Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Itinerant Air-Cooled - Amskeptic - [email protected]
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: Amskeptic
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: March 24, 2024
xyzzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled - Amskeptic - [email protected] Reply with quote

Very inexperienced mechanically, relatively new bus owner. My first appoint with Colin.

To sum it up precisely, if you own a VW Bus, you're doing yourself a disservice by not booking an appointment with Colin. Before his visit I knew very little outside of truly rudimentary maintenance -- think oil and filter changes.

Now, less than two weeks later, I not only feel confident in setting the points, adjusting the timing, doing valve adjustments, but more importantly being able to diagnose problems!

This experience will be a game changer in bus ownership. You deserve it, and more importantly, your bus deserves it.
pdlrofdrms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled - Amskeptic - [email protected] Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

7 years ago I was in a bad car accident in my 1967 bug. I have owned VW Bugs since I was able to drive. I learned how to drive in a VW.

My car was totaled and I felt maybe this is a good time to get a Toyota. Well I fell upon a 1978 Westfalia. It was a mess.

I had never owned a bus before that. I was told the motor was "new" barely any miles on it. I thought great. I can do the rest.

Well the motor was not " new " and who knows how many miles were on it.
So I bit the bullet and pulled the motor.

This was so out of my wheel house. I had no idea what I was doing. I combed thread after thread .
I watched videos and read books.

And someone on a thread posted " Sounds like you need to hire Colin"

He was like this mysterious figure. I mean I live in Northern California how am I suppose to hire some guy named Colin?

What the heck...there is a guy that travels from home to home helping vw owners restore their busses. He will teach you!? What!? I am so in.

I have now had 5 visits with Colin I think.
By the time Colin and I met I had the engine rebuilt and back in the car.

First you should be prepared to feel very inferior when he drives up. Doesn't matter what bus he is driving its always shiny and looks brand new.
It is inspiration on wheels and its your first introduction to the skill set you are about to share.

I am not even going to discuss cost. Because its seriously the best investment you can make for your bus and will save you hundreds in waste figuring it out yourself.

But I digress. Let me tell you about meeting number 1.
He says...so are you hiring me to do the work or are you wanting to learn.

Do you want the red pill or the blue pill.

LEARN!
I want to learn.

Get ready because you will learn how to set points, do valve adjustments, why and how often you should replace valve gasket covers. You will learn lessons that are both valuable to life and to your bus.

He said and I paraphrase " Jennifer your bus is like a checking account, if you want it to keep giving back you have to keep putting in, Everytime you drive your bus you are withdrawing from it. To keep it alive you must do things like oil your door hinges, change your oil, check your hoses, look at your window gaskets..."
He asks you to be present.

As you become more of a regular and he sees your skill set or maybe like me my willingness to try and possibly fail your visits get more deep.

The jobs are more advanced. I have done things I never thought I could do owning a VW bus and I certainly look forward to Colins visits because I accomplish repairs I just didn't have the skill or the knowledge to get it done in a reasonable amount of time.

But the most priceless gift from each of Colins visit isnt just tackling a nagging stress, or getting ease of mind over that weird noise that's been making you nervous.

Or learning how to change CV boots, or front torch bar, or messing with the AFM. Learning how to read electrical diagrams.

Its the personal joy from doing a job, its the inspiration to tackle things when hes not around, its seeing your bus through the eyes of someone like you. Someone that can see past the rust and know its worthy of all the love.

Someone like you that is crazy in love with VWs.

Is there anything bad I can say about Colins visits?
No not really.

I think he is straight forward and can be blunt. So be ready for honest dialog.

Do you have a VW? Are you wanting to learn or hang out with somone that Loves your car as much as you do?

Hire Colin. Its the best investment you can ever make. I am so scared of the day Colin retires. I am soaking it all in like a sponge because someday I will have to be on my own.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled - Amskeptic - [email protected] Reply with quote

Just had my 5th or 6th appointment - lost count - with Colin and it's benefits keep coming every year. This year we tackled my brake system, from the master cylinder and brake booster to the pads. He helped me troubleshoot a couple uncertain and unpleasant sounds coming from my steering and suspension, not to mention all the little tidbits of knowledge he drops along the way.

I'm no giant in the world of ACVW repair, but I do know enough to know that the less you know about your VW, the more you need a visit from Colin. Judging from the forums, that's the vast majority of us.

See you next year, Colin!

Oscar: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, 2.0L FI, Manual Transaxle
whc03grady
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled - Amskeptic - [email protected] Reply with quote

The care and keeping of an air-cooled Volkswagen has now become a continuous battle against a quality-indifferent aftermarket and the Second Law of Thermodynamics. Unless you are made of money or are a retired factory-trained VW mechanic, you likely can't do it alone. I advise you spend the equivalent of about 14 tanks of gas and a day on an appointment with Amskeptic. In him you will find a knowledgeable helping hand, a dogged troubleshooter, and a rightfully-angry commiserant (someone with which to commiserate).
I can safely say that without Amskeptic's help, my cars wouldn't be on the road. I am happy to answer any questions via pm or email to [email protected].
blankmange wrote:
The Bentley assumes that the car is complete.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
exoticdvm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled - Amskeptic - [email protected] Reply with quote

A meet-up with the legendary Colin of Itinerant Air-cooled has been an almost-annual event for me since 2009. We’ve put over 50,000 miles on our 1978 VW Bus over the past 10 years, including two epic Florida-to-Alaska-and-back road trips (one is currently in progress as of July 2018). The long-term survival and safety of our Westy “Valentina”, who we practically consider a member of our family, would not have been possible without Colin’s assistance. Our Bus was even the maid of honor at our wedding last week! “Amskeptic” (his online screen name) has rendered invaluable services as well as continuing education on our air-cooled VW that have kept it on the road in the best shape possible. His philosophy of training YOU to care for, repair, and maintain your VW, rather than simply doing the work for you, really works. Moreover, it’s more affordable and an infinitely better value than bringing your bus to an auto shop. Colin has taken extended time to troubleshoot mechanical problems with us over the phone while traveling and has gone above and beyond to assist with our vehicle. We appreciate the fact that he uses a preventative approach to fend off potential mechanical problems before they arise, rather than waiting for a critical failure. In 2008 when I first became a VW Bus owner, I knew absolutely nothing about auto mechanics…. zero, zilch, nada. With Colin’s advice over the past decade, I’m now here in the middle of Alaska having driven 10,000 miles from Florida — and am doing my own valve adjustments, oil changes, tire rotations, changing ignition points, checking timing and dwell, and troubleshooting any mechanical issue that comes our way. We have such a heightened sense of security and confidence that we know how to tackle basic VW problems — and if something disastrous happens, Colin will be available for advice. It’s too long to list all the things he has helped us with, but I know that without his visits over the years, we wouldn’t be driving this vehicle across the country.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GoBigEmma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled - Amskeptic - [email protected] Reply with quote

This was my second visit from Colin and as always working with him is absolutely amazing! There is no better healer for Big Emma (my bus) than a visit from him!

While he was here this time around we worked on a long list of activities, including: timing; brake bleeding; removing, draining, and reinstalling our turns-out busted brake booster; adjusting our cab doors; fixing the horn; tightening our grub screw; attempting to adjust our hatch closing mechanism; and working to subdue an oil leak (How the heck did we fit all of this into one single day???)

The best part of the visit is that I am now busy driving Big Emma around town with more confidence than since before getting caught in the flood last October. Getting that kind of confidence in my beloved bus back is just priceless.

On the one hand, I am sad that we will hopefully not be around next year to enjoy a subsequent Colin-visit because we will be back full-time on the road far south of the US of A. On the other hand, I am unendingly thankful that Colin could help us get there! THANK YOU!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled - Amskeptic - [email protected] Reply with quote

1st visit from Collin, and it was the best money I have spent on the bus. I wanted to be able to maintain this 73 bus of mine I have had for 5 years, as the people who work on these are slowly (or quickly!) going away. The day did not go as planned (my nice list of things that would be nice to do) because as we ticked off the routine maintain list, things just kept throwing curves. There were way too many deffered maintenance and poorly done things we kept running into. Echlin points that did not fit, a condenser that had a square plastic housing for a round hole, a valve gate that had let go its nuts and washers(omg!) they turned up, well, a washer may ruin my day someday, but not today. A Bowden tube clamp that had broken off the transaxle.

overall, there were a lot of fires to put out, and Collin said too many times, "I cant believe this got you home!"
The day ran out way too soon, and so glad i had a spare condenser, points, shift cage, and mad fab skills to get my bowden retain clamp back to something funtional. I will have him back next year, if he consents to return. I dont blame him if he doesnot, but i think if i knock off the list of to do's he left me with, he will hapily return. THANK YOU Collin!!!
1FUNBUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled - Amskeptic - [email protected] Reply with quote

This was my first visit from Colin. He exceeded my expectations which are quite high. I needed some serious troubleshooting help and a visit from the expert was the only way to go. Advice on the internet is mostly free, and you mostly get what you pay for. I scheduled Colin for a whole day and it is by far the best money I've spent on my Bus.

71 Beetle, 1776, dual Kadrons
77 Westy, Camper Special 2.0 F.I.
appetite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled - Amskeptic - [email protected] Reply with quote

I've lost track, but this is either my 12th or 13th IAC visit. Each year, my bus gets more reliable and I get more confident in my own abilities to troubleshoot and maintain my bus. I'm grateful for Colin's patience and detailed instructions when I've been at an impasse. These resources alone are worth the price of admission.

Clearly, Colin is one of the most knowledgeable and experienced ACVW mechanics in the country. I hope that as he travels the country sharing his expertise that his efforts will translate into the creation of an army of VW lovers for years to come.
Silverboot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled - Amskeptic - [email protected] Reply with quote

I just finished up my 3rd IAC visit with Colin, and once again I amazed at how knowledgeable the man is.

This visit was to address my many electrical gremlins. He helped me sort through and fix them, but more importantly he TAUGHT me how to sort through and fix any future electrical issues.

If you own a VW, you should absolutely book an appointment with Colin.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kit Whistler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled - Amskeptic - [email protected] Reply with quote

Last week, my partner JR and I had the serendipitous honor of being mentored through an emergency upper engine rebuild by none other than Colin (aka AMSkeptic) of Itinerant Air-cooled. Under his watchful eye, we disassembled, then reassembled our bus Sunshine’s motor, which had a recessed valve.

JR and I live fulltime in our bus, on the road, and have been doing so for 7 years. That being said, we had never before tackled a job of this magnitude. Honestly, we would’ve been a little daunted going at it alone. All of our previous issues had been relatively minor, so having the Itinerant Aircooled Mechanic there made this happen.

And, it’s incredible—what were the chances that we’d need a head replacement at the exact moment that the legendary Colin Kellogg, wandering VW master would be heading to tropical southern Florida? It was like a unicorn arriving onto the beaches of Miami. I couldn’t believe we were there. And yet we were, pulling the engine, rebuilding the engine, and learning a ton.

We did all of this in a 3-day manic marathon, though I’m convinced that had it only been my partner and I over in brokedown palace, we’d still be wading through our Bentley manual like the clowns we are. Colin was the VW guru to our fumbling Karate Kid, and we learned so much about our engine working with him.

We were lucky Colin decided to swing by and work with us last minute when we were broken down and stranded in Miami, and then again in Crystal River (complicated story here) because no joke, he’s one of the most committed VW guys I’ve ever met. He’s owned ‘em since he was a kid and knows capital E Everything about these aircooled machines. As a road warrior, Colin spends his summers rambling round, making house calls for these old timers in his pristine orange Westy. His mission is to keep these buses running the way they were intended, to keep em out on the road where they belong, and to empower us, VW lovers of the USA, to do the work ourselves. You can and should get lined up on Colin’s itinerary...and not wait around to break down, like we did!

If there’s one thing Colin cares about, it’s quality (EVERYTHING is important, right Colin?), and he will not let you settle for substandard parts. In our case, he arrived in Miami with beautiful new heads machined by artist Len Hoffman. At a moment’s notice! We were blown away by this and loved his approach: give your Dub the best, and it’ll return the favor.

And, side bar for you internet lurkers, Colin posts detailed, accurate, and beautifully illustrated diagrams and tutorials and parts advice on his website www.itinerant-air-cooled.com too. I truly hope to see them published in book form someday, but until then we should all take advantage of the info over there.

If you want to learn about your bus, if you want it to run optimally, if you believe that metaphysical love and commitment are a critical component of the mechanical equation, you’ve got to work with Colin. He’s one of those rare souls who shows up 100%, who gives his whole heart to what he does. He has indeed committed his mind and passion and creativity to these beautiful vehicles, and without him, Sunshine, my home, my bus, everything I own in the whole world, wouldn’t be on the road, headed out to camp again tonight. Thanks to Colin’s love, care, and expertise, she’s running better than she has in years, and I feel so much more confident in carrying forward with my nonstop travels across the USA. I understand so much more about my engine!

Thank you, Colin, for sharing your passion and knowledge and your beautiful mind with us. We love you and so does Sunshine. She is going to live forever, cuz of you, and I’m sure that same thing can be said about hundreds of other VDubs you’ve touched across your freewheeling career. The VW world is richer because of you!

If you guys are interested, you can read all of the details about our two back-to-back and unexpected sessions with Colin, written by the man, the myth, the legend himself, check out the links below. Colin writes up all of his travels and visits over on his site, and it’s some damn good storytellin’. Happy Reading. And—do yourself a favor and spend a day or two or five with Colin. Your beloved bus will thank you.

Our Miami Upper Engine Rebuild
https://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=13769

Crystal River Acrobatic Diagnostics
https://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=13775
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled - Amskeptic - [email protected] Reply with quote

I purchased my bus April of 2018 and it had sat for 8-10 years. I have slowly brought it back to life and have put a total of 325 miles on it before Colin arrived. I have owned bugs, a bus, and a Fastback... but... I have not had an ACVW in 20 years. Not to mention ACVW's were plentiful and hacks/molestation to them were socially acceptable back then! Well, at least where I grew up in the salty North East.

I was at a stopping point and really needed an expert to look things over. I was unsure what was "normal" and how things should feel - such as power, fuel mixture, brakes and shifting. A good running and reliable bus is important to me so I prefer to have things as stock as could be with some exceptions of course. Maybe I'm just getting older?

Colin arrived and started schooling me before I could get the coffee to effectively circulate throughout my nervous system. Once class was released to recess, we went to play in the garage. I've performed a hundred valve adjustments on engines, but man... Colin has a delicate art to it that I believe is extremely important to preserve and prevent catastrophes such as the dreaded recessed valve us type V owners wake up with night terrors over. I had no idea My bus was running too rich. Colin had that bus dialed in so well that my higher RPMs were no longer falling off and I now have a stronger, smoother and more consistent pull. My shifer was complete crap even after all of the repairs I made. I attempted to convince Colin I made it much better than what it was but all I could do is shake my head after seeing how it's supposed to feel. Although it shifts much better after Colin's adjustments, we (he) concluded it's time for a hockey stick ball. It's ok folks! now I know!

My father told me when I was young "You drive VW's with love." After Colin's visit, I learned it's more like "tough love." there is a time and place for exploitation, and tenderness.

Although the bus ran good before, it runs great now. I cannot wait to jump in and finally be able to drive it this summer! Hands down best money I've spent on the bus.

Thank you Colin.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled - Amskeptic - [email protected] Reply with quote

I’m a fan of Colin. I’ve had him over several times. He’s an excellent teacher. Even to a bad pupil like me Embarassed I’m no mechanic, it’s not in my DNA. But I can do some stuff I never thought I’d do because of him. Believe me, you will get your money’s worth. There are a lot of experienced ACVW owners that know their way around these cars. Yet they still hire him to freshen up their skills. Noodle around this link to learn more.

https://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?t=13764

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Eskimotom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled - Amskeptic - [email protected] Reply with quote

Highly Recommended!

I've only had 2 visits, however both were highly productive.

The value received greatly exceeds the price. I enjoy his company, his perspective and his depth of knowledge.

It's truly an educational and therapeutic experience, learning the hows and whys and having a knowledgeable guide to help demystify the work. Create a closer connection to your air-cooled vehicle and check out his site to get on the calendar.

Learn more here: https://itinerant-air-cooled.com

Another Happy Camper!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
equinox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled - Amskeptic - [email protected] Reply with quote

Just ran across this thread by accident and glad I did. Great article!

Got my bus and after a short spell, had issues after issue with it for years going into alleged "experts" and was suggested to have Collin take a look at it.

After bulking one year, then having other attempt it again, only to have another season that needed TLC, I hit Collin up.

We arranged for the hook up and to make a long story short...he did his thing...i learned a lot and have not have had one issue since (and that was a couple years ago)!

Collin = best money spent and to learn and get your bus in TIP TOP shape! HIGHLY RECOMMEND Smile
mccandmore
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled - Amskeptic - [email protected] Reply with quote

My 1974 Westy and I wrapped up our fourth visit with Colin last week. The first three visits were his standard one day sessions. Those visits are always highly productive and informative and they are great confidence boosters. Colin has a wealth of knowledge and is an effective and patient teacher. I highly recommend spending a day with Colin if you have a chance.

The most recent visit was a much more intensive project. I'd had new P&Cs and new heads installed on the engine in 2021 by a local air cooled mechanic after I dropped a valve seat. The engine ran extremely hot after that and we ultimately concluded that the compression was way too high (165 psi all the way around). Colin agreed to come to my house and work with me to pull the heads and figure out what was going on. He quickly determined that (along with a number of other sloppy issues) the local builder had not used base shims leaving a deck height of nearly zero.

As we removed the engine tins and tore down the top end, Colin refused to skip over anything else that he saw in the engine bay that needed attention. We ended up with a 6 day project and the bus has a MUCH happier and healthier engine as a result. (A more robust description and photos of the project are on the IAC Facebook page). Colin's attention to detail far exceeds anything I've seen from other mechanics and he was deeply invested in making this project a success.

I am incredibly appreciative of Colin (and others like him who share their knowledge and help the rest of us to maintain/preserve these vehicles) and I've already asked to be included on his itinerary next year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brightcourse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled - Amskeptic - [email protected] Reply with quote

I can't say enough about Colin. The dedication he has for VW's and his clients is unbelievable. This Spring I received a new turn key engine. I have had nothing but problems with it. Colin has worked with me every step of the way, even calling unprompted to ask how the engine was performing and making return visits just to be sure that the engine is indeed flawed.

As an idiot mechanic I have slowly begun to understand the workings of my engine. I would of never gotten even as far as I have without working hands on with Colin. His patience, humor and expertise makes for a perfect teacher.

If you have a VW and want to learn how to make it live forever, do not miss an opportunity to work with Colin. No matter how much or how little you know about these vehicles it is more than worth your time.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: