofy but unless someone can give me a plausible reason it's there I'm not going to second-guess.
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect the plate was there for good reason. Given the Van was designed in Germany, intended to marketed there, they probably had something in mind. Germany, from the winters I spent there, is not exactly what I would call 'Tropical'. If your heater is anemic, then I would suspect it is clogged with deposits. No, not interest bearing IRA type, but the same ones that eventually make your radiator not do the radiator thing.

A new radiator core will most likely give you a lot more heat than a 25 year old one. You may want to re-activate the rear one as well. It really will heat you out of the van, at least mine does. The difference between a new and old one is quite dramatic.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one has stated that German models had the plates, the Bentley doesn't show them, which implies they did not. As I asked in my first post were the block off plates used in all climates or just southern ones?

No doubt the rear heater makes a difference, but since it sits way in the back and is as often as not blocked off by luggage or cargo it often borders on worthless. I have been thinking of trying to reinstall it in the spare battery compartment under the back of the drivers seat. It should not be blocked very often if installed there.
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make a point of not directly blocking the rear heater as it's a main source of cabin heat since it's recirculated air. It's also the primary source of heat for the kid to warm their feet and dry their snowboard boots after a trip to the mountains.

That would be an interesting mod to move that heater up front... it would be more like the auxiliary heat in the Eurovan, only the EV has it on the right side behind the front passenger seat. If I were stacking stuff in front of it I would probably just consider building a little grate that protrudes from the front of the heater a couple of inches. I think that would keep things far enough from the front of the heater to allow the warm air to flow out.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sure sounds like the front heater core has given up the ghost.

I'd leave any door's that were installed from the factory in that heater box, and replace what more than likely was wrong with the 20 plus year old Van's heater--the core.

There was no difference in a southern sold Vanagon and a northern one--unless is was specificly ordered different.

The heater boxes are all the same.

If your looking for heat to blow outa the rear heater, I'd think I'd make it a point to keep the area in front of the heater clear.

You wouldn't stack garbage over your home heater vents, and then wonder why the house was cold----would ya?
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Block off Plate in Front Heater Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
I have no idea what the block off plates in the front heater assembly are for. Are they in all water cooled Vanagon front heater boxes or just ones sold in more southerly climes? I just left mine out and haven't driven the van yet so I don't know what difference it will make. What have others done?

It has been particularly cold here in Iowa this year, and 3 of my Vanagon's blower motors have stopped. Must be some Circadian clock only Vanagons hear, so, I've done a couple of heater core/ blower motors this winter.
One thing I noted:
The 1982 Diesel heater box did NOT have that baffle.
I put a new core in that car in 1996 and oiled the blower fan, and DAMN!, it stopped already, only 12 years later. A few years ago, I noted that parts of the flow out of that core would almost burn my hands, but other parts felt noticeably colder.
I have checked the coolant temp going into the core, and found it to be nearly 190 degrees f when the car is under load. (This is a diesel, and left to idle, the temp goes way down). But mine hardly ever idles, I just shut it off.
I think that baffle is made to just redirect the air flow past more fins. Note that it has quite a few holes in it. Before I took it out, I'd drill more holes in it. I know that both my brown 87 and my 91 GL do have the plate and they both get really warm inside. I doubt that they reduce the total BTU's (heat) added to the car's interior.
This seems like it would a be a good project for a high school physics teacher to give his class. At least model the experiment, then predict the results. An engineer with engineering software could possibly predict the outcome of this, as well. that is how they do things now. but the experiment is only as good as the guy modeling it. It's a little hard for him to model the effects of fouling the fins with dirt after 10 years of hard use.
I guess new cars have filters on the cabin air, though!.
WRT the condensation on the windows in Alaska, guess what, that 's what happens when you recirculate. That air picks up the moisture on the floor and redeposits it on the windows. When using a total fresh air makeup, the air out of the heater is always super dry. I once had and old Toyota and it had a recirculate lever. I had to move it back and forth occasionally to keep the windows clear.
Oh! I've been pretty successful cleaning the inside of the cores with an HVAC product called Actibrite. It is a cleaner made up of surfactants and some mild acid. I drizzle a little into each hose opening, then fill up the core with hot water. the thing foams and foams and the foam brings out big black chunks of crud. I add water a few times, then repeat the process. It is pretty dramatic, the junk coming out! The places on the fins where I spill the cleaners looks like new aluminum. So, I think the Actibrite could probably eat right thru the core if left for a day or two.
When I get all done, I spray it down with soapy water, put my thumb over one tube and blow on the other, looking for leaks. Not really thorough, but it might find major leaks.
Well, I'm now roasting in 3 of my Vanagons now!
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda like the Toyota air-balance lever so you can dial in how much outside vs. recirculated air you want in the heater system. My Subaru just has a recirculate button that is disabled when the defrost is on. In my Camry I would run in recirculate mode until I started fogging the windows and then start adding fresh air. I think it heated up a little faster when I did that.

I do pretty much the same thing in the Vanagon, only the balance is between the front and rear heaters. The front fan goes on low with the flaps set to defrost while the rear heater (recirculated air) is on 1 or 2 while the van warms up. When the temp needle comes up a little I crank the rear heat until I start getting fog on the windshield and front door windows from the passengers breathing. Then I start really cranking up the front heater/defroster to clear the fog. By then I've got a rolling sauna... it gets quite toasty even with temperatures in the single digits. It's quite a pleasant change from being able to get the defrosters to work and a little bit of finger warmth in my old Splitty busses and air cooled bugs!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front heater core is clean, I actually swapped it with a known good one while I had it out, no change. I also tested both cores by alternately running hot and cold water through them, the flow rate was good and the temperature change across the face of the cores was even and quick. No I would not consider removing any doors or flaps from the heater box, but a plate that effectively blocks over 1/2 or more of the face area of the heater I would consider removing. No one has of yet postulated any good reason for it being in there except that Germans put it there, but of course those Germans may have been accountants and not engineers.

Removing the plate seems to have made no difference in the temperature of the air stream, but it does seem to have allowed additional air passage when the fan it on high.

As for unblocking the rear heater. No use owning the van if I can't use if for the purposes for which it was bought which was to haul stuff. If my transportation needs could have been met with a Jetta or other small car, I would have bought one.

I am actually going to go into and lube the front blower motor on my 91 either today or tomorrow. Maybe I will do some further experimenting with that vehicle's heat. It has run without its rear heater for at least 1/3 of its life do to a variety of leaks and burned out motors, but since it seldom leaves the warmer parts of the Pacific Northwest heat has never been much of an issue.

Terry Kay wrote:
It sure sounds like the front heater core has given up the ghost.

I'd leave any door's that were installed from the factory in that heater box, and replace what more than likely was wrong with the 20 plus year old Van's heater--the core.

There was no difference in a southern sold Vanagon and a northern one--unless is was specificly ordered different.

The heater boxes are all the same.

If your looking for heat to blow outa the rear heater, I'd think I'd make it a point to keep the area in front of the heater clear.

You wouldn't stack garbage over your home heater vents, and then wonder why the house was cold----would ya?
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<< No one has of yet postulated any good reason for it being in there except that Germans put it there, but of course those Germans may have been accountants and not engineers.>>

Hence the non postulation of why many things the Vangons lacks, need's, and the way it be---
It's just the way the goofy Krauts deciced to make the underpowered, overweight beast's--
Now you wanna know why nobody has questioned the heater box mechanisim's, and why what & how.

First locate the goof that buried the heater box sandwich tight under the dash--then you'd be geting somewhere--

<<Removing the plate seems to have made no difference in the temperature of the air stream, but it does seem to have allowed additional air passage when the fan it on high.>>

What about the other 2 speed's?

<<As for unblocking the rear heater. No use owning the van if I can't use if for the purposes for which it was bought which was to haul stuff. >>

Right.

This is a similar statement made by a guy that I ran into who owned a Vanagon that couldn't get his winsheild cleared up durring the winter.

The dash defroster vent's were covered with misc. whatnot--a bunch of crap.

When I told him that if he got the garbage off of the dash he just might be able to see where he was going--
" What the hell, If I can't keep what I need right now where I can get to it, I'll drive without the defroster's"

Real Smart Guy.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I tore into my 91 to change the heater motor, I decided to do a little test. As the 91 heater box has never been apart and is 100% factory I took it for a cruise down the road to see what temperature I would measure at the defroster duct.

Conditions:

Temperature valve fully open.
Defrost valve fully open, all others closed
Ambient 40°F
Engine at full operating temperature
Fan off
Needle style meat thermometer stuck into the left defrost vent.

I recorded the temperatures at both 60 & 40 MPH.

Results:

60 MPH - 130°F
40MPH - 144°F

I then repeated the test with my '84 with the plate removed, on the same identical section of highway and the same control settings.

60 MPH - 138°F
40 MPH - 148°F

As you can see the temperature of the air flow at the defrost duct was 8°F higher at 60 MPH for the '84 with the plate removed than on the stock 91, and 4°F higher at 40 MPH. I did not make any attempt to measure and record the inlet and outlet water temperatures, though that would have been very pertinent.

I later pulled down the heater box on the 91 and found the heater core to be clean and will reuse it. In studying the design of the heater box a little more I think VW was trying to even out the air flow density over the width of the heater core by adding the restrictor plate. I personally think that they overdid it and caused a large section of the core behind the plate to have minimal air flow. I think that I will drill a large number of additional holes in the restrictor plate for the 91 and see if I can increase the heat output.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is interesting data. The other variable you did not control is how plugged with scale the inside of the heater core is.
On old time American cars, the header tanks could be unsoldered and the tubes cleaned out. (I used to spend some time at my friend's radiator shop watching him do it.)
But now all this stuff is regarded to be throw away. I guess you could put a brand new core in both, then measure the results.
But I liked how you pretty much controlled the possible air flow differences created by the fan by simply not using it, but rather controlling the vehicle speed.
Well done.
See if you can get a uni- bit (electrician's step bit) and drill a series of big holes in the baffle.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: