Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

really annoying problem with the front door.
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
allsierra123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: really annoying problem with the front door. Reply with quote

Ok I have searched this topic and come up with nothing. The passenger side front door on my van has to be slammed really hard to get it to latch. The driver door just barely swing it and it latches. Now the passenger door has been replaced at one point. Is there an adjustment he may have gotten wrong? If so where would I find said adjusters?
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Bad door Reply with quote

Mine is the same way. Hinge plate on door is cracked. Look around the hinge for cracks in the metal,
Yours may be adjustable with a striker plate or door hinge bolts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
90Doka_Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happened to me after i got my van painted. (The painters removed the doors) The striker plate (The plate attached to the frame, not the door) can be loosened by the two screws and moved back and forth. This adjusts how far the door sticks out upon shutting and therefore how much force is required to slam the door shut. The bentley does a pretty good job at describing how the door should be positioned when its shut so the proper adjustments are made. Also, the two hinges towards the front of the car can be repositioned back and forth by loosening the bolts for further adjustment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bridgetroll13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar symptoms, fussed with the strike plate adjustment but came to the realization that the innards of the latch mechanism had a broken spring (it got to where it would just let go and swing open while driving; most exciting). A junkyard item solved the problem for me. Someday I'll successfully dissect the offending item.

Erik D.

'82 diesel Westy, 1.9td AAZ, AAP 5 spd
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
STEPHENLAY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had this same problem since I bought the van in 2000. I tried to adjust it then but it do not help.

I have been going through the van as of late and so yesterday I spent a while trying to get it better but to no avail...

I adjusted the striker plate and played with up down in out left right with the 4 bolts holding the door but only got it as good as it was and that is a slam. It may be bent or repaired or something but I can't really see any real sign of this.

I will take a look at the manual.

Did you get yours to work any better?
hentairobsan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bridgetroll13 wrote:
I had similar symptoms, fussed with the strike plate adjustment but came to the realization that the innards of the latch mechanism had a broken spring (it got to where it would just let go and swing open while driving; most exciting). A junkyard item solved the problem for me. Someday I'll successfully dissect the offending item.

Erik D.

'82 diesel Westy, 1.9td AAZ, AAP 5 spd

Hey there this may be really late (2 yrs later) but this is for future reference for anyone having this trouble with the push back spring inside the door lock. Undo the 2 big bolts and the little one holdin the door handle on to the outside of the door. Pull off the locking mechanism. There is a spring that is causing all the trouble that is in the half hidden spot just below and behind the exposed spring in the door lock. Pretty hard to get to with big fingers. Needle nose help. Rip that broken or softened spring outta that slot. Open up 2 ball point pens. Combine the 2 pen springs together, (overlapping so they become one stronger spring) not end to end. Insert into the slot.......$2 fix......has lasted 7 yrs already......ive tried with just one spring and it doesnt last long at all....this is the best fix while campin in the middle of nowhere.....keep some ballpoint pens on hand in your toolbox....ciao
AKWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first got my van you had to slam the front doors to get them to double click or shut all the way. The problem was that the mechanism on the door was worn after many years of use. I took some electrical tape and put two wraps around the strike plate ( mounted to the jamb) and now the doors shut with ease. The worn mechanism just needs more material to close around to get that second latch. Year and a half later and still going strong. No need to re tape yet.

Also note that your doors shut much easier with a window cracked. Compressing a van full of air makes it harder to shut your door. My wife still slams the door when other doors are open. I try to teach here there are two different door shutting techniques. One firm when all doors and windows are shut and one soft when another door is open or window cracked. She still doesn't get it. Sometimes I'm not sure why I try.
215/70-16's

www.CatchTheKraken.com

"Never go to Alaska as a young man because you'll never be satisfied with any other place as long as you live." -John Muir
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed on my 86 Westy that if you close the final door from fully open with all lids, windows and doors closed that it does not latch.

Open it two inches, then close firmly..... No problem! No huge volune of air inside.

As mentioned, It's a tight box that you are compressing air into by closing the door.

Close door accordingly.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: