Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Distributor Cap what's the difference
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
binger59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Distributor Cap what's the difference Reply with quote

I'm running a distributor cap with the pins in it in my 84'. Does it matter wether I use the posts or not as long as I have the right wires for the cap? I ran the same thing with my old 84' van and never seemed to have a problem. I just wondered if anyone else was doing the same thing.

Bing
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as your wires match the cap you should be OK.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, the wire connector type should match. The wbx also used a shielded cap to reduce RF noise in the engine compartment. This was for the obvious benefit to radio reception, but I believe it was also to reduce interference with the low voltage signals produced by both the o2 sensor and the Hall generator in the diz.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: While You're At It... Reply with quote

Would anyone like to recommend OEM or an aftermarket brand for the cap?

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around how the WBX Vanagon's ignition works, but I'm fairly sure that Winston will never need points, which rejoices me. I put a Pertronix in the '70 Dart and there was much rejoicing. I guess the cap fails sooner or later, and may as well have an idea of what's the best replacement.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooner or later? Sooner is more like it. It won't necessarily "fail", just slowly degrade and cost you spark energy. Caps, rotors, and wires wear out at a steady rate, along with the spark plugs. That is all what's called the high-tension side of the ignition system (the coil secondary windings included), the parts that handle high voltage (from like 12 to 40 kV). The wires themselves don't actually "wear", but their insulation does steadily, tired from holding back the high energy that wants to leak out to ground anywhere it can. The cap and rotor wear much much faster, because a high-voltage spark jumps from the rotor tip to a cap pole with every spark, carrying a few atoms of metal and carbon with it. Think of the low voltage process that pitted the points over time, but on massive doses of steroids.

I'm not an OEM parts snob, there's places it matters and places it doesn't, and many places where aftermarket is clearly superior, but experience has shown that with Bosch electric systems, there is only one replacement parts brand, and you should accept no other: Bosch.

You should use cap and rotor generally not longer than 30k miles of service. Same with plugs, although the rare metal-electrode types do deliver much longer service than plain copper cores (whether they actually work well with a particular ignition system is another matter). Good quality wires tend to last awhile longer, but I wouldn't go to 60k on them. As Dog has said, there is a huge difference between Bosch Premium and Super Premium wiresets. It's Super all the way for these motors, as their OEM ignitions are actually very high-energy and quite excellent as it turns out.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tully Mars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Distributor Cap what's the difference Reply with quote

So, I am about to replace mine. 84 1.9 Wasserboxer.

How do I tell whether it is the 83/Early 84 type or the Late 84/85 type.

Can you tell from the VIN number when they made the switch?

And I don't understand "the distributor cap with the pins". What does that mean?

Thanks Folks!

Mars
_______
84 Wolfsburg Westfalia
Hobie Cow
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: