Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Block off Plate in Front Heater
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Block off plate removal
Removed plate with good results, happy
23%
 23%  [ 7 ]
Removed plate with poor results, sad
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Didn't remove plate, sad
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Didn't remove plate, happy
60%
 60%  [ 18 ]
Plate wasn't there to start with
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 30

Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The temperature test is interesting, but it's too bad you couldn't get the water temperature flowing into the core. I assume your '84 is a 1.9L and the '91 is a 2.1L... I don't know how much that would affect the test. Different thermostats may affect the test too. Still, it's interesting to note, and when you get the '91 put back together you'll have some numbers to do a before-after comparison.

I have wondered if the baffle plate is partially to force more air to flow the long way through the heater core rather than passing straight through. If that's the case, the trade off may be higher output temperatures for less resistance to airflow. This is purely speculation on my part, though... as I stated a couple of days ago; I'm not qualified to figure out why VW included that baffle.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went out today to repeat my tests with a modified plate installed in the 91 Vanagon. The temperature at my house was the same 40°F, but the morning was clear and dry whereas when the first test was done it was overcast and quite humid. The change in humidity probably had some affect on the results, but the temperature changes for the 91 were impressive at any rate. I will try and repeat the test again. when we get another 40° overcast day. The exterior of 91 heat core was not particularly dirty, but cleaning it probably accounts for some of the change as well.

The other test conditions were as alike as I could make them.

The Feb 5 test had the stock factory block off plate installed in the '91 and in the Feb 28 test it was modified. The 84 was missing the plate in both test.

Test date----Feb 5------Feb 28

60 MPH------130°F------148°F
40MPH-------144°F------160°F

Results for 84 van with plate removed

60 MPH------138°F------144°F
40 MPH------148°F------150°f

As you can see the defroster outlet temperature went up markedly in the 91. The temperature also rose in the 84 between the two test, I assume that part of the change may have been due to the drier atmospheric conditions. I was really surprised that the defrost outlet temperatures for the 91 now exceeded the temperatures for the 84. I had expected the temps to end up about the same.

Here is a picture of the modified plate as installed in the 91 Van.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wildthings wrote:
Before I tore into my 91 to change the heater motor, I decided to do a little test. As the 91 heater box has never been apart and is 100% factory I took it for a cruise down the road to see what temperature I would measure at the defroster duct.

Conditions:

Temperature valve fully open.
Defrost valve fully open, all others closed
Ambient 40°F
Engine at full operating temperature
Fan off
Needle style meat thermometer stuck into the left defrost vent.

I recorded the temperatures at both 60 & 40 MPH.

Results:

60 MPH - 130°F
40MPH - 144°F

I then repeated the test with my '84 with the plate removed, on the same identical section of highway and the same control settings.

60 MPH - 138°F
40 MPH - 148°F

As you can see the temperature of the air flow at the defrost duct was 8°F higher at 60 MPH for the '84 with the plate removed than on the stock 91, and 4°F higher at 40 MPH. I did not make any attempt to measure and record the inlet and outlet water temperatures, though that would have been very pertinent.

I later pulled down the heater box on the 91 and found the heater core to be clean and will reuse it. In studying the design of the heater box a little more I think VW was trying to even out the air flow density over the width of the heater core by adding the restrictor plate. I personally think that they overdid it and caused a large section of the core behind the plate to have minimal air flow. I think that I will drill a large number of additional holes in the restrictor plate for the 91 and see if I can increase the heat output.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, are there any conclusions?
BTW, the relative humidity should not impact the results very much. Relative humidity makes warm air feel warmer and cold air feel colder to us, but only because it affects our own cooling systems. Its effect on the output temperature should be very small.
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

69doublecab wrote:
So, are there any conclusions?
BTW, the relative humidity should not impact the results very much. Relative humidity makes warm air feel warmer and cold air feel colder to us, but only because it affects our own cooling systems. Its effect on the output temperature should be very small.
Al

For myself an 18° rise at the defrosters on the 91 Vanagon speaks for itself. I am happy with it and if I ever get a chance to go into the heater box on the 84 again I will reinstall a similarly modified plate. Little chance I will do that soon though.

I really have no idea how a 50% change in the relative humidity affects the specific heat of 40°F air. I guess I could dig out the old college thermodynamics text, but I don't think I want to know the answer that bad. Crying or Very sad
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

For myself an 18° rise at the defrosters on the 91 Vanagon speaks for itself. I am happy with it and if I ever get a chance to go into the heater box on the 84 again I will reinstall a similarly modified plate. Little chance I will do that soon though.

I really have no idea how a 50% change in the relative humidity affects the specific heat of 40°F air. I guess I could dig out the old college thermodynamics text, but I don't think I want to know the answer that bad. Crying or Very sad

No kidding! and it would have to be coming with some increase in flow, as well, right? That is very good, then!
Al
Vanagons:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ak_runner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the difference between the `91's heater box and the `84's have any affect on this? I know that the design of the box changed around late `87 or `88 but I have not had the chance to examine the later style. Both of my vans are `87's and have the earlier style system.

Just curious as to anything that improves heater output as it gets cold here in the Winter. I am still working on my system that allows me to block off the outside air and use recirculating instead. So far the level of interior heat is better but I have yet to make a controlable door for the outside air intake. Right now it is just blocked off, come Spring I will install a vent door with cable control to allow me the choice of outside air, recirculated air, or a bit of both. I am also adding the late model rear side windows with vents. It was suggested to me that I look at the later style heater box as well but I have not found one to look at yet.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main difference (that I am aware of) between the earlier WBX and later WBX front heater boxes is where the ducts for the side dash vents connect. On earlier boxes the side vents get unheated air and on later boxes they get hot air. A very good improvement, IMHO.

I wish I had done some kind of before and after test on the 84 when I had the heater box apart and subsequently removed the restrictor plate. Info from such a test would have told me a lot. It would have also been nice to do some kind of air flow test as air flow is just as important as temperature to good heater performance.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Witless Joe was describing this earlier in this thread: the free-swinging "forced air flaps" (called that in Bentley) are supposed to be slammed shut when the fan on high speed builds backpressure before the heater core. You can hear them shut when you switch the fan on high, especially when the van is parked or moving slowly. When I had my airbox apart this year I deduced that the baffle plate is there to build more backpressure to cause the flaps to close. Either the engineers miscalculated, or perhaps they changed their sourcing on cores for one that was more open to airflow later, but one or the other I believe necessitated the addition of the baffle plate.

I have proof, by the way: I left the plate out of my airbox, and now when the fan is switched on high the flaps can't be heard shutting. Because I wouldn't know what effect this would have on heating before I reassembled my dash, I added a simple mechanism that allows me to close them manually.

One thing is clear, removing the baffle plate delivers both more and hotter air. The difference in my heat delivery is like night and day.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know, I had not thought of the back pressure angle. A spring or something would have made more sense. I will have to pay attention to if mine slam shut anymore or not, I haven't paid it any mind. I do assume they are closing, just not slamming shut hard.

WT

tencentlife wrote:
Witless Joe was describing this earlier in this thread: the free-swinging "forced air flaps" (called that in Bentley) are supposed to be slammed shut when the fan on high speed builds backpressure before the heater core. You can hear them shut when you switch the fan on high, especially when the van is parked or moving slowly. When I had my airbox apart this year I deduced that the baffle plate is there to build more backpressure to cause the flaps to close. Either the engineers miscalculated, or perhaps they changed their sourcing on cores for one that was more open to airflow later, but one or the other I believe necessitated the addition of the baffle plate.

I have proof, by the way: I left the plate out of my airbox, and now when the fan is switched on high the flaps can't be heard shutting. Because I wouldn't know what effect this would have on heating before I reassembled my dash, I added a simple mechanism that allows me to close them manually.

One thing is clear, removing the baffle plate delivers both more and hotter air. The difference in my heat delivery is like night and day.
VisPacem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
Ya know, I hate to think we are smarter than the VW engineers. VW does not put things in for no reason. That plate is there for some (probably really good and solid engineering) reason. OK, we rebuild the various sub assemblies for ease of use or simply to clean 20 years of abuse and funk out, but to remove some baffle or whatever with out completely understanding what it is there for is not right, at least in my book.

No offense meant but we ARE smarter that the VW engineer. We put Subaru, Audi, Diesel, Ford instead of that rusty , leaking, failing underpowered boat anchor in the back and what have you
We install decent lights, wheels and tires, decent brakes and shocks.
Instead they come up with the Eurovan and lately with a Dodge pile of junk.

Yes indeed we are

No Regrets (Nothing to do with Vanagons)
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell us what you really think, there, VP.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r.e.wing_fc3s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why does the pictogram recommend speed 2 for defrost instead of 3 or hi ?
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r.e.wing_fc3s wrote:

Cuz the german engineers know more than we do? Maybe on high the air will bounce off the windshield without leaving its heat on the glass?
Legends in their own minds.
Amazing how they could be so right in overall concepts, yet so stupid on the details.
Anybody up to transplanting a modern heat system into a Vanagon?
Vanagons:
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69doublecab wrote:

What do you have in mind? I thought the Vanagon heat with both front and rear heaters worked pretty well, but I drove air cooled vans for years so what do I know?

Pau
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69doublecab wrote:
r.e.wing_fc3s wrote:

Cuz the german engineers know more than we do? Maybe on high the air will bounce off the windshield without leaving its heat on the glass?
Legends in their own minds.
Amazing how they could be so right in overall concepts, yet so stupid on the details.

Germans just think different. When we first started installing European high speed ski lifts in this country years ago, the Germans were shocked to find that we intended to run them at full design speed. That kind of idea hadn't ever crossed their mind, as wear was exponential with speed. If the fan motor is going to fail faster on high than on another speed, the German will recommend the lower speed even though it won't get the job done.

That said, if you really had a large heating system, you can damage the windshield and even harm the wipers if you crank it up fully. This isn't likely to be a problem on a Vanagon unless you have your defroster on full in the middle of summer though.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious as to those who pulled the plate and have better results. Because it seems to me that no one would pull the box just for this plate - that is the heater core, flaps, or other stuff would have been done at the same time and those could have made a huge difference.

For instance, I changed out my heater core and fan, but I still need a new fan switch. At speed, even with NO fan, the heating is much improved over the old system Surprised . Not trying to pick a fight, not saying don't pull the plate but no one has data on a van where the only change was pulling the plate. I'm still not 100% sure what that plate is for. I like 10-cents idea for the manual control on the flaps after puling the plate. Applause

John
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are welcome to do such a test yourself. For me I am satisfied I can get more air flow and heat when the plate is removed and/or drilled. I see no advantage is having a heater box that can slam the door shut hard. Slamming the door hard would indicate that there is additional back pressure against the fan and as such that there is going to be less flow. If the flap is only partially close it will hurt nothing. If the air from the air stream is at a high enough pressure to hold the door open then it will just augment the flow through the core, not decrease it. I can't visualize any circumstance even with the vehicle stopped where the flow through the heater core would be lessened by the removal of the baffle plate.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
You are welcome to do such a test yourself.

LOL! I hope to not have to pull that thing out and re-build it ever again! Man that was a time consuming job made terrible by the fact that my heater box had been apart and had been glued together. Evil or Very Mad I thought I had it made when I saw the metal clips - little did I know. (Well, the Bentley does say to assemble with sealing compound).

But if I go into it again, I'll pull the plate but I'm hoping that's never required again! I did new flapper seals, core, fan and newer resistor.

Happy trails,
John
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volksaholic wrote:
69doublecab wrote:

What do you have in mind? I thought the Vanagon heat with both front and rear heaters worked pretty well, but I drove air cooled vans for years so what do I know?

Pau

Something that would actually have the evaporator in it and completely close off during the summer on recirculate mode. I believe one cannot shut off outside air with the existing set u p.
Al
Vanagons:
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

69doublecab wrote:
Volksaholic wrote:
What do you have in mind? I thought the Vanagon heat with both front and rear heaters worked pretty well

Something that would actually have the evaporator in it and completely close off during the summer on recirculate mode. I believe one cannot shut off outside air with the existing set u p.
Al

Yeah... you're right. I can't shut off the vent in the Summer... although if I close all the windows to run the A/C it seems to be sealed well enough that I don't get much outside air coming in.

I know the campers have trouble getting the cold air forward past the pop-top cut-out. One thing I like about the evaporator being in the back of my Vanagon is that it's HUGE compared to a lot of vehicles. I can really chill down the van even when the temperatures are 100º out.

Paul
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: