Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Yeah, why build a new Bus/Van... VW kills the successor
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lanval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:11 am    Post subject: Yeah, why build a new Bus/Van... VW kills the successor Reply with quote

Saw this today, while avoiding dissertation reading. One wonders about the "don't add up" bit. If a 1984 Westy is selling for $14K, and a GoWesty for $80K, how do they figure there isn't a market?

Worked for the bug, didn't it Confused

Silly VW, Chryslers are for, well, Chrysler.

Here's the link:

http://blogs.automotive.com/6227669/opinion/volksw...index.html
nathan@el
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good god, A rebadged Dodge Caravan won out over this? Hmmm, lets take a boring, uninspiring, unreliable vehicle and rebadge it as a Volkswagen. That's some smart thinking there. Sounds like a totally good plan to save VW from declining sales. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Raggamuffin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just threw-up. Maybe they'll rebadge my puke and call it a Ghia... Eh?
the caveman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the main reasons i left vw after 21 years was because of their bullshit marketing department thinking they knew what the public wanted. look at the corrado. The genuises figured that the only way to sell it was fill it every lux item and gear it so tall that it was a pig off the line, but be able to cruise at 140 mph. if they would have offered a stripper and geared it lower they could sold 3 times as many. jump to present day. here in canada we now have the A4 golf and jetta being sold as the city versions great- inexpensive, lots of parts available etc, but why no diesels??? i would have bought one if they offered.
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW12Step wrote:
I just threw-up. Maybe they'll rebadge my puke and call it a Ghia... Eh?

Shame on you Rolling Eyes #Bad Talk Yellow Ghia Very Happy Very Happy

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that its going to be a crappy van, but the reasoning is simple they save tens of millions on development by badge engineering the Town & Country. So that they can make a profit selling fewer units. VW is the king of platform sharing across their different brands (Audi, Seat, Skoda), and have in the past rebadged cars and trucks from other manufacturers, they are also planning to sell toyota (HiLux) pickups for the South African, and Austrilian markets
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DWC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look on the bright side.....
At least it's not a Pontiac Trans Sport or a Ford Windstar.
Ewwww

Also looks like our Vanagons will go up even more in value since they are Real VW's.

Thanks VW, Mo Power to ya!
59 Panel van
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U probably have seen Chryslers "NEW" van options=they have just INVENTED A "TABLE!!! & a seat that will face to the rear!!!!! Amazing,them thar folk dont get out much i guess.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Heretic shield]

The wife simply stepped up and wrote a check for a new base model 2008 T&C van. It is OK. In fact, it is not bad for a $19K van. We got NO extras with it other than purchasing an extended warranty. (they wanted $2K for a DVD system - nuts to them!) So about $22K lighter now, we have another new car. The CPA says it is a good thing for the business. She likes it. The kids think it is OK (They still LOVE the Westy and the red NB TDI, though, too.) I am underwhelmed, but it is "hers" and not mine. But, guess what she drove to LA today? Our Jetta TDI which we bought new about 5 years ago.

[/Heretic shield]

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
D Clymer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
[Heretic shield]

The wife simply stepped up and wrote a check for a new base model 2008 T&C van. It is OK. In fact, it is not bad for a $19K van. We got NO extras with it other than purchasing an extended warranty. (they wanted $2K for a DVD system - nuts to them!) So about $22K lighter now, we have another new car. The CPA says it is a good thing for the business. She likes it. The kids think it is OK (They still LOVE the Westy and the red NB TDI, though, too.) I am underwhelmed, but it is "hers" and not mine. But, guess what she drove to LA today? Our Jetta TDI which we bought new about 5 years ago.

[/Heretic shield]

Walt! You should have waited for the VW badged version. I've seen a blurry cell phone camera picture of a photo shared with dealers. It's actually a very good looking van.

Well, I guess since the Chrysler is a platform mate to the VW you aren't really a heretic.
Very Happy
David
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

morymob wrote:
U probably have seen Chryslers "NEW" van options=they have just INVENTED A "TABLE!!! & a seat that will face to the rear!!!!! Amazing,them thar folk dont get out much i guess.

The version with the table costs $42K!!!!!!!!!

I am fine with our "Stow-N-Go" seating model. I can buy a lot of tables for the extra 20+Gs they want for the version with the table installed. Again, "nuts to them!"

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D Clymer wrote:
r39o wrote:
[Heretic shield]

[/Heretic shield]

Walt! You should have waited for the VW badged version. I've seen a blurry cell phone camera picture of a photo shared with dealers. It's actually a very good looking van.

Well, I guess since the Chrysler is a platform mate to the VW you aren't really a heretic.
Very Happy
David

It has some Mercedes in it, like the key, so it can not be too bad. As long as it does not start to break. The engine feels like it is missing every now and then. Could be the emissions thing they have to comply with or something. It gets crappy mileage, maybe it will get better as it breaks in. Why will they not build them to get better economy? The Peak Oil Crisis is on the horizon and, yet, still the newest cars get such crappy mileage. The Westy seems to do better than this new van. Sigh.... Wish it were a diesel.

My wife just could not wait. My NB seems to have turbo issues, even though it got a rebuilt turbo 15K miles ago. So I drove the kids to school in the Westy. She has this odd idea the Westy is not safe enough. So she insisted I drove the Jetta she usually drives. Next thing I know she buys this van. "Oh well."

I will put VW emblems on when I can. Just like you can put Mercedes emblems (back) on a Sprinter van. It will make me feel better with VW emblems. Ahhhh.....yes, the wonders of "badge tuning."

Lanval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walt,

Don't feel too bad. The wife wanted a Japanese mini-van, so we bought a mid 90's Mazda MPV for $3K. I've actually grown to like it.

Has 150 horsepower, so gas mileage isn't too ridiculous, and the middle seat comes out. I've actually been thinking the next time I see a vanagon table I'm gonna grab it and install it into the Mazda.

We took it to Oregon with the kid, and it was pretty darn nice. Quiet, speedy, comfortable. I'm planning on taking the vanagon next year, but we'll see. There's a lot to be said for being able to cruise at 85 up the San Jaquin Valley...

The Westy / Vanagon has a great place, but it's not the end of the line. My frustration with the VW approach, is that they've already done their homework, and basically created the minivan as an idea ~ one that had a lot of variation, and remains popular years after the fact. But rather than put that knowledge to use in building a newer, reliable Vanagon that could continue the legacy, and reach out to the largish customer base who support VW as an idea as well as a company, they hitch themselves to Chrysler. It's axiomatic that when you tie yourself to another entity, you tie yourself to that entity's limitations ~ and given the lack of inspired design in Chryler products, I just didn't see that move as the right one. I suspect that VW could have done it much better themselves ~

As for market and sales, I disagree. I wasn't always an academic, and I speak from experience when I say that it's rare that a well-designed product which expands a current and known market fails, as compared to a lesser designed product that violates certain intellectual/aesthetic/pragmatic expectations of the market. The Chrysler choice seems to do all of these at once.

Meh ~ I'll wait for a better choice ~ I keep hoping they'll make a bigger Honda Element that I can transplant my Westy interior into... Twisted Evil

Best,

Lanval
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Meh ~ I'll wait for a better choice ~ I keep hoping they'll make a bigger Honda Element that I can transplant my Westy interior into...

funny you should mention that
[img]http://www.autoblog.com/photos/ursa-minor-ecamper-1/621540/[/img]
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
istewart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morymob wrote:

I'll go you one better than that, and say that if they had never hooked up with VW, they never would've come up with it on their own. And the concept is hampered by the fact that the Caravan interior is and always has been noticeably more cramped than the Vanagon. Needless to say, I don't have much respect for Chrysler's van engineers, or everybody else who started building vans on sedan platforms because it was cheaper.

On the other hand, VW's up! concept for replacing the Lupo is rear-engined, so that gives me some hope. Perhaps around the middle of next decade we'll start to hear some rumblings about a proper replacement for the Vanagon. The rear-engined design is too logical to lie fallow forever.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: