Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Itinerant Air-Cooled - Amskeptic - [email protected]
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: Amskeptic
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: March 24, 2024
Zeen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colin continues to provide great value, highly recommended.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to echo what many of these posts have said- a truly worthy expenditure for those who want their precious VW to last. My appointment gave me the direction to persure new-car-like suspension, and instilled the confidence in me to build my first engine. I now have a much better understanding of every part of my bus that we talked about. The best part was the intellectual and physical capacity that our appointment ran at. It was both a needed excersize for me, and an exponential growth for my capacity as a responsible VW owner.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pickledBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my first visit from colin about a month ago and it was a great experience. The initial part of the visit is an intense overview of the VW engine, how it works and specifics about what your will be working on during the day. During the overview Colin is drawing diagrams to go along with the explanations that are easily good enough to be used as technical diagrams in a manual.

The rest of the visit was a whirlwind of activity punctuated by lighthearted banter that made the day fly by. By the end we had replaced and repacked all four CV joint boots, the transmission drive seals, adjusted the brakes, replaced push rod tube seals, adjusted the AFM box. I will definitely be booking Colin in the future, it is money very well spent.
Bercilak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth noting that Colin is a maniac with the water-cooled vanagons also.

I bought an 85 that had been sitting for years in the sunny environs of a San Diego pasture about a month before Colin showed up to work on my air-cooled 82. When Colin saw the new van, he asked me if it ran. I guffawed, saying something like, "Dude! It's been sitting for 7 years. Of course not."

In true Colin fashion, he merely looked at me, one eyebrow cocked, and asked, "How do you know."

Never underestimate a master confronted with a challenge. 30 minutes later, with a bit of new gas, we were mobile. Unbelievable.

If he were merely a master craftsman, that alone would make his visits worthwhile. He is also an unparalleled teacher, and an erudite and engaging conversationalist.

In my life of nearly 50 years, I have rarely spent money so well, nor been satisfied with my purchase.
Hobug Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had my second visit from Colin and once again it was money well spent. My bus is running much happier after his visit. He doesn't do the work for you (he does assist), but rather, he teaches you the how and why to keep your bus on the road.

Thanks again Colin. See you next trip. Cool
72 Super
63 Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jcbrock_t2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I scheduled a day with Colin for the first time this year. My son has inherited our 1976 baywindow, and I wanted to get him started on a foundation of how to maintain it. They spent a great day covering the basics of brake, ignition, injection and valve adjustment, and when my son was working on those I was able to grab Colin and grill him on various bodywork and other issues I am trying to address.

Colin is a great teacher. After explaining the workings of the ignition they went on to something else, but after half an hour he innocently asked my son "so what's going on if your points gap starts to get bigger?". The look on the poor kid's face was priceless: "you mean I'm going to have to THINK?" I don't know how much he'll remember, but it was a lot more fun than me trying to get him there.

Our day was very basic due to my son's level of knowledge, but Colin has an in-depth understanding of any aspect of your bus. I recommend him highly.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcbrock_t2 wrote:

Colin is a great teacher.

After explaining the workings of the ignition they went on to something else, but after half an hour he innocently asked my son "so what's going on if your points gap starts to get bigger?". The look on the poor kid's face was priceless: "you mean I'm going to have to THINK?" I don't know how much he'll remember, but it was a lot more fun than me trying to get him there.

And the teacher can't not be the teacher . . .
Point gap does not get bigger, it only gets smaller over time, which makes the dwell number get bigger. That's what you were thinking of . . .

I love this itinerant career. Twelve years of meeting excellent people and I am only more devoted still to helping these cars be happy and road worthy.
Colin
Jivermo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled - [email protected] Reply with quote

Colin (guy to the right), the Itinerant Air Cooled Mechanic, Guru and Maestro, has recently completed his 4th or 5th workday with me, helping me get my '78 Westy in good order. Where can I begin? I have learned so much about the workings of the air cooled engine, its health and care, from this guy. He first made a call on me in the spring of '13, as I was thinking of going on a big trip in my bus. We got the engine into tip top shape during that workday, and he told me to go for it. I drove over 4,000 miles throughout the eastern US on that trip, and Colin contributed greatly to my confidence in being able to deal with whatever came up on my journey, mechanical wise. I had an incredible time on the road! In subsequent visits, we have dealt with end play issues, installing a rebuilt engine that turned out to have a leaking oil gallery passage (arggg), clutch, pressure plate, the mystery of fuel injection resolved, AFM tuning, hydraulic valves-their care and proper adjustment...the list goes on and on. Over the visits, Colin has become a friend to the family-my granddaughter Anabella loves this guy, with his interesting drawings and relaxed demeanor with kids. But, when the work begins-be on notice. He has told me this point blank: "Okay, we start work now! Now, I am no longer a friend of yours-be prepared to dig in and take this work with the seriousness it requires and deserves." A workday with Colin is a commitment to excellence and craftsmanship. You will learn of things about your vehicle you never have even considered before. A fellow bus owner here in Miami, who I referred to Colin for a couple of days, told me that he had never had an experience to equal the work time with Colin. Every male in his extended Latino family got pulled into the action, and they all relished the grand experience. In two days they went from a bus with wiring problems and the engine sitting on the garage floor, to driving it off down the street in the late afternoon of the second day. My friend had never driven his bus before! His excitement was off the charts.
If you have an air cooled vehicle that you care about and want to keep running, and driving, you have to have a day with this guy. It will become much more than a day with a mechanic who happens to know his stuff. It becomes a real break in what you do during your normal life. The experience expands your horizons and causes you to think, and become alive with the possibilities of your time here on the planet. I do not exaggerate this notion...you and your vehicle will both gain from a day with the Itinerant Air Cooled Guy.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Extended Cuban Family Work Day:

THall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled - [email protected] Reply with quote

This past June was my third visit with Colin and I look forward to the 2016 itinerary.

Through his teachings and guidance I have gained the confidence to take on any task needed to keep my bus alive and well.

Thank you Colin for your dedication and passion for these vehicles....and the people who drive and enjoy them.
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled - [email protected] Reply with quote

Had my second annual visit with Colin this past summer. It was a two-day visit with the first day dedicated to my bus and the second to my son's bug. We worked on everything from the engine to the brakes to the suspension on our vehicles. You name it, he'll teach and help you through it and his effectively hourly rate is a heck of a lot less than if you'd taken it in to be serviced by a shop.

Can't wait for next year's visit!

Oscar: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, 2.0L FI, Manual Transaxle
weisswurst
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled - [email protected] Reply with quote

Hello all, I was lucky enough this year to have my second app with Colin and to also be the second stop on the 2015 Itinerary as Colin left Miami to head across the country. Cool I am truly amazed that in my diesel VW world Colin (being such a AC guy) always is able to figure out my engines and help tune them giving me a MASSIVE improvement in my diesel Sinka this year. I was able to crest over 45mph for the first time since I owned it! I would recommend Colin's service to anyone here even if you are not Air-Cooled since his knowledge of all things VW is incredible and his ability to read the bently and and learn new stuff (like working on diesels) on the fly is a real skill.
If you are on the "fence" on booking him my advice would be to "go for it"
you won't regret it and this kind of "housecall" service with an instructor teaching you to fix your car on site is a rare thing indeed.
-jeff in Florida
BellePlaine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled - [email protected] Reply with quote

As an ACVW driver, you are your best mechanic, even if you take your VW to a shop. Knowing how to tune your engine, how to fight rust, and essentially how to troubleshoot and do good work on your VW is essential to a long-term relationship. Colin has visited me and my bus for the past 5 years or so. Every year, I plan to have him visit and whole hearty recommend him to all of my local VW friends and would recommend him to you too.

Some of the jobs we've done on my 1975 bus are:

Swapped aftermarket carbs for stock fuel injections.
Learned how to and checked and set flywheel endplay.
Learned how to and changed pushrod tube o-rings.
Learned how to and installed grease zerk fittings into ball joints.
Learned how to and replaced front door window rubber/scrapers.
Learned how to inspect Type 4 engine case for damage.
Learned how to and changed distributor drive shaft.
Learned how to adjust fuel injection AFM.
Learned how to and changed heater cables.
And more...

Next year, we will change ball joint boots and transmission side seals.

Colin is a traveling VW mechanic who will work on your VW with you in your own driveway. Guys like this don't grow on trees. Please consider hiring him for a day, you won't be disappointed.

Chris

Whether you are a novice or know your way around an ACVW, a day with Amskeptic is money well spent. My mechanical ability/knowledge/bus is always better after Colin visits.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/memberlist.php
Jim Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled - [email protected] Reply with quote

Visit 3.5 this past summer. Another good one; although only a 1/2 day. Colin was prompt and after a short exchange of pleasantries we were off to getting my '67 bug's poor running issue diagnosed. The issue would prove to elude us though. Much was accomplished though in tracking it down and Colin also ducked his head into the back of my bus while I was on a bug task. He fixed a linkage issue and noticed/temporarily fixed a choke issue. Two thumbs up and I will continue to refer others to him.
'85 Vanagon Westy - George In the Stable 2020-?/'74 Weekender - Ophelia In the Stable 2007- ?/'69 Beetle Convertible - SOLD 2017-2020/'67 Beetle - September SOLD 2013-2016 Sad /'67 SO42 Westy - Sage SOLD 1996-2001 Sad Sad/'69 Transporter - Baby Blue SOLD 1995-1995/'72 Westy - Nelly - SOLD 1990-1995--STOP FRACKING
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled - [email protected] Reply with quote

I had my first visit with Colin this year. I've read his posts for the last couple of years on The Samba and his site. I was always amazed by his knowledge. Reading the Bay forum, you quickly know who knows their stuff. I was always impressed with his ability to articulate suggestions to diagnose and then correct a problem with people who are posting for help.
I have three old VW's (see below). I've performed all the work on them myself, to include me rebuilding the engines in the bugs. I've been working on VW's since the early 80's in HS. My knowledge of buses was limited until buying the 70' in July of 2014. I've been doing a mechanical refresh of it since I purchased it (see thread below). I really wanted someone with Colin's experience to drive each VW.

I wanted Colin to stop by for the day and access all three VW's. I didn't have a specific project for him to tackle, I only wanted him to nit pick all three VW's. With his decades of VW experience, I knew Colin would be the right person for this.

Colin did as I asked. He drove, inspected and critiqued all three cars. He made suggestions on all three and also did some minor adjustments on both bugs engines. He went over the bus and left me with a list of things to finish up on during my mechanical refresh. He pointed out all sorts of things I wasn't aware of and wouldn't of known. Colin knows all the "why's" in excruciating detail when it comes to VW's or mechanicals. I can adjust the timing to what distributor I have while he'll tell you EXACTLY why the timing is set there. I don't get buried in all the fine detail of mechanical knowledge that Colin has. He's all about the detail. An example is- I had refreshed my sliding door and re-lubed everything. The door worked beautifully. Colin checked it and said it could be better. I scoffed.. 15 minutes later, it was better. I went to his bus and popped the sliding door open. Wow, it was as smooth as butter and even better than mine.

Overall, Colin is a terrific value to stop by your place and help you with your VW. He's an excellent teacher, is very patient and is hands on in tackling whatever your VW requires. Colin is very intelligent, friendly, well read and can discuss any topic you care to bring up. We enjoyed some memorable laughs through the day and had a great conversation with my GF over a nice dinner she made for us.

It was money well spent.

Thanks Colin

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eighty horses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled - [email protected] Reply with quote

My first visit was this past year. Very highly recommended. Colin is a master of both explaining and doing. That is rare with technically gifted people. Although we had some problems (due to a shitty 3rd party engine builder) that precluded a totally smooth visit, Colin hung in with me online after the visit and helped that way. I cannot recommend him more strongly. A great guy with a great mission: Puttering across the country, keeping the spirit and soul of the ACVW world alive, one day at a time.
wdollie6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled - [email protected] Reply with quote

Colin visited me in Spring of 2016 to ply his expertise on both my 72 Super Beetle convertible and my 1.7 engine for my 72 Westy (which was still offsite). We fought through a self-imposed bent fuel rod on my beetle then focused on Westy engine. He did his best to fight a worn out distributor which badly needed replacement, interestingly enough when I found a replacement and installed Colin had tuned the engine well enough so that if fired up, idled and ran great, minimal adjustment needed. It is now in the bus and is performing great. Will see him in 2017 to finish going through an entire tune up...

I highly recommend Colin for his knowledge and willingness to share that knowledge, intellect and work ethic. While we may disagree on political matters (difficult election year for all of us) we agree on all things VW. I look forward to his visit this coming year.

If anyone would like would be happy to converse about his visit and what to expect, PM me.

1972 Westy, Sierra Yellow
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jivermo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled - [email protected] Reply with quote

http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com is the URL for Colin Kellogg, the Itinerant Air Cooled Mechanic. He has just closed out his 2016 run
, and the post about his tour is quite interesting. I've written several times about Colin's help with the work on my bus, and what I've learned about almost all of the systems of the vehicle. The knowledge I've gained has enabled me, as recently as last week, to help the owner of a 1984 Vanagon who was stuck in South Florida with a puzzling brake problem. We got it sorted out, and he is on his way, due in part to what I learned from spending work days with Colin. There are very few professional mechanics still working who have the knowledge and experience to figure out the problems with our chosen vehicles. Every year it becomes more important that we become familiar with our own Volkswagens, how they work, and how to repair them properly. These are good vehicles, and many of their systems are engineering marvels. You, too, can join the many satisfied clients of Colin, and study under his masterful
guidance. It is time and money very well spent, and I recommend him highly.
whc03grady
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled - [email protected] Reply with quote

I'm torn between offering my own stories of struggle and triumph with Colin (aka Amskeptic) and shaming acVW owners into scheduling an appointment. So both, shortly:

Colin has been with me (and my wife, on a couple occasions) taking engines out, putting them in, tuning them, doing wheel bearings, steering, brakes, electrical, f.i....everything but bodywork, come to think of it. He really cares about your cars and how they fit into your life.

You almost certainly don't live anywhere near a mechanic with Colin's knowledge and patience (no, you really don't). And if you do, s/he probably won't let you work on the car with them. And it's cheaper. Schedule a visit.
blankmange wrote:
The Bentley assumes that the car is complete.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Itinerant Air-Cooled - [email protected] Reply with quote

I drove my 77 Westy all the way from north of Toronto, Canada to north of Tampa Florida to spend a day with Colin, then turned around and drove home.

It was time and money well spent, and 'Enigma' (as Colin unknowingly named my bus) and her driver are improved as a result.

Highly recommended.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
Jim Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Amskeptic - [email protected] Reply with quote

Visit 4.5 done. Maybe more, losing track. Great day of total exhaust system refresh and repair, shift rod bushing replace, mixture adjustment, and spark plug issue assessment Mad . There has been an increase in price, but it is WELL worth it, hell, to me it is a bargain. For those who have yet to experience an Itinerant A/C visit, you get the issues dealt with on your list in order of importance/necessity (as deemed by you) and accomplished with efficiency. If you are knew to the IAC world you get a personal knowledge assessment and requisite lessons as deemed necessary. Throughout the work day processes you also get constant hands-on tutoring. Also throughout the day you get ongoing diagnostic and assessment services as various areas of the VW pass before Colin's eyes, fingers, or ears. His knowledge base is staggering and this ongoing verbal assessment helps to inform your future efforts to "keep these beautiful cars on the road." Caveat--your original list might get thrown into turmoil as these in-process diagnostic services yield evidence of more pressing matters. If you don't remember stuff well, write down what he is telling you and what you talk about. Be prepared to be challenged and expected to think, you are in effect in school. Word of advice, use Colin. Ask as many questions as you can. Also, non-VW chatter naturally happens. He is completely amiable to being cut off and efforts redirected back to the tasks or VW themes at hand. Two thumbs up, again!! As for my spark plug issue, I was informed that the threads in the hole are stripped and I'll need to yoke the head and take care of business. >>>sigh<<< Onward and forward...
'85 Vanagon Westy - George In the Stable 2020-?/'74 Weekender - Ophelia In the Stable 2007- ?/'69 Beetle Convertible - SOLD 2017-2020/'67 Beetle - September SOLD 2013-2016 Sad /'67 SO42 Westy - Sage SOLD 1996-2001 Sad Sad/'69 Transporter - Baby Blue SOLD 1995-1995/'72 Westy - Nelly - SOLD 1990-1995--STOP FRACKING
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: